Why become a member? ×

When did the first P/J's appear?

Marc S

In the last year or so, I've become a convert to the PJ pickup arrangement
I know several others have too - and quite a few who dislike their pickups this way - but each to their own

I've just been wondering recently, when did the first PJ pickup arrangement appear on a bass?
And more specifically, when did Fender produce their first PJ Precision bass?

I recall hearing or reading that Norman Watt-Roy spent his rent (and more) on his famous "Rhythm Stick" PJ Precision in the early 70's (was it '74?)
Did this bass start out as a PJ, or was the bridge pickup added? That's several questions, I know! lol

Oooooh - who first recorded with a PJ? Was it a Fender, or another bass?

Karlfer.... help ;)

Edited by Marc S

I don't recall seeing any PJ's looking at old footage, such as OGWT....
Steve Browning - I much prefer a Fretless J to a Fretless P. The J pickups just seem to create a better, more rounded mellow fretless tone IMO
I wonder if the first PJ's were fretless? Oh, that's another question ;)

Edited by Marc S

Lots of folks who played the 70's Telebass added J-PUPs out of necessity. It was around the time that active onboard electronics and better bass amplification were emerging, and bass players were becoming more creative, but neither of these could do much about the mudbucker on the Telebass :) Whilst I remember some awful DIY mods at the time, quite a few luthiers routinely did the J-PUP mod on various basses, some fresh from the factory, so many of the early example appear to be factory but in fact aren't. Earliest P/Js I remember were Ibanez and Yamaha. Fender only caught up a while later.

Thanks for your thoughts there Beedster :)
Yes, I recall seeing a few early Ibanez PJ's.
Just wondering whether Norman Watt-Roy's PJ was like that when he bought it in the early 70's,
Or whether he added the J pickup, as he liked the tones on his other bass - that distinctive Gold Jazz

I always thought he'd used the Jazz on the Blockheads records, but he says that he mostly used the PJ

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1503050450' post='3355306']
Thanks for your thoughts there Beedster :)
Yes, I recall seeing a few early Ibanez PJ's.
Just wondering whether Norman Watt-Roy's PJ was like that when he bought it in the early 70's,
Or whether he added the J pickup, as he liked the tones on his other bass - that distinctive Gold Jazz

I always thought he'd used the Jazz on the Blockheads records, but he says that he mostly used the PJ
[/quote]

I'd imagine NWR's P/J was simply a modded Presision unless it's a very rare Fender indeed

Thanks for that link ezbass - I think that's where I'd read some of the info on NWR's bass
The line[b][i] "[color=#1D2837][font=poppins, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Duly christened “Paddy” and tricked out with a Jazz pickup in the bridge position......[/font][/color][/i][/b]
[color=#1D2837][font=poppins, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Suggests to me that Norman, or his chosen luthier would have done the PJ modifications to the bass then?[/font][/color]

I'm definitely no Fender expert, but the only P-J configuration basses I can recall seeing in the 70s were all customised jobs either by the owner or by a luthier. The first production bass with that configuration would have most likely been something in the early 80s and I suspect would have had "Jackson" or "Charvel" on the headstock rather than "Fender".

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1503049384' post='3355289']
I don't recall seeing any PJ's looking at old footage, such as OGWT....
[/quote]

Looks like a PJ Mustang (Tina Weymouth), 1978. Does that count?

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kxu5dKqEmZM"]https://www.youtube....h?v=Kxu5dKqEmZM[/url]