Why become a member? ×

NBD Dingwall Afterburner

Rikki1984

I've been looking for a good Dingwall Afterburner for a while now and finally one has cropped up on Ebay. It didn't sell initially but I sent the seller a message and we agreed on a price.

It looks fantastic and is a joy to play. I had to sell a couple of basses to afford this but it was worth it. The even string tension really does make a difference. Its in virtually new condition apart from a couple of light marks on the bridge. It is fairly heavy (I'd guess 11-12lbs) but that's never been an issue to me.

Before I messaged the seller I emailed Dingwall for any info they may be able to provide on the bass. They got back to me within 2 hours with following response. Great service considering they had nothing t gain from me buying a used instrument!

[i]Hello Rikki, this is what I can tell you:[/i]

[i]Model: ABHS (Heavy Solid), probably in the 11-13 lb range[/i]
[i]Body: Bubinga[/i]
[i]Top: Wenge[/i]
[i]Color: Natural Gloss[/i]
[i]Neck: Wenge[/i]
[i]Fingerboard: Macassar Ebony[/i]
[i]Electronics: Glockenklang 3-Band Preamp with Dingwall Rotary Pickup Selector[/i]
[i]Pickups: FD3[/i]
[i]Hardware: Hipshot (custom made for Dingwall)[/i]
[i]Ship Date: Feb 10, 2014[/i]

[i]This bass was the first ABHS built. This model is still available but you can no longer get it with bubinga. We don't use any woods that are on the CITES list and bubinga is one of them. Only 8 of this model has been produced at this point.[/i]

[i]Jeff Frey[/i]
[i]Dingwall Guitars[/i]

I know - no pictures, no bass - so here you are! They really don't do it justice though.

Edited by Rikki1984

Cheers guys. I'm loving it so far.

Tone is so subjective but it sounds massive to me. All the different pickup configurations are distinct and useable.

I just recorded a quick cover on it to give you a general idea of its overdriven tone. I'm not much of a pick player but I wanted to do a song to test the b string out and Periphery seemed an appropriate band.

I'll try to record something clean if I have the time.

Sorry for the extremely sloppy playing - I'm not really comfortable playing with a pick.

https://youtu.be/pYSaFApuQGs

Edited by Rikki1984

[quote name='Rikki1984' timestamp='1502528837' post='3351998']
I've been looking for a good Dingwall Afterburner for a while now and finally one has cropped up on Ebay. It didn't sell initially but I sent the seller a message and we agreed on a price.

It looks fantastic and is a joy to play. I had to sell a couple of basses to afford this but it was worth it. The even string tension really does make a difference. Its in virtually new condition apart from a couple of light marks on the bridge. It is fairly heavy (I'd guess 11-12lbs) but that's never been an issue to me.

Before I messaged the seller I emailed Dingwall for any info they may be able to provide on the bass. They got back to me within 2 hours with following response. Great service considering they had nothing t gain from me buying a used instrument!

[i]Hello Rikki, this is what I can tell you:[/i]

[i]Model: ABHS (Heavy Solid), probably in the 11-13 lb range[/i]
[i]Body: Bubinga[/i]
[i]Top: Wenge[/i]
[i]Color: Natural Gloss[/i]
[i]Neck: Wenge[/i]
[i]Fingerboard: Macassar Ebony[/i]
[i]Electronics: Glockenklang 3-Band Preamp with Dingwall Rotary Pickup Selector[/i]
[i]Pickups: FD3[/i]
[i]Hardware: Hipshot (custom made for Dingwall)[/i]
[i]Ship Date: Feb 10, 2014[/i]

[i]This bass was the first ABHS built. This model is still available but you can no longer get it with bubinga. We don't use any woods that are on the CITES list and bubinga is one of them. Only 8 of this model has been produced at this point.[/i]

[i]Jeff Frey[/i]
[i]Dingwall Guitars[/i]

I know - no pictures, no bass - so here you are! They really don't do it justice though.

[/quote]

Wonderful bass, congrats! A rare one then :) Oh and Jeff is absolutely top notch. We e-chat often and he is always quick to help and will always do what he can.

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1502570490' post='3352289']

Wonderful bass, congrats! A rare one then :) Oh and Jeff is absolutely top notch. We e-chat often and he is always quick to help and will always do what he can.
[/quote]

I was really impressed with his response. Fantastic service - I'll recommend Dingwall to anyone who'll listen!

[quote name='Bobthedog' timestamp='1502573129' post='3352298']
Good job you did not have that lying around when I took your Combustion off you! :D

That is a great looking bass.
[/quote]

Cheers mate. That combustion is a great bass, I hope you're still enjoying it!

[quote name='Defo' timestamp='1502619088' post='3352446']
Stunning, mine will never leave me
[/quote]

Thanks! I've been through my fair share of basses over the years but I can't see this one going anywhere any time soon! :-)