Why become a member? ×

Sold: Burman 501 Pro Guitar Amplifier
£800

For sale Boutique English amp - Matamp, Hiwatt class

3 Gain controls, plus the usual bass, mid, treble, and HF cut switch and an Accutronics reverb unit. Construction is all valve EL34 (Harma Retro), ECC83 and ECC81 - driving an original 12" ElectroVoice EVM 12L speaker and all hand wired and in great working and gigging condition.
It was regarded back in the 70’s/80’s as the Brit Mesa Boogie and is a real piece of British Amp History alongside the Vox AC30 and the early Marshalls and alike.

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXvZoGaz7V0"]https://www.youtube....h?v=jXvZoGaz7V0[/url]

More photos available on request.

Edited by PawelG

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1503068679' post='3355504']
I have one - great cleans. I also have a couple of their bass heads as well. GLWTS.
[/quote]
One of the best made amps I've seen.

[quote name='prowla' timestamp='1503134469' post='3355913'] I used to have a Burman bass amp; I bought it new from Carlsbro Sound in the 70s. It was a bloddy heavy lump of a thing and it had a loud hum. It sounded good through my pair of Marshall 4x12s, though. [/quote]

Loud hum doesn't sound like something that should be preset in an amp of this class - maybe it wasn't biased correctly?

As I remember at the time, these were the best amps you could buy anywhere, and this one looks to be in great nick.
Would be sorely tempted if I didn't already have a Mesa Boogie mk.III, and I bet it's easier to change your sound on the Burman (takes a lot of knob-twiddling on the MB......)

Bump for a piece of lovely vintage British pure class :)

[quote name='Shaggy' timestamp='1503420381' post='3358096']
As I remember at the time, these were the best amps you could buy anywhere, and this one looks to be in great nick.
Would be sorely tempted if I didn't already have a Mesa Boogie mk.III, and I bet it's easier to change your sound on the Burman (takes a lot of knob-twiddling on the MB......)

Bump for a piece of lovely vintage British pure class :)
[/quote]
Thank you for your kind words.
This one definitely had an easy life. I think it was in the studio but rarely used.

• 1 month later...