Why become a member? ×

G&L ASAT second hand prices

jimmango

It's a funny one as most American G&Ls on here seem to be around the £800 mark. ASATs are a bit more niche and the few I've seen on here tend to be around a while. The tele body and rumours of neck dive (a complete non-issue with mine) are a put off for some, and the value slightly lower as a result. The brand doesn't shift the same as fender and musicman. I think it's the classic G&L conundrum of being slightly too late to the party to have been used consistently on truly iconic records, despite being in my view, and Leo's, the best instruments he made!

• 1 month later...

I tried an ASAT and couldn't get on with the way it hangs. The strap button is too close to the body. The Tom Hamilton signature model is fabulous and has its own exclusive pickups that can't be bought aftermarket so it's more than an L2000 with a different shape body. If you check TH playing live you'll see he has an extender for the strap button that is attached to the back of the bass; this brings the strap button to a position similar to that of his F, Sadowsky and Dusenberg bass guitars.
ASATs hang like T-birds. Very marmite. I can understand why the used values are where they are.

A realistic price would be between £650 and £1000 depending on condition, case, C.O.A, case and whether original or modded spec.

I'll admit the one I saw go for £650 didn't come with anything condition was questionable for what could be seen from the pictures (hint- always take HD pics)

Nice basses anyhow and not to be underestimated for tone and feel.