Why become a member? ×

Buddy Holly's Tour Bus, 1958

discreet

[b]Buddy Holly's Tour Bus, 1958[/b]

'Er Indoors and The Boy are in Seattle visiting relatives. They went out for dinner this evening and came across this - Buddy Holly's Tour Bus, 1958. And they sent me a picture.

Amazing that it still exists. Felt a bit weird seeing it really, a mixture of incredulity, a sense of musical history and an unexpectedly poignant feeling, too. Or maybe that's just the drugs. ;)

This is an ex school bus and not designed for long trips.

BB King used one for years to do over 300 gigs a year.

There was a Motown tour in the early 60's that used a bus like that. They had something like 40 dates in 40 days and they had anything up to 600 miles between gigs.

These tours were the reality of how how live music operated in the US back then.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1502874555' post='3354035']
The Beatles too had a Commer.[/quote]

Yep. Ex GPO vans were also very common.

My usual place was on the engine cover beside my mate Derrick, the driver. IIRC we had a top speed of 50 mph. Me and Derrick used to play chess driving on the motorways. When it was his turn I steered.

We thought we'd made it when he got a Ford Transit SWB with some mk10 Jag seats in the back.

When Buddy Holly & The Crickets landed back in the US of A after their world tour in May '58 with cash in their pockets they decided to buy motorcycles and ride home the 350 miles . The three of them caught a cab to the nearest motorcycle dealer's shop in the right direction .
The Harley Davidson dealer thought they were just time-wasting kids and threw them out , so they tried the next shop , which happened to sell British bikes . Here they were recognised and treated like royalty so they rode home though a thunderstorm on two Triumphs and an Ariel .
Rock 'n Roll !

Buddy's '58 650cc Ariel Cylone was up for auction 3 years ago :- [url="https://www.autoevolution.com/news/buddy-hollys-ariel-cyclone-bike-under-the-hammer-photo-gallery-86354.html"]https://www.autoevol...lery-86354.html[/url]

[quote name='DaveFry' timestamp='1502878054' post='3354081']
When Buddy Holly & The Crickets landed back in the US of A after their world tour in May '58 with cash in their pockets they decided to buy motorcycles and ride home the 350 miles . The three of them caught a cab to the nearest motorcycle dealer's shop in the right direction .
The Harley Davidson dealer thought they were just time-wasting kids and threw them out , so they tried the next shop , which happened to sell British bikes . Here they were recognised and treated like royalty so they rode home though a thunderstorm on two Triumphs and an Ariel .
Rock 'n Roll !

Buddy's '58 650cc Ariel Cylone was up for auction 3 years ago :- [url="https://www.autoevolution.com/news/buddy-hollys-ariel-cyclone-bike-under-the-hammer-photo-gallery-86354.html"]https://www.autoevol...lery-86354.html[/url]
[/quote]thanks for that, hadn't heard that before I always wondered why they were riding British Bikes in a well aired film of them riding round Lubbock on motorbikes

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1502837775' post='3353918']

'Er Indoors and The Boy are in Seattle visiting relatives. They went out for dinner this evening and came across this - Buddy Holly's Tour Bus, 1958. And they sent me a picture.

Amazing that it still exists. Felt a bit weird seeing it really, a mixture of incredulity, a sense of musical history and an unexpectedly poignant feeling, too. Or maybe that's just the drugs. ;)

[/quote]shame he didn't stay on the bus :(

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1502875022' post='3354044']
My usual place was on the engine cover beside my mate Derrick, the driver.

[/quote]

I liked to sit in the back because it was quite obvious that, in the front, the thin metal of the Commer van would crumple under any impact and your legs would be crushed.

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1502879064' post='3354098']
I liked to sit in the back because it was quite obvious that, in the front, the thin metal of the Commer van would crumple under any impact and your legs would be crushed.
[/quote]

Yep. That is the sensible thing to do and how I would think today.

We knew Martin Lamble the drummer who was killed when Fairport's tranny overturned. Both the people killed in that crash were sitting in the front seats.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1502837775' post='3353918']

[/quote]

That's marvellous!

What's the crack with it? Is it in a museum, or...?

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1502883606' post='3354135']
What's the crack with it? Is it in a museum, or...?
[/quote]

It's owned by José Enciso and is parked outside his diner/restaurant, 'Triple XXX Root Beer' near Issaquah, Washington State. Draws a fair bit of business from passing trade, as you'd expect.

PS: An early band I was in used to drive to gigs in an ex-GPO Commer van, too. It was yellow and had the engine under a big hump in the cab, where it would practically gas us all to death. Rock 'n' Roll!!

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1502883896' post='3354139']
It's owned by José Enciso and is parked outside his diner/restaurant, 'Triple XXX Root Beer' near Issaquah, Washington State. Draws a fair bit of business from passing trade, as you'd expect.
[/quote]

Ta for the info. [url="https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@47.5372032,-122.0349488,3a,66.4y,35.83h,89.08t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sj8J7lLXn3KfIEUcVgDJWCA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656"]Here it is...[/url]

I hope he's looking after it :-)

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1502884034' post='3354143']
Ta for the info. [url="https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@47.5372032,-122.0349488,3a,66.4y,35.83h,89.08t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sj8J7lLXn3KfIEUcVgDJWCA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656"]Here it is...[/url]
[/quote]

Nice work, of course I didn't think of looking for it on Google Maps. Gimme a break, what am I, a frigging teenager..?? :D

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1502885331' post='3354159']
From the recent documentary it sounds like it was pretty hellish! :o
[/quote]

I believe those buses had no heating which is why, in the middle of a northern US winter, the aircraft was so appealing.

On the long haul gigs the guys slept in the bus, sitting up on the hard seats.