Rechargeable power supply station....?

57 replies to this topic

#31 EBS_freak

Those bubbles aren't coming from the snorkel...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,401 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 01:11 PM

View PostCameronJ, on 22 August 2017 - 10:52 AM, said:

I looked into this at length and initially thought the same re: Diago Isolator, but the limiting factor is the amount of current each Isolator can supply. The Diago can only supply up to 110mA of current whereas the Timelord can supply up to 400mA I believe. The Smooth Hound needs around 300mA so the choice here is clear.
Indeed - right you are! Thats quite a short fall in current between the two units.

#32 Happy Jack

I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated (yeah)

• Members
  • 10,096 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 01:54 PM

View Postchrisanthony1211, on 20 August 2017 - 05:47 PM, said:

Smooth hound doesn't seem to like using a battery pack with another pedal, generates a load of noise....

A-ha! There was me thinking that my Smoothhound just didn't like the battery pack ... it never occurred to me to try it with a battery pack on its own.

Might have a play with that later.
Feedback +++ YouTube Channel +++ My Basses +++ Current active bands: Junkyard Dogs + King Ralph +++ Gone, but not forgotten: Dani Molino + Karena K + Mick's Lawmen + The Sapphire Grooves + Westbound Piccadilly + Long String Hawkers + Red Herring

It's never too late to have a Happy childhood.

#33 chrisanthony1211

Just the Funk....

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts
  • Interests:Bass, chess, funk!

Posted 22 August 2017 - 04:59 PM

Well I've bought a Sandstrom Gold series 9000mAh battery and the 5v to 9v converter and all is good, only used it to power my smooth hound for half an hour this afternoon but worked great with its own battery, what a great idea to use these batteries!

Dare I ask what the calculation is for how long the battery will power a device with a 250MA draw?

Edited by chrisanthony1211, 22 August 2017 - 05:04 PM.

Fender Precision 1964 (Fiesta red)
Fender Precision 1973 (Sunburst)
Fender Jazz Geddy Lee USA (2015)
Mesa Boogie Walkabout 15
Mark bass CMD121p
Mark bass NY121
Tech 21 Fly bass rig
Line 6 G50

Feedback
http://basschat.co.u...risanthony1211/

#34 CameronJ

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 06:32 PM

View PostNo. 8 Wire, on 22 August 2017 - 12:09 PM, said:

If you're going the rechargeable battery/converter route then I would have thought a dedicated battery is the cheapest way to go - if the smooth hound will run off it. I have a line 6 M5 (500mA draw) that my battery system will not run, even though it should be within spec - all my pedals turned on at once are fine and that should be a 400-500 mA draw. That said, the M5 does seem so be particular about power supplies and also might have a start up spike that triggers the protection on the battery - its done the same with lower rated supplies before.

Be good to know if something like a smooth hound with a high draw will run of one of these converter systems, even with a dedicated pack.

I suspect this is in part down to the fact you're using a USB battery pack with a 5v to 9v converter rather than a dedicated 9v pack. As you say the Line 6 M5 is quite fussy with power - I used to own one and it was always noisy when sharing power. That was before I really knew about the benefits of isolating pedals.

View PostHappy Jack, on 22 August 2017 - 01:54 PM, said:

A-ha! There was me thinking that my Smoothhound just didn't like the battery pack ... it never occurred to me to try it with a battery pack on its own.

Might have a play with that later.

You'll have no trouble with the Smooth Hound sharing a pack as long as you isolate it from the other pedals sharing the battery. My Smooth Hound is on the same pack as 5 other pedals and a Micro Thumpinator but works flawlessly running through a GigRig Timelord as isolation.
Yamaha BB1025x
Ibanez BTB33
Yamaha RBX774
Tanglewood TAB 1 CE (Acoustic Bass)
TC Electronic BH800
Tecamp Puma 900
TKS 1126
Phil Jones BigHead
Probably too many effects...

Roland FA-06
TC Helicon Voicelive Touch 2

#35 No. 8 Wire

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 10:45 PM

View PostCameronJ, on 22 August 2017 - 06:32 PM, said:

I suspect this is in part down to the fact you're using a USB battery pack with a 5v to 9v converter rather than a dedicated 9v pack. As you say the Line 6 M5 is quite fussy with power - I used to own one and it was always noisy when sharing power. That was before I really knew about the benefits of isolating pedals.

Its not an issue for me really as I don't in general use the M5, mostly because I find it noisy! just thought I'd give it a go on the battery in case it solved that problem. I think the noise may be to do with my house supply (especially in my practice room) though rather than the M5s fault. It does seem to affect pedals and amps (even basses) that are quiet elsewhere.

Great that the Smooth Hound at 400 mA will run off its own supply.
For Sale:
Marketplace Feedback: http://basschat.co.u...-for-no-8-wire/

#36 rmorris

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 08:36 AM

View PostEBS_freak, on 18 August 2017 - 07:23 AM, said:

Made my own.

http://www.ebay.co.u...3.c100506.m3226

and 8 eneloop pros.

Just reverse the polarity on the attached cable.

Looks a useful box but I'm not clear - Are you removing the batteries to charge them ?
Westones and Offset Bodies
Current fave the trusty old 'Thunder 1A' now fitted with EMG P and Sansamp BDDI combo into a dodgy old TE head and Marshall 'Jubilee' 4x10

#37 chrisanthony1211

Just the Funk....

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 10:31 AM

You can pick up the rechargeable mobile phone power banks pretty cheap, and the conversion cable for a little over 5, as long as it provides a stable power supply and doesn't blow up it a no brainier!
I have a two hour practice tonight to give it a good run out.
Mesa Boogie Walkabout 15
Mark bass CMD121p
Mark bass NY121
Tech 21 Fly bass rig
Line 6 G50

Feedback

#38 EBS_freak

• Members
  • 8,401 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 03:08 PM

View Postrmorris, on 23 August 2017 - 08:36 AM, said:

Looks a useful box but I'm not clear - Are you removing the batteries to charge them ?
Yes.

#39 EBS_freak

• Members
  • 8,401 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 03:09 PM

View Postchrisanthony1211, on 23 August 2017 - 10:31 AM, said:

You can pick up the rechargeable mobile phone power banks pretty cheap, and the conversion cable for a little over £5, as long as it provides a stable power supply and doesn't blow up it a no brainier!
I have a two hour practice tonight to give it a good run out.
I was just looking at one of those small power sticks an hour ago in WHS with this in mind....

#40 chrisanthony1211

Just the Funk....

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 04:14 PM

Think I may have over done it, I think I got a battery which will run my smooth hound for about 40 hours.......
Mesa Boogie Walkabout 15
Mark bass CMD121p
Mark bass NY121
Tech 21 Fly bass rig
Line 6 G50

Feedback

#41 EBS_freak

• Members
  • 8,401 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 04:24 PM

View Postchrisanthony1211, on 23 August 2017 - 04:14 PM, said:

Think I may have over done it, I think I got a battery which will run my smooth hound for about 40 hours.......
Ha ha. Will it run a small community?

Post it up then... what you gone for?

#42 chrisanthony1211

Just the Funk....

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 04:57 PM

It's a sandstrom 9000mah, I also found myself a rather handy plastic case and some foam to make a nice home for them both!
Mesa Boogie Walkabout 15
Mark bass CMD121p
Mark bass NY121
Tech 21 Fly bass rig
Line 6 G50

Feedback

#43 CameronJ

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 05:43 PM

Oh very nice.

I reckon this'll be my next purchase: https://www.thomann....t_powerbank.htm

10,000 mAh, two 9v outputs, a USB output and a built in LED torch! Reckon I'll get myself 2 of them as an upgrade to my existing batteries (which will then serve to power my pedaltrain Nano+ instead)
Yamaha BB1025x
Ibanez BTB33
Yamaha RBX774
TC Electronic BH800
Tecamp Puma 900
TKS 1126
Phil Jones BigHead

Roland FA-06

#44 No. 8 Wire

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 05:54 PM

View PostCameronJ, on 23 August 2017 - 05:43 PM, said:

Oh very nice.

I reckon this'll be my next purchase: https://www.thomann....t_powerbank.htm

10,000 mAh, two 9v outputs, a USB output and a built in LED torch! Reckon I'll get myself 2 of them as an upgrade to my existing batteries (which will then serve to power my pedaltrain Nano+ instead)

That's a good price for that if you are buying something else to get free postage. I might have gone for that over my homebrew.
For Sale:

#45 CameronJ

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 06:53 PM

I know what you mean, the 8 postage isn't the cheapest but to be fair I don't begrudge it as Thomann's customer service tends to be spot on. To get the postage for free you've got to spend 199 which I don't think I'll be spending this time around.

Edit: the postage is actually 10...but I'm still willing to pay it. Especially when my order includes items I can't get from any shops in the UK.

Edited by CameronJ, 23 August 2017 - 06:55 PM.

Yamaha BB1025x
Ibanez BTB33
Yamaha RBX774
TC Electronic BH800
Tecamp Puma 900
TKS 1126
Phil Jones BigHead

Roland FA-06

#46 sifi2112

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 09:43 PM

I just received a Harley Benton power plant today .. looks decent, led light is certainly useful as a torch, briefly tested it powering a pedal but no time to play, will use it tomorrow powering all my 7-8 analog pedals :)

I also didn't mind paying the 10 euro postage .. I've used Thomann many times & they been great, honouring returns & warranty etc
Vigier Excess
J&D modded jazz
Darkglass M900 / B7K
Bagend D12-D / S12

my feedback link ...
http://basschat.co.u..._1#entry2307038

#47 No. 8 Wire

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 09:59 PM

View PostCameronJ, on 23 August 2017 - 06:53 PM, said:

I know what you mean, the 8 postage isn't the cheapest but to be fair I don't begrudge it as Thomann's customer service tends to be spot on. To get the postage for free you've got to spend 199 which I don't think I'll be spending this time around.

Edit: the postage is actually 10...but I'm still willing to pay it. Especially when my order includes items I can't get from any shops in the UK.

I don't begrudge the postage but I usually wait until I've got a few things I need to spread the postage a bit. Bought a lot of gear from them. A bass, 2 cabs, keyboard, countless strings and small items, been happy so far.
For Sale:

#48 CameronJ

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 01:49 PM

View Postsifi2112, on 23 August 2017 - 09:43 PM, said:

I just received a Harley Benton power plant today .. looks decent, led light is certainly useful as a torch, briefly tested it powering a pedal but no time to play, will use it tomorrow powering all my 7-8 analog pedals :)

I also didn't mind paying the 10 euro postage .. I've used Thomann many times & they been great, honouring returns & warranty etc

What's the verdict?
Yamaha BB1025x
Ibanez BTB33
Yamaha RBX774
TC Electronic BH800
Tecamp Puma 900
TKS 1126
Phil Jones BigHead

Roland FA-06

#49 sifi2112

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 04:19 PM

Well I won't say the jury's still out as it'll probably take weeks before it needs recharging as I'm just using analog pedals but so far I really like it .. taking it to tonight's practice just to power tuner & B7K.

Been using a onespot till now but as alll but two pedals already have 9v batteries I'll be using this powerbank as main power source & should it die/fail I'll unplug daisy chain & use internal batteries, for B7K & Little Lehle II I've external 9v clips to power them (Lehle just for led), pretty much covered & so much easier now just using analog :)
Vigier Excess
J&D modded jazz
Darkglass M900 / B7K
Bagend D12-D / S12

my feedback link ...
http://basschat.co.u..._1#entry2307038

#50 No. 8 Wire

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 09:02 AM

0949 Conducting an experiment.

I'm going to measure how long it takes to discharge the 20000 mA battery to get an idea of how much 'real world' capacity is available.

Plugged in a single pedal to see how long the battery lasts. Its a Mooer Tender Octaver with a (hopefully) 128 mA draw, can't measure the current to check unfortunately. The step up converters have an efficiency or around 90%, so the pedal should be using 1.28W of power, which on the 5V side equates to 256 mA current, or a max of 86 hrs battery use. So we'll see how close it gets!

I've fully charged this battery, but immediately on plugging in the pedal, its already dropped to 3/4 full. Also I'm fairly sure the battery self discharges (maybe the charge control circuit always draws). So I'm fairly sure the life will be well below the ideal!

After this I'll try out a representative number of pedals from the board - say 3 on and see how that goes.

Edited to correct some figures!

Edited by No. 8 Wire, 28 August 2017 - 11:07 AM.

For Sale:

#51 chrisanthony1211

Just the Funk....

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 09:19 AM

The wife has nicked the sandstrom phone charger I got last week! so I just got a griffin survivor power bank off eBay for 20. I also have a moorer 9v mp battery which cost 60, the Griffin looks great and has a rubber case, says it can be dropped from six foot. I still have the 9volt to 5 volt converter so going to give them both a good run out to see which is best. ive used the Moorer a couple of times so far and after a couple of hours just powering a Techamp fly rig the light has gone from green to amber, but worked great.
Mesa Boogie Walkabout 15
Mark bass CMD121p
Mark bass NY121
Tech 21 Fly bass rig
Line 6 G50

Feedback

#52 No. 8 Wire

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 08:20 PM

View PostNo. 8 Wire, on 28 August 2017 - 09:02 AM, said:

0949 Conducting an experiment.

I'm going to measure how long it takes to discharge the 20000 mA battery to get an idea of how much 'real world' capacity is available.

Plugged in a single pedal to see how long the battery lasts. Its a Mooer Tender Octaver with a (hopefully) 128 mA draw, can't measure the current to check unfortunately. The step up converters have an efficiency or around 90%, so the pedal should be using 1.28W of power, which on the 5V side equates to 256 mA current, or a max of 86 hrs battery use. So we'll see how close it gets!

I've fully charged this battery, but immediately on plugging in the pedal, its already dropped to 3/4 full. Also I'm fairly sure the battery self discharges (maybe the charge control circuit always draws). So I'm fairly sure the life will be well below the ideal!

After this I'll try out a representative number of pedals from the board - say 3 on and see how that goes.

Edited to correct some figures!

2116 - and its off.

So that's basically 36 hours - less than half the capacity of what it should be! Anyway from my previous experience of these batteries as phone backups I knew they wouldn't be up to spec, hence over speccing the size.

So I'll conduct a test with the full pedal board in a week or so and see what 'up' time we can expect.
For Sale:

#53 bazztard

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Interests:Learning YYZ note for note :)

Posted 30 August 2017 - 04:12 PM

Interested to hear how these home made packs go

I bought the Joyo battery,exactly the same as the Mooer one.

Had it for 2-3 years now, never missed a beat
"I follow a long line of famous bass men, like the guy in the Who or the guy in Led Zeppelin who isn't Plant Page or Bonham"

#54 EBS_freak

• Members
  • 8,401 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 10:21 AM

I'm going to charge up my pack and run a Polytune off it and see how it does, I've never run it til it poops out.

Edited by EBS_freak, 31 August 2017 - 10:21 AM.

#55 chrisanthony1211

Just the Funk....

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 08:15 PM

I've run my smooth hound off a griffin survivor phone charger now for several hours and it's still showing as 4 out of 4 bars charge.....
Mesa Boogie Walkabout 15
Mark bass CMD121p
Mark bass NY121
Tech 21 Fly bass rig
Line 6 G50

Feedback

#56 Kirky

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 09:50 AM

View PostEBS_freak, on 31 August 2017 - 10:21 AM, said:

I'm going to charge up my pack and run a Polytune off it and see how it does, I've never run it til it poops out.
And...?
Fender Musicmaster or Fender Precision Active Deluxe Special > GK Fusion 550 [Tuner out > Korg PitchPro] > TKS S212 - via OBBM cables

www.facebook.com/motorcityblue
http://motorcityblue...m/motorcityblue

#57 chrisanthony1211

Just the Funk....

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 12:28 PM

Well I can report that the griffin survivor battery last a hell of a long time more than the Moorer MP battery, and at less than half the price...... Moorer low battery light on after a three hour practise and griffin still regustring as fully charged, powering a tech 21 fly bass rig and a Kong pitch black. It does require a 5 to 9 volt converter and a centre negative adapter, but all appears to work great 👍🏻
Mesa Boogie Walkabout 15
Mark bass CMD121p
Mark bass NY121
Tech 21 Fly bass rig
Line 6 G50

Feedback

#58 Nodd

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 12:22 PM

I bought the Harley Benton Powerbank,
I've run my TU-2, Platinum EQ, Soul Food and A/B with an I-pod supplying signal,
all LEDS on for over 5 hours, only just going down one bar. I've also run it through a 3 hour jam, plus 2 hour gig and still only down one bar.
Nodd
Basses - All Lefty
'75 Fender Precision, '06 Musicman Bongo HS, '09 Squier Precision Spec
'81 Eko AB4FL with K&K True bass transducer
Framus EUB, Dean Pace EUB
Amplification - Aria Loco 6162 Combo Mesa Boogie Walkabout Scout15 Scout12 EA Wizzy12
FX - Emma Discumbobulator EHX Micro Bass Synth Behringer Reverb Sans Amp BDDI Digitech MultiChorus
Fishman Platinum Bass EQ EHX Soul Food Wooly Mammoth Clone HB PowerPlant Powerbank

http://www.thebluesissue.co.uk/

http://www.ashortstay.co.uk/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users