Why become a member? ×

Lucky mistake

JPJ

So as a few of you will probably know, I have a five string KK Baby Bass and despite the issues I had due to Parcelforce, I'm now over the moon and loving playing her.

One thing with these basses is that the stock magnetic pickup works best with two 'washers' inserted into the feet of the bridge. Positioning the bridge accurately on the two 'circles' of the pickup is also vital to getting a good tone. The 'washers' are about 8mm diameter, about 4mm thick and have one flat side and one countersunk side ready to take a screw head. I recently had the strings off to replace a broken tuner barrel (self-inflicted) and the washers dropped out, so I put them back with the flat side in contact with the pickup, thinking that the larger contact area would make for a better connection.

Anyway, move forward to last week. The bass has a small metal frame over the bridge that is part of the pickup system. I've become used to using this like a handle when moving the bass in the confines of the man-cave (I know, I must stop) and yes, last week I picked the bass up with my fingers resting on the bridge which tipped the bridge over :o

So I refitted the bridge, but this time I put the washers in the other way up (i.e. with the countersunk side in contact with the pickup) and wow, what an improvement in tone!

The KK is naturally quite dark sounding with just the magnetic pickup, and I also use a piezo in the bridge to blend in a bit more high end and 'transparency'. However, with the washers inverted, I am getting a much better all round sound from just the built in magnetic pickup. So basically there is a happy ending to my misjudged handling of the bass. Silver linings and all that :D

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks JPJ, that's really interesting. I recently bought a KK baby bass from fellow BCer Drew, and I've been loving it - it's been a godsend for festival gigs.

Just to echo Alex above, it'd be fantastic if you could find the time to post more details about the washers. Here's a pic of my bridge and pick-up. Is it the same on your baby bass? Thanks a million...

[attachment=253163:IMG_2370.JPG]

Edited by Brother Malvis

Mine has a bit of an endpin rattle going on too. I haven't bothered to fix it as you don't really notice it when the bass is amplified.

You're right, the sound is a far cry from a proper upright. It's an electric bass after all, and gives you the fundamental sound of each note, without the overtones you get used to playing a timber bass.

Have you any idea whether the string type has much impact on the overall sound? For now I'm using the no-name Chinese strings supplied with the bass. Kris Kedzior recommended Spiro Weichs, so I'm hoping a used set might pop up for sale here before too long...