Why become a member? ×

Ibanez input needed

lownote

Hi, wondered if I could pick the brains of those with experience of upper end Ibanez basses. I have tried and loved everything about the SRSC805. But at near to a grand new I can't justify the expense and they're rare as hen's bollocks 2nd hand. Can anyone say which of the models a little further down the price scale offer a similar playing experience (obviously without the single cut aspect). Ta.

I have experiences with high-end Prestige SR basses (SR3006, 5006, 1005).
They have superb playability even for six stringers and sound great.
The 5005/6 models are the current ones and go around a grand even used, but if you look around for the earlier 3005/6s (the ones with natural mahogany body) they go lower than a grand. These are Japaneese.
There was a time when Prestige series moved to Korea, I owned a SR1005, they go around 500GBP and fantastic instruments for the price with a great neck and Bartolini pickups + through necks.

I'm hearing good things about the Premium line too.

Playability was never an issue with the SR models, the body, neck dimensions and ergonomics are pretty much the same throughout the range so they all play great.

The [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]SRSC805 is a nice looking bass. I was almost tempted to get one (there was one on here) but I had other things to get at the time. [/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]The SRSC is a custom shop one which is their attempts at doing 'different' things, such as the single cut on that, or like mine the SRFF805, which is a fan fret.[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Really you can't go much wrong with the higher numbers of the ibanez SRs, the higher the better. You can pick up some of the premiers for quite low money second hand, which are more than a match for them and have the better pickups, or as said, some of the earlier prestiges (see my thread the other day: [/font][/color]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/309139-nbd-my-sr-range-continues which has quite a bit of input on the subject.
The only other thing you would note is that that is quite wide string spacing for an SR, so it might be a bit different.

I used to own one of the older SR1500 with the slightly left-field EQ. Great bass for very little money, on my short(ish) list of "why on earth did I sell that" basses.

Just saw the very same instrument up for sale again on evilbay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ibanez-SR1500-Bass-Guitar-/322612418641?hash=item4b1d32d851:g:lxcAAOSwMvtZRM5Q

[quote name='Paulhauser' timestamp='1502952170' post='3354541']
I have experiences with high-end Prestige SR basses (SR3006, 5006, 1005).
They have superb playability even for six stringers and sound great.
The 5005/6 models are the current ones and go around a grand even used, but if you look around for the earlier 3005/6s (the ones with natural mahogany body) they go lower than a grand. These are Japaneese.
There was a time when Prestige series moved to Korea, I owned a SR1005, they go around 500GBP and fantastic instruments for the price with a great neck and Bartolini pickups + through necks.

I'm hearing good things about the Premium line too.

Playability was never an issue with the SR models, the body, neck dimensions and ergonomics are pretty much the same throughout the range so they all play great.
[/quote]

I agree with all that Paul says. The SR basses with numbers above SR500 are very playable and great value for money. The premiums are now up to, or close to the standard of the prestige basses IMHO. The new BTB's are very versitile. Of course you are better to try before you buy