Why become a member? ×

Anyone else go slap-fest when they put on new strings?

Highfox

I do. But then I always do. I love slap. Or tasty finger style with the occasional pop. Since using Elixirs though I don't get the 'new string feeling' because the strings last forever. They always sound brilliant.

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1502787662' post='3353475']
I do. But then I always do. I love slap. Or tasty finger style with the occasional pop. Since using Elixirs though I don't get the 'new string feeling' because the strings last forever. They always sound brilliant.
[/quote]

Those are on my radar to try. These Bass centre elites have been on here a year and a half and I'd guess over 100 hours of playing on this bass.
Clangy Dunlop Steels now :)

Think the slap thing comes of being in awe of mark King back in my early formative days of bass playing and the coverage he gave bass players back then.

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1502788844' post='3353488']
Those are on my radar to try. These Bass centre elites have been on here a year and a half and I'd guess over 100 hours of playing on this bass.
Clangy Dunlop Steels now :)

Think the slap thing comes of being in awe of mark King back in my early formative days of bass playing and the coverage he gave bass players back then.
[/quote]

For me it was listening to Toto's Rosanna. I remember saying to my dad "it sounds like the bass burping" in the section right after the line "meet you all the way"

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1502789155' post='3353491']
For me it was listening to Toto's Rosanna. I remember saying to my dad "it sounds like the bass burping" in the section right after the line "meet you all the way"
[/quote]

That's very tasteful.

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1502785145' post='3353437']
Generally I'll pop and slap very rarely when playing live, here and there a bit.
But stick some new strings on at home and I can't stop! sure I'm not alone with this?

Drives the Mrs bonkers the clank clank :)
[/quote]

No. Never. No way. Not me Your Honour.

You must introduce me to Mrs Bonkers one day.

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1502789258' post='3353493']
That's very tasteful.
[/quote]

Yeah, I only really came across the much more slappy stuff much later, and still my preference is for slower tempo less flashy slap. That's not to say the other sort isn't fun for practicing, though.

My wife, she hates it all.

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1502789155' post='3353491']
[/quote]

My Dad's way of responding to that would have been a LOUD botty burp.

He didn't consider anything after Beethoven to be anything other than crazy gibberish. I still loved him though. We tried jamming; my semi-pro guitarist half brother, Dad on a double manual keyboard with pedals and me on a fretless. It was carnage.

Heeheehee

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1502789866' post='3353506']
My Dad's way of responding to that would have been a LOUD botty burp.

He didn't consider anything after Beethoven to be anything other than crazy gibberish. I still loved him though. We tried jamming; my semi-pro guitarist half brother, Dad on a double manual keyboard with pedals and me on a fretless. It was carnage.

Heeheehee
[/quote]

It made you who you are today!

My dad used to keep a drum stick (Premier 5B IIRC) in the car so he could hit me and my brother with it when we were pissing about in the back. To this day my brother prefers sitting behind the passenger - contrary to popular belief it's much harder to whack someone at that angle when driving.

Also fond memories of listening to 'Real World Live' (I think) by Peter Gabriel on holiday in Norfolk. Truly made bass my favourite instrument.

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1502790237' post='3353514']
My dad used to keep a drum stick (Premier 5B IIRC) in the car so he could hit me and my brother with it when we were pissing about in the back. To this day my brother prefers sitting behind the passenger - contrary to popular belief it's much harder to whack someone at that angle when driving.
[/quote]

Since I bought a Skoda Superb, which is huuuge in the back, I can't reach my lad if he's farting around...I'd need a hockey stick... :( :D

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1502794420' post='3353551']
Since I bought a Skoda Superb, which is huuuge in the back, I can't reach my lad if he's farting around...I'd need a hockey stick... :( :D
[/quote]

Excuse for a new bass?? :)