Why become a member? ×

Should I cancel gig I am going to for my bands gig?

markdavid

[quote name='Steve Browning' timestamp='1502872287' post='3354003']
If you told them you were unavailable then no gig should have been booked. Go to your gig.

Not sure the band sounds like much of a proposition if you are thinking about recruiting another mouth to feed to supplement a passenger.
[/quote]

both of these points !

they booked the gig AFTER you told them you were unavailable.

current guitarist only knows 8 of your songs means that your band IS NOT READY TO GIG YET.

Unless you are the opening act

[quote name='markdavid' timestamp='1502955626' post='3354573']
Thanks guys,as suggested i have stood my ground on this, i may well be leaving this band soon and the how the next few days goes will be the decider for me
[/quote]
Good call. Being a reliable person and surrounding yourself with reliable people is definitely the way to go.
Best of luck.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1502888483' post='3354186']
It's just a different mindset. There's a lot of very precious people out there who believe they can't be replaced.

You just need to make sure your band and the dep have the ability to be flexible. Some bands can only play songs exactly as they've rehearsed and exactly as per the recording. They have no ability to cover when things get a bit loose.
[/quote]

In essence, it teaches you that you have to Listen. Many players forget this, whereas I feel listening is 50% of the gig easily.
[quote name='oldslapper' timestamp='1502899729' post='3354288']
Clear & timely communication is key on both parts, if you use a dep.

This includes (from the band);
Songs
Keys
Song Arrangements
Venue
Times
Important image considerations (yes this is important see BRX above)
I have turned up for a video shoot with the "wrong" bass as the agent forgot to communicate that they wanted a vintage instrument, not a jazz bass..and I didn't ask beforehand.
Also give more than one contact number out for the day of the event.

[/quote]

+1 to all the above. I expect to have a list of songs, with any key changes and special arrangements at least a week in advance *(unless the gig being shorter notice than that - I have had one ring me up 4 hours notice whilst i was 2hrs drive away as was playing hockey. I wasn't driving and was typing up notes and arrangements on my ipad in the car from hockey, whilst they sent me the dots for about half the songs. Got home and the sax player picked me up 15 mins later as I got out of the shower)]

I did have one trainwreck gig where I depped and they gavve me 30 odd songs, then proceded to perform an extra set, and start picking songs I hadn't ever played before, or hadn't for 5+ years. They were nice about it though, and it was a good payer for the xtra stuff.

[quote]
Most deps I know aren't after your job, and have a number of different reasons for depping. I've played gig's where the regular bassist has turned up & we've had a lovely chat afterwards.
There's a facebook page for dep musicians I believe?

[/quote]
I dep because at the moment I'm not in a good place mentally to start my own constant busy band ( I have 3 bands on the go but are all very on and off because we're all seriously busy). Between musical theatre and dep gigs I am doing about 60 gigs a year.

I have depped out gigs, but i find shared band calendars particularly painful.
I had one band insist that rather than send them dates I couldn't do, that I just invite them as an extra person on all the events I put into my own calendar. I then felt I had no privacy (as the only other option is to create 2 events each time, and that pissed me off)
That stopped when I started putting in obscene things like "dogging. Layby on A10" etc.

Edited by gapiro

[quote name='steantval' timestamp='1502981977' post='3354854']
Tell the drummer to take a hike, he should never have booked a gig on a date you had clearly previously told him you were unavailable, the guy must be a dickhead.
[/quote] I love your response, direct and to the point, you tell it like it is and that is a good quality to have

[quote name='markdavid' timestamp='1502982726' post='3354860']
I love your response, direct and to the point, you tell it like it is and that is a good quality to have
[/quote]

Been playing in various bands for the past 35 years, so my tolerance levels have been severely eroded away over time.

Edited by steantval

Had rehearsal tonight and after we had finished playing Led zeppelins immigrant song the drummer told me not too play the "fancy" slide bit as it is not what Led Zeppelin play on the song, I'm all for playing note for note renditions if you are a tribute band but we are not and as such i expect a tiny bit of artistic interpretation to be accepted and the norm, maybe I'm wrong

Edited by markdavid

[quote name='markdavid' timestamp='1503094591' post='3355750']... the drummer told me...
[/quote]

What..? :o 'The drummer asked me...', 'the drummer suggested...', 'the drummer proposed...' I could understand, but 'the drummer told me...'..? :o

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1503096501' post='3355767']

What..? :o 'The drummer asked me...', 'the drummer suggested...', 'the drummer proposed...' I could understand, but 'the drummer told me...'..? :o
[/quote]Well i think it was somewhere along the lines of"can you not play that fancy slide bit as they don't play that in the original song" i forget the exact words used

[quote name='markdavid' timestamp='1503096945' post='3355772']
Well i think it was somewhere along the lines of"can you not play that fancy slide bit as they don't play that in the original song" i forget the exact words used
[/quote]

Ah, that's more like it..! Phew..! For a moment there... :unsure:

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1503097649' post='3355777']

Ah, that's more like it..! Phew..! For a moment there... :unsure:
[/quote] yeah,still bloody annoying being told how you should play your part after all i don't tell him how he should play his drum parts, i actually played a few of the basslines busier than usual after that just to piss him off

[quote name='markdavid' timestamp='1503096945' post='3355772']
Well i think it was somewhere along the lines of"can you not play that fancy slide bit as they don't play that in the original song" i forget the exact words used
[/quote]depends how it said, I think it's a bit sad that band members can't have a conversation about how a song is played without others taking offence, but like I said it's the tone that's important

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1503126860' post='3355827']
depends how it said, I think it's a bit sad that band members can't have a conversation about how a song is played without others taking offence, but like I said it's the tone that's important
[/quote] Yeah i think my defenses were just up due to the tension about the gig situation, also due to the guitar player not learning the songs meaning i had to lead the songs, always difficult when you feel you are carrying someone else

[quote name='markdavid' timestamp='1503129404' post='3355853']
Yeah i think my defenses were just up due to the tension about the gig situation, also due to the guitar player not learning the songs meaning i had to lead the songs, always difficult when you feel you are carrying someone else
[/quote] Hey we've all been there, it's difflicult to be diplomatic sometimes, and things get taken the wrong way very easily
[quote name='AntLockyer' timestamp='1503129428' post='3355854']
If they want you to.play what's on the record they should pay you the same amount JPJ would get.

I'm so glad I'm in my band. We play our versions of other people's songs. Make most if it up as we go along. Have a lot if fun and get paid well :)
[/quote]that's fair enough, but if someone thinks that the changes you've made don't work they should be able to say so, in the nicest possible way

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1503130774' post='3355870'] but if someone thinks that the changes you've made don't work they should be able to say so, in the nicest possible way
[/quote]

They can but that situation wouldn't arise. The point is we are a collection of musicians providing their own take and their job. I really am lucky aren't i.

I'd rather have a band mate let me know if they think whatever I'm playing seems not to be appropriate, or could be improved, whether on drums, bass or whatever. Similarly, I wouldn't hesitate in discussing issues with their contribution; the method or tactfulness would depend on our relationship, and would vary between politely suggesting an alternative to chucking my drumsticks in the air and swearing volubly. Whatever works best in the circumstances; it's just a matter of communicating in an effective manner.