Why become a member? ×

USA Musicman Sterling Bass....very,very low price!

Check this Musicman Sterling Bass,on just now at £18. I had a bid in myself,contacted the seller twice,with no reply. Something not right,so I bottled out. Check out the low feedback score and no info,also,he has been on ebay for years,not bought very much.Or maybe this is the bargain of the century!!

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122637660893

That fact he says it needs collecting is always a positive as if it turns out to be a duff then just walk away! Having said that, it looks legit to me, just needs a scratch plate and a little TLC. Anything under £300 would be a total steal.

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1502624801' post='3352491']
The weird thing is it has a bridge with mutes like a pre EB Stingray, the tuners look older than the body and neck as well.

Bids at £88 well worth looking at if you are local.
[/quote]
[quote name='Rikki1984' timestamp='1502691073' post='3352819']
Very early Sterlings did have that bridge with the mutes.

Potential bargain there for someone.
[/quote]
[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1502693456' post='3352828']
Ah, I didn't know that :)
[/quote]

The bridge dates it from 1993 to 1996. The bridge looks to be what's known as a Flea Bridge which went from 1992 to 1994, but the first Sterlings were from 1993.

Around 1993 some basses started shipping with what is known as the transitional bridge, which is the Flea bridge with the mute assembly removed... and the shorter modern bridge appeared in 1996. Retrofit mute assemblies were available though.

Edit: EB took over MM in 1984, so using mutes as an indication of pre-EB is wrong, basically.

Edited by dlloyd

I've just picked up this very bass from Dunster in Somerset.

It's in need of a neck and body refinish, all hardware needs cleaning and polishing and it needs a battery cover and pick guard.

However the neck is good, the preamp is there and it all works fine. It even sounds good despite its 20 year old strings so just a fettle is all that's required.
That's me off to the potting shed for a while.......

[quote name='vinorange' timestamp='1503172925' post='3356269']
I've just picked up this very bass from Dunster in Somerset.

It's in need of a neck and body refinish, all hardware needs cleaning and polishing and it needs a battery cover and pick guard.

However the neck is good, the preamp is there and it all works fine. It even sounds good despite its 20 year old strings so just a fettle is all that's required.
That's me off to the potting shed for a while.......
[/quote]

Excellent!

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update on this bass!

All hardware been polished now, frets polished, rosewood board cleaned and lemon oiled (that took at least 5 hours to get 20 years of crap off the wood), loose wire in preamp soldered, new strings on, body lightly 0000 guage wool polished and set up by Ged Green in Cheadle.
Ged's words "it's never been played".

Result for a 24 year old bass.

Will post some pics soon.

I say never been played...
Apparently it was bought for the seller's husband by his father in the 90s. He tried it, didn't get anywhere and then put it into storage - in the loft.......
It had a nice general gunky layer of dusty muck if that's a way to describe it and the frets were heavily tarnished.
I guess I would too be if I'd been in a loft for 20 years.