Advice on recording, please...

6 replies to this topic

#1 Rob MacKillop

No longer a newbie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 06:40 PM

I'm playing my bass through a Phil Jones Double 4, using a mono line out, the cable split into two mono lines going into a Fostex FR2LE hard disk sound recorder. It works, and the sound is not bad, however it is very quiet. There isn't any way to up the output volume from the amp, other than turn the Master up and play loud. I'd rather not do that. I upload the sound file to my laptop, and in Wavelab bring up the volume to an acceptable level, and add a little reverb. But I think it would be better if the Line Out volume was higher in the first instance.

I also have a Phil Jones Bass Buddy somewhere in the house. I wonder if that could be utilised in some way?

Another solution would be to use the mic I have, a Rode NT4 stereo mic, in front of the amp speaker.

I've never recorded the bass before, and wonder how to get the best out of the equipment I have? Any thoughts will be appreciated.
Danelectro Dead On 58 Longhorn Bass - very cool! Ibanez SRH500F fretless 4-string - loving it.

#2 Rob MacKillop

No longer a newbie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 06:44 PM

I've just realised I could put headphones into the amp while recording, which would cut the sound from the speaker, allowing me to turn the Master up full without breaking any windows....
Danelectro Dead On 58 Longhorn Bass - very cool! Ibanez SRH500F fretless 4-string - loving it.

#3 Dad3353

Basschat Lifer

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,955 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 07:09 PM

Posted Image

(Just to say 'Thanks' for the Mickey Baker stuff...)
Have a nice day
Dad3353 (Douglas...)

BassChat Terms & Conditions............... Forum Behaviour Guidelines............... Rules & Guidelines for The Marketplace

#4 Rob MacKillop

No longer a newbie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 07:20 PM

Thanks, "Dad"!

#5 Rob MacKillop

No longer a newbie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 10:37 AM

It dawned on me that all I need to do is go straight from the bass into the Fostex using the split jack cable. Problem solved.

Glad no one lost any sleep over that :lol:

#6 project_c

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 11:23 AM

Why not skip the fostex and go straight to the laptop?

#7 bazztard

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 778 posts
  • Interests:Learning YYZ note for note :)

Posted 14 August 2017 - 07:27 AM

yeah buy a Scarlett 2i2 Gen 2 and go straight into it with your bass then into your PC. I use Reaper DAW but there are lots out there. Reaper gives you a full version for free for a trial period then it only costs $60 for a license.
"I follow a long line of famous bass men, like the guy in the Who or the guy in Led Zeppelin who isn't Plant Page or Bonham"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users