Why become a member? ×

Rechargeable power supply station....?

The wife has nicked the sandstrom phone charger I got last week! so I just got a griffin survivor power bank off eBay for £20. I also have a moorer 9v mp battery which cost £60, the Griffin looks great and has a rubber case, says it can be dropped from six foot. I still have the 9volt to 5 volt converter so going to give them both a good run out to see which is best. ive used the Moorer a couple of times so far and after a couple of hours just powering a Techamp fly rig the light has gone from green to amber, but worked great.

[quote name='No. 8 Wire' timestamp='1503910950' post='3361422']
0949 Conducting an experiment.

I'm going to measure how long it takes to discharge the 20000 mA battery to get an idea of how much 'real world' capacity is available.

Plugged in a single pedal to see how long the battery lasts. Its a Mooer Tender Octaver with a (hopefully) 128 mA draw, can't measure the current to check unfortunately. The step up converters have an efficiency or around 90%, so the pedal should be using 1.28W of power, which on the 5V side equates to 256 mA current, or a max of 86 hrs battery use. So we'll see how close it gets!

I've fully charged this battery, but immediately on plugging in the pedal, its already dropped to 3/4 full. Also I'm fairly sure the battery self discharges (maybe the charge control circuit always draws). So I'm fairly sure the life will be well below the ideal!

After this I'll try out a representative number of pedals from the board - say 3 on and see how that goes.

Edited to correct some figures!
[/quote]

2116 - and its off.

So that's basically 36 hours - less than half the capacity of what it should be! Anyway from my previous experience of these batteries as phone backups I knew they wouldn't be up to spec, hence over speccing the size.

So I'll conduct a test with the full pedal board in a week or so and see what 'up' time we can expect.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well I can report that the griffin survivor battery last a hell of a long time more than the Moorer MP battery, and at less than half the price...... Moorer low battery light on after a three hour practise and griffin still regustring as fully charged, powering a tech 21 fly bass rig and a Kong pitch black. It does require a 5 to 9 volt converter and a centre negative adapter, but all appears to work great 👍🏻

I bought the Harley Benton Powerbank,
I've run my TU-2, Platinum EQ, Soul Food and A/B with an I-pod supplying signal,
all LEDS on for over 5 hours, only just going down one bar. I've also run it through a 3 hour jam, plus 2 hour gig and still only down one bar.