Why become a member? ×

Where do I start learning?

tantummenace

Okay so you may have seen my other posts asking noob questions... I really want to get better but I don't know where/how to learn! Preferably I can do it at home for free as I don't have much money or time! I have been watching SBL's so far and I'm gonna be honest I havent learned much at all. All I have learned is the major and minor scale... Not even using his tutorials after discovering he doesn't make sense to me. He doesn't have a good playlist on which videos are good to start with and he doesn't seem to make tutorials that are essential to know what you are doing for that tutorial! I know he has his pay thing and it is cheaper that getting a tutor but still I tried out the 2 week trial and it is still not that good! He spends most of the time talking about random sh*t and never gets to the point! Anyway I gonna stop ranting about Scott. Does anybody have a youtube playlist or website that teaches you in order? Not having to find videos and piece together what you need to know? Thanks in advance!

[quote name='tantummenace' timestamp='1502643647' post='3352651']
Does anybody have a youtube playlist or website that teaches you in order?
[/quote]

This site is one of the best IMO for teaching in order from the ground up.

[url="https://www.studybass.com/study-guide/"]https://www.studybass.com/study-guide/[/url]

Another site worth checking out is :

https://www.talkingbass.net/lessonmap/

Edited by Coilte

Get this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hal-Leonard-Bass-Method-Complete/dp/0793563836

Best beginner bass method book ever - takes you from beginner through to intermediate standard. Vast majority of the book is notation & tab, but it also does get you started on the reading thing (if you want to go down that route) as well.

Years from now you'll discover something and it'll be some of Scott's random sh*t.

When you try to learn a song look for simple easy ones and don't go google a bass tab or a play through. Listen to it holding your bass and see if you can guess the notes. Even if you don't you'll know it better when you do learn it from tab and your ear will develop.

The internet is an excellent resource.

But, some old school, advice, start trying to play along to your favourite songs. Don't worry too much about the actual basslines, start by trying to follow the chords and the rhythm , just playing root notes.

In my (somewhat limited) experience, people give up on playing an instrument because they get bored doing endless scales and exercises.

A bit of real world application is a lot more fun.

The rest comes along the way.

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1502662933' post='3352790']
But, some old school, advice, start trying to play along to your favourite songs. Don't worry too much about the actual basslines, start by trying to follow the chords and the rhythm , just playing root notes.

In my (somewhat limited) experience, people give up on playing an instrument because they get bored doing endless scales and exercises.

A bit of real world application is a lot more fun.

The rest comes along the way.
[/quote]

I would definitely agree with this, I started by playing along with my favourite bands, and within 3 months had joined a band, covering...my fave bands of the time. Playing with other people really helps you learn A LOT in a short space of time. Good luck however you do it!

Edited by Oopsdabassist

Join a band.

As soon you have the very basics down - i.e. you can get a decent note when you pluck the sting and you can move quickly and competently from one note to another - then you are ready to play in a band that will be accommodating for your skill level. You will learn far more and far quicker than any amount of practice at home looking at YouTube videos or tabs.

If you have little time for practice, as you say, why not learn by playing. Have a look at the various sites that have the tablature or music for the songs you love to listen to. If you go for tab it will save your limited time and get you playing the songs you love. It will also show you how the original bassist applied there grasp of the instrument to the song in question, you can use the phrases and changes to suit other pieces of music.

Its always easier to learn a song you already have a feel for. There are many ways to learn, so pick the one that suits your personality and the time you have to spare.

[quote name='mikel' timestamp='1502700715' post='3352891']
If you go for tab it will save your limited time and get you playing the songs you love.
[/quote]

OP...if you go for tab... use it VERY sparingly....if at all. Even with your limited time, it would be more beneficial to instead use it to develop your ear by playing along to songs and working out the bass lines yourself via trial and error WITHOUT TAB. Keep the songs simple to start with. Yes, it will seem frustrating at times, but in the long term it will pay dividends. If you become over reliant on tab, it can be a crutch.

[quote name='louisthebass' timestamp='1502651579' post='3352725']
Get this:

[url="https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hal-Leonard-Bass-Method-Complete/dp/0793563836"]https://www.amazon.c...e/dp/0793563836[/url]

Best beginner bass method book ever - takes you from beginner through to intermediate standard. Vast majority of the book is notation & tab, but it also does get you started on the reading thing (if you want to go down that route) as well.
[/quote]

+1 for this bass method ^^. Maybe the best £20 you'll spend (get the spiral-back edition, which will lie flat on a table, or even (gasp..!) on a music stand..!). It's very progressive, has interesting enough pieces to play and goes through just about everything you're likely to ask, at your own pace. Recommended, even whilst going over Youtube videos and all. This method has the keys to bass playing that you're looking for. B)

[quote name='tantummenace' timestamp='1502643647' post='3352651']
Okay so you may have seen my other posts asking noob questions... I really want to get better but I don't know where/how to learn! Preferably I can do it at home for free as I don't have much money or time! I have been watching SBL's so far and I'm gonna be honest I havent learned much at all. All I have learned is the major and minor scale... Not even using his tutorials after discovering he doesn't make sense to me. He doesn't have a good playlist on which videos are good to start with and he doesn't seem to make tutorials that are essential to know what you are doing for that tutorial! I know he has his pay thing and it is cheaper that getting a tutor but still I tried out the 2 week trial and it is still not that good! He spends most of the time talking about random sh*t and never gets to the point! Anyway I gonna stop ranting about Scott. Does anybody have a youtube playlist or website that teaches you in order? Not having to find videos and piece together what you need to know? Thanks in advance!
[/quote]

Before I forget again, welcome to Basschat. May I ask if you play along to any tunes yet?

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1502715974' post='3353035']
OP...if you go for tab... use it VERY sparingly....if at all. Even with your limited time, it would be more beneficial to instead use it to develop your ear by playing along to songs and working out the bass lines yourself via trial and error WITHOUT TAB. Keep the songs simple to start with. Yes, it will seem frustrating at times, but in the long term it will pay dividends. If you become over reliant on tab, it can be a crutch.
[/quote]

In my case a necessity.

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1502724387' post='3353121']
In my case a necessity.
[/quote]

If by this, you mean that tab is a necessity for you, then you could try to wean yourself off them gradually. IMO tab can be useful now and then when trying to learn a fast or complex song, or if the bass is not easily picked out in the recording. Even at that, they are invariably wrong. For easy songs, it's much more beneficial to try to work things out by ear.

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1502715974' post='3353035']
[/quote]

I was assuming the OP did not have a good ear, as that is exactly how I learned, from listening and playing. I also advised him to learn THE SONGS HE LIKES, if we are all shouting, then use the phrases, over the chords, for other songs. Dont take it all out of context.

[quote name='mikel' timestamp='1502725780' post='3353133']
I was assuming the OP did not have a good ear, as that is exactly how I learned, from listening and playing. I also advised him to learn THE SONGS HE LIKES, if we are all shouting, then use the phrases, over the chords, for other songs. Dont take it all out of context.
[/quote]

Point taken. My point however, is if you don't have a good ear, all the more reason to concentrate on rectifying that. Personally I have never found tab useful. YMMV. ;)

[quote name='louisthebass' timestamp='1502651579' post='3352725']
Get this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hal-Leonard-Bass-Method-Complete/dp/0793563836

[/quote]
Great book but always a lot cheaper on eBay (I think I paid £11 last year)
[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1502697155' post='3352857']
Join a band.

As soon you have the very basics down - i.e. you can get a decent note when you pluck the sting and you can move quickly and competently from one note to another - then you are ready to play in a band that will be accommodating for your skill level. You will learn far more and far quicker than any amount of practice at home looking at YouTube videos or tabs.
[/quote]
This ^^^^^ I started playing last October, had first gig in December and have played a few since. The push to learn stuff is good as it provides a focus and reason to practice. I appreciate that my theory my be behind a bit (hence having books like the one above) but overall I know my standard of playing is far higher than if I had just sat and home. The best bit though is that it's great fun. I am already counting down to our next gig in September.

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1502725758' post='3353132']
If by this, you mean that tab is a necessity for you, then you could try to wean yourself off them gradually. IMO tab can be useful now and then when trying to learn a fast or complex song, or if the bass is not easily picked out in the recording. Even at that, they are invariably wrong. For easy songs, it's much more beneficial to try to work things out by ear.
[/quote]

Sorry. My fault, I should have explained. It's necessary because I have three different things going on with my sight at the moment. I can sit and read score and slowly work out what it means but I will never sight read. In fact my ability to read and play tab at the same time is gradually going away. That is not to say that I don't use script at times where a tab is lacking.

Also, I have a real problem with ancient language and symbolism. Numbers speak louder to me. Thick aren't I?

I'd go along with the Hal Leonard books. They are nicely graded and because they are edited the tab/notation is accurate, a lot of free tab is a bit off which is really confusing when you are starting out. I found it really encouraging to learn real songs right from the start though, very motivating and the discipline of learning a whole song and not just the main riff makes you concentrate. Hal Leonard used to do a Fast Track Songbook series with CD's and notation/tabs of real songs to play along with. Quite old songs but good fun, and they'll match the book you've been recommended.

Reading music and learning music theory is going to make you the best bassist you can be and will unlock your imagination but you can get a long way with tab and it can be learned in minutes but regard it as a way of making quick notes and swapping ideas. Like reading a mates lecture notes rather than reading the textbook. For lazy bu****s like me you can get by with it.

The internet is great but finding things at the right level for you is tricky and most of it is unedited and can be confusing when starting out. It gets more useful later on. most importantly spend time with your bass and don't get too hooked on Basschat (other internet sites are available)

Have fun

In my neighborhood back in 1965, everybody was fasinated by what was happening in rock & Pop music. There were bands reheasing in every other basement and garage.

Every guy wanted to be in a band, that's not the case today, so It's hard to find other guys to start playing with.

The OP unfortunately might have to initially rely on YouTube play alongs and tutorials. The Hall Leonard stuff is also very good IMO.

If the OP is truely passionate about the bass guitar he'll be fine.

Blue

Edited by blue