Why become a member? ×

To J Bass or not to J bass!

Nathan

I started my bass journey last year by purchasing a Schecter Stilleto Elite (Diamond series) from BC's market place. The previous owner (bassmanady) swapped out the pick ups for Delano SBCs and its sounds lovely to my untrained ears, has a large array of sounds and is comfortable to play. Having learnt my bass playing from you tube and books, I'm now about to invest in some lessons. My question is this! I have a serious hankering for a J Bass, is it worth my while buying one prior to the major learning investment of the next 6 months of weekly lessons or do I wait? Is a J Bass going to be any easier to learn on than the current Schecter?

[quote name='Nathan' timestamp='1502403265' post='3351293']...Is a J Bass going to be any easier to learn on than the current Schecter?
[/quote]

I'm not expert in the matter, but I can't imagine for one second how a J-bass is going to be any easier (or harder...) to learn on than your current bass, except for the purely subjective notion of motivation. If it pleases you to change, there's no problem, but they're just as hard (or easy...) as each other, as far as learning to play the bass is concerned. Your call, of course, and well done for wanting to get started on lessons (always a Good Thing...) but don't delude yourself. I'll pass on my usual encouraging remark, though... It's the first forty years or so that are the hardest, after which things sometimes tend to get (slightly...) better. Good luck, whatever you decide. B)

Always to J bass.

I even saw footage of Rob Trujillo playing one with Metallica the other day.

So,in conclusion, from funk, to country to metal there's nothing a Jazz Bass can't do.

Disclaimer: You can play any kind of music on any kind of bass.

Edit: I should add, that in my opinion the Jazz bass is all about the neck profile. Some people love it, some people hate it and some people are indifferent.

Is it any any easier to play?

Possibly, but only if you happen to be in the demographic that prefers slimmer necks. You won't know until you try it.

Edited by Cato

I own a few Ps and Ray and a J , along with a few other types of bass

They all do the same thing . Except for 1 P bass which I have really old flats on which can't get any sustain

As someone said above , unless you have any issues than mean a slimmer neck suits you better there is no reason to get a J over your current bass at this stage , of course except if you have the money and just really want one.

Edited by lojo

A Jazz bass might be easier to play due to it's slightly narrower neck, but to be honest, I can't notice it going from my Js to my Ps.

But the variety of tones you can get with a Jazz bass is very wide. From a P sound by soloing the neck pickup to a Rickish sound soloing the bridge pickup to all points in between.

The assymetrical shape makes it a bit awkward to play sitting, but adjust your strap short so the bass doesn't rely on your thigh for support and you'll be alright :)

[quote name='Nathan' timestamp='1502403265' post='3351293']
I started my bass journey last year by purchasing a Schecter Stilleto Elite (Diamond series) from BC's market place. The previous owner (bassmanady) swapped out the pick ups for Delano SBCs and its sounds lovely to my untrained ears, has a large array of sounds and is comfortable to play. Having learnt my bass playing from you tube and books, I'm now about to invest in some lessons. My question is this! I have a serious hankering for a J Bass, is it worth my while buying one prior to the major learning investment of the next 6 months of weekly lessons or do I wait? Is a J Bass going to be any easier to learn on than the current Schecter?
[/quote]

Easier to learn on? Sorry but if you are learning, they're all foreign to you. Have a J by all means but please don't convince yourself that it or any other bass will take away the need for you to apply yourself to your chosen instrument.

Some instruments are easier to play than others. This subset of instruments varies depending on the player and their requirements. Thing is, you have to be a player before you can decide what's right. It might be early for you to have a considered opinion but it will help you to form one if you play the field for a good while before you get engaged young man.

Sorry, I slipped into avuncular mode just for a moment but I'm okay now.

According to your original post you like your current bass. It feels "comfortable" to play and sounds "lovely".

You've already got a good bass there and you are way too early in the cycle to start with all that GAS crap. So put your head down and focus on playing bass and being the best bass player you can be.

This bass is not holding you back. Think about upgrading when you've got to a point where you need more out of your bass that the current instrument can give you.

My first bass was a Squier VM Jazz, considered at the time to be a cheap but cheerful bass. Since then I have had a few basses, including a luthier made one, and it still feels like home when I come back to the Squier. It is the one bass I will never sell - don't rush from your first instrument if you feel comfortable with it.

Thanks for your replies guys, the J Bass thing is very likely GAS! Some very sensible suggestions to stick with the Schecter which will also save me the trouble of explaining to the wife why I need to spend money on a Bass when "you can only play one at a time".

Something I didn't notice anyone mentioning is that your teacher may have some useful advice on bass choice once they have seen you play. They may also have a few basses you can try which would make your choice of next bass (because it's a when, not if!) a more informed one.

So I would wait until you have had a few lessons before you decide if you think you can resist!

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1502441991' post='3351428']
...Think about upgrading when you've got to a point where you need more out of your bass that the current instrument can give you.
[/quote]

I agree.

Another way to look at it would be to reward yourself for reaching a goal. Set one that is achievable but one that will be a significant milestone in your development as a competent player.

With me, I told myself I needed to be able to play through, with no drop outs, any three random numbers played concurrently from the 40 odd songs I had on my play-along list. I used the random play facility on a laptop utility and worked at it until I had them all down well enough to do it. Then I bought a brand new five string because I wanted the low B.

You might have your own ideas about this. Good luck and before I forget again, welcome to the forum.

Try a Jazz out and if you prefer them to the Schecter get one and keep the Schecter as well. Nowt wrong with having nice instruments, but if you don`t feel as comfortable on a Jazz don`t feel tempted to buy one and think you`ll "grow into it". First impressions on a musical instrument are usually spot on when it comes to playability.

[quote name='Nathan' timestamp='1502452613' post='3351548']
save me the trouble of explaining to the wife why I need to spend money on a Bass when "you can only play one at a time".
[/quote]

you have to stop this nonsense NOW before it's too late.

You can't play (Insert fave band name) with a P I need a Jazz for those tones.

Also clearly explain to the wife that [size=5]B=n+1[/size] ALWAYS

where B=optimal number of basses to own, n= number of basses currently owned

OP I'd stay away from bass forums :) 98% of chat is about gear. Buy stuff if that makes you happy, but your new car won't make you a better driver.

You sound pretty happy with your current squeeze, channel that GAS into chord tones and 16th notes. Good luck mate

A lot depends on your financial situation, especially if you've committed to lessons.

If you can afford the Jazz AND the lessons, then go for it. If you can't afford the Jazz and the lessons, stick with taking the lessons, learn some more, and then buy the Jazz afterwards.

Definitely agree with "try one out first".

No, a Jazz bass is not going to be easier to play. Why not learn on a slightly wider neck(if this is the case) and when Jazz Bass day comes you will have the skills and more..

IMO. And i know its boring. But, forget about the Jazz Bass for now. You have a perfectly good bass, those Schecter's are great basses. Just concentrate and spend your money on your lessons. In the long run, you will win. Think of the Jazz bass at the goal in the end.

Edited by bubinga5