What is this scale/mode/arpeggio and how does it work?

3 replies to this topic

#1 subaudio

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 01:03 PM

Hi, this relates to a guitar lead line I've heard Francis Dunnery and Alan Holdsworth use it a lot as well but I don't know what it is.

It starts at 4.14 and ends at 4.17

Id like to incorporate into my bass playing but don't know what the scale/mode or arpeggio used is and how it relates to the chord under it.

Anyone know please?

http://smarturl.it/SonsOfApolloPS

#2 Steve Woodcock

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 12:47 AM

I've just done a quick transcription of the part for you, it's important to note where the chord tones are so I have highlighted them in red, I have also noted the melodic devices being used:

Attached File  monthly_08_2017/post-454-0-79046500-1502670438.png   70.32K

So, the first thing of note is the wholetone scale (plus an additional chromatic passing note) that starts from the fifth of the chord on beat 6 of the first bar, this is giving a very 'outside' sound because of the major 7th and minor 2nd intervals.

The next things of note are the two enclosures - these are devices that encircle the target note with notes from above and below and they are typical bebop language. The first features two chromatic notes from a tone above, then a semitone below, then a tone above; the second is encircled by a semi tone below and a semi tone above.

The last thing of note features the major 9th, minor 7th and suspended 4th of the chord approached by a semi tone above - again, typical bebop language. Note that the sequence continues to the E but this has been displaced by an octave.

#3 subaudio

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 02:34 AM

Steve Woodcock, on 14 August 2017 - 12:47 AM, said:

I've just done a quick transcription of the part for you, it's important to note where the chord tones are so I have highlighted them in red, I have also noted the melodic devices being used:

Signs of the Times - Sons of Apollo.png

So, the first thing of note is the wholetone scale (plus an additional chromatic passing note) that starts from the fifth of the chord on beat 6 of the first bar, this is giving a very 'outside' sound because of the major 7th and minor 2nd intervals.

The next things of note are the two enclosures - these are devices that encircle the target note with notes from above and below and they are typical bebop language. The first features two chromatic notes from a tone above, then a semitone below, then a tone above; the second is encircled by a semi tone below and a semi tone above.

The last thing of note features the major 9th, minor 7th and suspended 4th of the chord approached by a semi tone above - again, typical bebop language. Note that the sequence continues to the E but this has been displaced by an octave.

Steve, thank you so much for all your effort, very kind indeed of you and has surpassed what I could have wished for, I'll study this tomorrow.
Again, huge thanks.

#4 Steve Woodcock

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:00 PM

View Postsubaudio, on 14 August 2017 - 02:34 AM, said:

Steve, thank you so much for all your effort, very kind indeed of you and has surpassed what I could have wished for, I'll study this tomorrow.
Again, huge thanks.

My pleasure, how are you getting on with it?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users