Why become a member? ×

NBD: Wingbass (Half-sized mini bass NOW WITH GK system!)

ped

I showed her the bass yesterday and came out unscathed, in fact she even LIKED it. What's she been up to?

Yes I'll be bringing it to the bash, I'll wear cargo trousers.

I know a Uke bass etc is much cheaper but to be honest whilst this is sold partly as a 'travel' bass, it's actually a brilliant bass in it's own right - it doesn't feel like a 'toy' if you see what I mean. I probably wouldn't buy one new from the states because of duty etc but for what I paid it was a no-brainer. Honestly the craftsmanship is top notch.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1502974407' post='3354777']
Bringing the bass isn't the problem.

It's the articulated lorry filled with pedal boards and FX units that's the problem.
[/quote]

Actually I'm only using the VB99 these days and occasionally a GR20. The two together make a really neat little package. Single effects pedals are a pain. Still wouldn't turn down the chance to have a go in a lorry, though!

[url=https://ibb.co/nbTAra][/url]

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1502971059' post='3354733']
I think new they are about $600 which for a custom built (half) bass I don't think is bad. There's a configuration page on their site where you can 'build your own'
[/quote]

I agree....might have to put that one on the bucket list

I'm down at my wife's family holiday home in Wales. We go every year, it's sort of 'off the grid' although in recent years there's been improvements to 3G etc hence I can still post in BC!

Anyway long story short I was relaxing in the hammock with the wingbass, headphone amp and a beer just now. Sybil was wandering around meeting other local dogs and well it was just bliss.

Weather looks ok tomorrow so shall I take it to the beach?!

ped

P.S off to see Alpher at some point maybe next week about the GK install.

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1503391999' post='3357754']
I seem to recall reading somewhere that piccolo bass tunings work best for synth bass applications? Which would tend to suggest that this thing could be the perfect synth driver. :)
[/quote]

Yep that's the plan. The GK system will work well because it's the same a small playing with a 12th fret capo. The GK doesn't do any 'tracking' as such as it works a small an actual pickup into the VB99 so no latency either. The main bonus will be the polyphonic octaver which I can use alongside any other effect.

The only difficulty will be deciding where to put the various controls and output. So far I'm thinking the up/down patch buttons can go on the heading edge of the bass at the bottom and the output at the front. You can't have the outputs on the 'back edge' where they'd normally go because that section rests on your leg.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1503392426' post='3357764']
Wingbass + sand + salt spray = Happiness?

I don't think so.
[/quote]

Looking outside today it looks like rain + wingbass + sand + electrocution

Maybe just a noodle in front of the TV then :)

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1503423991' post='3358132']
What an odd thing.

I can't decide if it is genius or just pointless.
[/quote]

I'm finding myself picking it up all the time. It sounds brilliant and it's so 'handy'

It's a bit like having a moped when you also have a car

• 2 weeks later...

It's taken me a while to work out what strings are on this bass... I assumed they were normal 5 string sizes (as they are from the factory) but I realised my B string was thinner than on my full sized 5er.

After some experimentation I found they are in fact 'standard' gauge EADG and a high C. This means whilst the scale length is reduced the string gauge can be dropped with the same tuning which is why they feel so nice to play.

I've now put my fave Elixirs on it (though on my 'full size' basses I use the 'super light') and it's sounding brilliant. I experimented with dropping the bottom B to an A and it feels really good like that, too.

In other news I also bought a [url="http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Mini-Foldable-Electric-Guitar-Stand/I7I"]mini guitar stand[/url] from gear4music I replaced the plastic 'T' shape body support with a foam ball, as it didn't fit well between the neck and cutaway, but now it works a treat.

Then I got my [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/290872-nsd-lakota-leathers-3-strap/page__view__findpost__p__3122109"]Lakota Leather[/url] strap and decided it was a bit too wide for such a small bass. With heart in mouth, a long steel ruler and a stanley knife I cut it down to 1.5 inches wide. Now it really looks great on the bass and helps hold it in position. The width of the strap really doesn't affect the comfort as the bass weighs so little anyway.

Chris at Alpher is still going to install the GK system for me but I have to wait until he's finished moving his workshop. I expect it'll be done by the end of the year, anyway. There's no rush.

I'm really enjoying this a bass, honestly I haven't played my full sized ones since getting it. It's just so 'handy' to grab and play, and it sounds brilliant. It's got a stingray-esque low end with a more natural singing top end, and with the 'Ken Smith' style upper midrange clank when digging in. When I'm playing it I completely forget it's a 'mini' bass.

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1504611227' post='3366024']
Sounds like one of those 'special' acquisitions, ped. Great stuff. I'm really looking forward to the progress with the GK system...
[/quote]

Cheers Andy yeah you could say that. It's fun because it feels like a different instrument altogether, yet when I switch back to full sized basses, as I just did now it feels absolutely normal, as the string spacing and the 'feel' is the same.

News on the GK front - it might be happening next week, there's a chap local to me I may go and see.

OK it's going in on Tuesday for the GK install, it'll take a couple of days.

I've been deciding on the layout I'll go with. I have to take into account the amount of space as though the bass may require routing to sink the pickup into the body a bit it would be easier to do without routing the control cavity if possible.

Here are some designs. I normally don't bother installing the GK/Mix/magnetic switch because it's not useful on all GK interfaces; on the VB99 I can choose that on the unit, so no need. I also don't normally use the LED which glows red when the GK is active.

These designs should all work - the GK 13 pin output is attached to some circuit board and clearance may be an issue so if it can't be mounted neatly like in pic 4 I'll have the plate put on so it sits a bit higher (pic 1,2,3). We could use a wooden plate instead of the black plastic one maybe.

In pic 1 and 2 I have done away with the bass master volume (could just leave it in the cavity) as I don't really use it and the GK knob can be assigned to cut the signal right at the end of it's travel anyway if needed. If there's room though I'll keep it (pic 3/4)

The 'up/down' buttons are also optional but I like having them. Not sure on placement; to some extent it'll depend on where the main circuit board fits in the back but I quite like the look of both designs - they're all within easy reach when playing... probably nearer the bridge is easier, actually.

I'll update as I work my way along!

Cheers
ped

P.s I hope you like my crap photoshop skillz

[url="https://ibb.co/iobvjF"][/url] [url="https://ibb.co/gatxya"][/url] [url="https://ibb.co/iL5Sya"][/url] [url="https://ibb.co/kSPLJa"][/url]

Cheers chaps. One limitation is that I can't mount the outputs on the side as that section rests on your leg when playing. I did toy with the idea of the inputs coming out of the front edge which would probably work really well so perhaps we'll look at that possibility on Tuesday.

Yeah the Sandberg looks lovely. I already have the GK system in my main bass after years of having it clamped to the bass externally. That bass is a steal with the system installed. Unfortunately most people have just never tried it, and those that have often are trying it with MIDI which isn't the point in it - the GK system is not midi. Everyone says it is, but it's not.

Andy, the owner at Wingbass, has been really helpful and is very interested in the project.

Dropped it off today with John Anthony near Scarborough
http://www.johnanthonyguitars.com/home.html

Had a lovely time talking shop with John - and he's going to get cracking on this tomorrow. He might take some pictures along the way which I'll post up.

Cheers
ped

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1505400737' post='3371645']
There's a guy on Facebook plays a 7 string version.
[/quote]

Ah yeah I've seen that. I think he's an official wingbass endorser. It's an über custom model with all the bell & whistles available, exotic woods etc. If we're thinking of the same guy that is...?