Why become a member? ×

BF Gen 4 cabs - not anytime soon but a new BF Amp may be!

Al Krow

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1502896522' post='3354253']

I was using either a Thunderfunk 750 (now sold) or an Aguilar TH500.

The TH500 has been my main amp for about 3 years and I've had the SC's for nearly 2 years. I bought 1 cab from Merton and liked it so much that I ordered the second cab the next day. If you're style is anything like mine, Duck Dunn meets Nathan East with a little John McVie and Willie Weeks thrown in, you'd love it. I could probably gig with just 1 cab but I like the sound of both so I usually run 2 cabs. I haven't pushed them hard and still I can get loud very quickly. I've not been beyond noon on the gain and 1 o'clock on the master and we were [u]very[/u] loud that night.

Where are you? I'm not playing for a few weeks, but if you're in the South East I've got some gigs coming up at the end of September. You could have a listen.
[/quote]

Thanks very much, that's all great info. I'm stacked for gigs so probably won't get chance for a road trip, but thank you for the kind offer. I think I could make do with one too, but, a stack seems like it could do it all when needed. Plus, gets it closer to ear height and still weighs bugger all. I really like my bass and amp and the sounds they produce, so this could be a winner. Brighton isn't actually that far at all, so I should try get there.

Amp wise:
For me rotary dials are best as you can make fairly accurate notes what your settings are - ie 12 o'clock, 3 o'clock etc.

But what I'd really like is dials that click into the desired position and don't move easily like a usual dial once set. This ensures your settings don't move about during transportation, set up and removal, even when in a case.

The amount of gigs I've done where I've had to continually check every dial when setting up and sound checking is annoying, so a good dial thst clicks into position would be great.

Edited by la bam

[quote name='la bam' timestamp='1503333988' post='3357350']
Amp wise:
For me rotary dials are best as you can make fairly accurate notes what your settings are - ie 12 o'clock, 3 o'clock etc.

But what I'd really like is dials that click into the desired position and don't move easily like a usual dial once set. This ensures your settings don't move about during transportation, set up and removal, even when in a case.

The amount of gigs I've done where I've had to continually check every dial when setting up and sound checking is annoying, so a good dial thst clicks into position would be great.
[/quote]

No dude, you need an amp or pre-amp that has midi recallable settings. Then it won't matter if you move the dials in transit as it won't make any difference when the patch is called up.

Come to think of it, if Alex is reading this, do midi pots on your amp and you'd keep the analogue signal path but have the ability to save the settings.

[quote name='la bam' timestamp='1503333988' post='3357350']
Amp wise:

[/quote]

This is something one of our endorsers brought up - we're borrowing his solution! ;)

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1503401465' post='3357872']
Plus a tuner and some overdrive and we're there?
[/quote]

Tuner - maybe.

Drive - nope.

Too many people like too many different drive pedals. Drive pedals fall into that "I won't use so don't want to pay for it"

Whereas compressors are not only tone influencing, but can also be problem solvers in certain venues.

[quote name='Wolverinebass' timestamp='1503351257' post='3357581']
No dude, you need an amp or pre-amp that has midi recallable settings. Then it won't matter if you move the dials in transit as it won't make any difference when the patch is called up.

Come to think of it, if Alex is reading this, do midi pots on your amp and you'd keep the analogue signal path but have the ability to save the settings.
[/quote]

This is what I have with my BassPod. When I do amp sharing gigs I always tell the other bassist(s) that they are welcome to fiddle with the controls on my BassPod if they need to, because whatever they do when I select the patch for our first song everything goes back to what I want without even needing to check any of the settings.

I think an adjustable HPF is essential for a cab with a big low end. I'm not sure if the slope of the shelf needs adjusted, just the ability to move the cutoff frequency and db of cut. It just needs to be a steep cutoff in the first place.

I use the one built into the Zoom B3 and MS60 pedals. It's in there under the Fishman Preamp emulator - Ac Bs Pre. Works exactly the same as the Fishman.

Plonk one in the front of the signal chain, leave all other EQ alone before adjusting, find the sweet spot where the signal sounds right/bassy enough but removes any low end woof/boom from the sound, and then you can tweak the rest of the EQ to your liking.

That's how I use it with the Fearless stuff anyway. The F112 has a huge low end, arguably more than what is needed for most gigs.

Which begs the question...why carry a cab with that much low end, only to have to remove it with EQ? lol

I'm going to need to play "devil's advocate" here.

What is it about Alex's and Barefaced's amp expertise in a very competitive amp market place, which as we all know has some great amps with loyal followings, that is going to make it a "must try" product? Particularly when there won't be any going second hand examples to try out on a "de-risked" basis and with no real idea if they will command a decent resale value?

How many folks in the UK have actually bought a Handbox amp over the past couple of years that Wateroftyne so highly recommends? Ten? It's hard being a new, unknown entrant in such a crowded market place.

Alex has a first rate reputation in cabs and I suspect I will have my first BF cab in the not too distant future (I recently missed out on a couple of SCs in the FS section and the BB2 I was after has been withdrawn). I'm a huge fan of people becoming excellent at what they do, which Alex clearly is with his cabs, but also making sure that their product range stays fresh and remains ahead of the competition and does not rest on past glory.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained I know! And maybe he will succeed with his amps and, for sure, the strength of his brand will certainly help. But perhaps equally likely it could be an expensive distraction which could, at worst, hole his brand and company below the waterline - which would be an enormous shame. IMHO, YMMV etc etc!

I get what you are saying Al, but according to Alex this has been in development since 2011, or at least been thought about.

In that time he has forged ahead with speakers as he probably thought (rightly so) he can make a huge jump and improvement in the market.
Amp as you say is compettitve, but maybe speaker success drives revenue for amp success as well as having a reputation to build on.
In his own words from a FB video, he wants to build a cab where a bass player has one for their lifetime, and only change if they want a change, not due to failure.
Sooner or later that means he can't sell any more cabs, as they don't break, so he has to make an amp to survive!

Some factual comments there, but could be speculation in my behalf.
Obviously a driven bloke, has made a difference and may make more of a difference.
I do know you are applauding him really and we may get you to take the leap of faith!

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1503488656' post='3358613']
I'm going to need to play "devil's advocate" here.

What is it about Alex's and Barefaced's amp expertise in a very competitive amp market place, which as we all know has some great amps with loyal followings, that is going to make it a "must try" product? Particularly when there won't be any going second hand examples to try out on a "de-risked" basis and with no real idea if they will command a decent resale value?

How many folks in the UK have actually bought a Handbox amp over the past couple of years that Wateroftyne so highly recommends? Ten? It's hard being a new, unknown entrant in such a crowded market place.

Alex has a first rate reputation in cabs and I suspect I will have my first BF cab in the not too distant future (I recently missed out on a couple of SCs in the FS section and the BB2 I was after has been withdrawn). I'm a huge fan of people becoming excellent at what they do, which Alex clearly is with his cabs, but also making sure that their product range stays fresh and remains ahead of the competition and does not rest on past glory.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained I know! And maybe he will succeed with his amps and, for sure, the strength of his brand will certainly help. But perhaps equally likely it could be an expensive distraction which could, at worst, hole his brand and company below the waterline - which would be an enormous shame. IMHO, YMMV etc etc!
[/quote]

Despite the fact that we are still in the EU, I think a large part of any leap of faith regarding buying a Handbox amp will be held back by their location. For folk in the UK that will not be an issue with a Barefaced amp. The reputation built up with the cabs will give a massive head-start over a completely new enterprise. And as long as the business decisions are sensible ones (and I'm fairly certain they will be) then there should be no risk to the company and brand. From what I've seen and heard so far I like the Barefaced approach, so I for one am interested to see what the amp is like when it's ready for release. Now Alex has said it's still quite a way off. Is anyone taking bets about whether it will be out before The Greek gets his TE Elf? :lol:

[quote name='funkle' timestamp='1503488186' post='3358607']I think an adjustable HPF is essential for a cab with a big low end...

...Which begs the question...why carry a cab with that much low end, only to have to remove it with EQ? lol[/quote]

I don't recommend using high pass filters with Barefaced Gen 3 cabs except in two particular circumstances - acoustic/double bassists using variable ones to help with feedback and bassist with very powerful rackmount power amps which run flat to subsonic frequencies (most decent power amps have switchable highpass filters built in). I can understand wanting one with 3012LF based cabs because of how that driver is.

I wouldn't say I'm ignoring everyone because obviously we'd like this amp to be the ideal amp for lots of bassists but the concept is solely mine, I know what I want and I hope I know what a lot of you want (even though you might not realise it). As Henry Ford said "If I'd asked people what they wanted, they'd have said 'faster horses'" A while back we did a poll about amps over on facebook and the variety of opinions on feature sets (and the strength of opinion on them) was remarkable. Just EQ choices alone could have left everyone arguing for days... ;)

Not making an amp would be madness - I spend almost as much time helping our customers with amp buying decisions as I do with cabs but we don't get to sell any of the amps! And I wouldn't want to sell someone else's amp unless I thought it was perfect and was exactly the amp I'd design for me.

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1503512219' post='3358860']
I wouldn't say I'm ignoring everyone because obviously we'd like this amp to be the ideal amp for lots of bassists but the concept is solely mine, I know what I want and I hope I know what a lot of you want (even though you might not realise it). As Henry Ford said "If I'd asked people what they wanted, they'd have said 'faster horses'" A while back we did a poll about amps over on facebook and the variety of opinions on feature sets (and the strength of opinion on them) was remarkable. Just EQ choices alone could have left everyone arguing for days... ;)

Not making an amp would be madness - I spend almost as much time helping our customers with amp buying decisions as I do with cabs but we don't get to sell any of the amps! And I wouldn't want to sell someone else's amp unless I thought it was perfect and was exactly the amp I'd design for me.
[/quote]

I LOVE your passion! And if a person can spend their life doing stuff they are really passionate about (and make a living from it!) then as night the day, success will almost certainly follow. So despite my natural business prudence, I can't help admitting I'm looking forward to the launch and I know will be one of very many in that regard.

How far are you away from releasing a Mark 1 version?

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1503514143' post='3358886']
Hopefully months rather than years! But we haven't done this before and no corners will be cut so it could take a long time...
[/quote]

Good luck. Your cabs have been labours of love; I have no doubt of your ability to come up with an amp that matches the passion for the cabs.

And once you're making amps as well as cabs, there's a range of Barefaced combos to release! I have to admit that my Super Compact & Ashdown Rootmaster 800 would make a great combo, especially with a second SC as an extension cab.