Why become a member? ×

To De-fret or not To De-Fret...............THAT is the question.....

donslow

Just found a bass I completely forgot I even owned at the back of a dark cupboard just recently

It’s a Hofner Ignition?! B Bass violin bass, I don’t really like them much at all, I bought it used about 18 months ago for a small recording project I got involved in as, recorded, they don’t sound too terrible, I used it, I forgot about it.

I’m currently finishing off my latest Precision build so have a bit of a builders bug at the minute

Just for the fits a giggles, I’m wondering how it would sound de-fretted, has anyone here ever had a fretless one of these basses or even de-fretted one their selves?

What would be the general opinion on this? Would it make it a better bass? Worse bass? Is it worth doing as an experiment or should I move it on and consider getting a full scale fretless? What would be the up-sides and down-sides of having a short scale hollow fretless bass in terms of tone?! If any at all!

Opinions all greatly received

If you don't like it as is then why not have a go? As long as you don't butcher it then re fretting could be your next project! I imagine a fretless Beatle bass would sound quite good. It's not like you're devaluing a classic original 60's hofner, I say do it.

I de-fretted my Framus Star bass when I was a kid. It sounded OK, very DB, which what I was intending, but I also reduced the tone available by about 80%. An outcome I hadn't properly thought through!

Sounds like you're bored and looking for something to do. I'd sell the bass and make a better fretless.