Why become a member? ×

Dood's Dingwall Abuse! - Pictures inside

Dood

[quote name='bassmayhem' timestamp='1502991945' post='3354944']
I am glad you didn't sell this bass, Dan...
It looks gorgeous, sexy, wild and wonderful. May I ask what a job like this costs? I've been thinking about doing the same thing with one of my basses.
And - publish a pic with your whole "Chameleon Family"... B)
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmcA9LIIXWw[/media]
[/quote]

Thank you, I'm glad too!

The paint itself isn't the most expensive bit in the grand scheme of things, though it isn't cheap. I think the cost is in the preparation and labour and skill to get it looking amazing. Mark at MIR is a highly skilled luthier and local to me.

Oh yes! I'll get some pictures up soon!

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1503093842' post='3355744']
That looks fantastic. Have you sent any pictures to Sheldon to get his take on it?
[/quote]

I have! Sheldon and I are friends and I respect him greatly. I did hesitate for a moment in case he might not like it, but that's just me I suppose. As it happens he loves it!

That's a fantastic paint job! It fits the Dingwall style. Anyway, I don't think I'd have the balls to bring something that colourful to a gig. I'm a rather understatement type of bass player. That's why my AB II 3X has the "Ducati White Pearl" finish, which is bright enough for me... ;)

Sheldon himself seems to like "bold" finished, too, think about the Swirl on the newer NG2's.

I had no doubt Sheldon would like it: he is very ok and happy for his Ding owners to experiment. Go to TalkBass and see the array of pickup up mods that users on there get up to - he's shared technical specs and info to help them work out what exactly they are replacing and what change X or Y would mean.

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1502918038' post='3354428']

It's funny that so many people have asked me over the years if I use 'TVR paint'. I guess that's where most people are familiar with seeing these 'flip-paints'. Maybe TVR would like to bring one or two round for a test drive so we can compare!
[/quote]

Yes, I first thought of a TVR, then an MG ZT and then a Nissan Micra, all seen in flip paint at one time! It's a beauty!

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1503093910' post='3355745']
The penny has just dropped. Is this the one you had up for sale?
[/quote]

It is! I managed to hold on to it by the skin of my..well, bank account.

[quote name='Daz39' timestamp='1503490893' post='3358646']
I had no doubt Sheldon would like it: he is very ok and happy for his Ding owners to experiment. Go to TalkBass and see the array of pickup up mods that users on there get up to - he's shared technical specs and info to help them work out what exactly they are replacing and what change X or Y would mean.
[/quote]

Indeed, Sheldon and I chat a lot. I've tested prototype kit myself and am hatching a plan as we speak.

Thank you everyone for the kind comments! I too LOVE it and am looking forward to gigging it (well, it was gigging lots before the paint job, so I should say.. continue gigging it!)

• 2 weeks later...