Why become a member? ×

Amp advice please

Pinball

I'm thinking I should really have a back up for my GB Streamliner 600, which I have owned from new a long with a Genz Benz NX 212T cab. Any suggestions? Something 2nd hand, compact.

Cab details
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=3] [/size][/font]
[center][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=3]600 W[/size][/font][/center]
[center][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=3]42-18K Hz [/size][/font][/center]
[center][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=3]101 db [/size][/font][/center]
[center][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=3]4 ohm[/size][/font][/center]
[center][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=3]4 K Hz[/size][/font][/center]
Note: I bought my current kit after getting advice on here and have never regretted it so some pointers would be much appreciated.

Edited by Pinball

Good backup amps on the small compact side are GK MB200, TC Electroics BH250. Both would get you out of a jam quite easily. I had the TC BH250 for that purpose and on a couple of occaisions lent it to other bands, through my Barefaced Super12 it was easily powerful enough for pub-sized venues, and for on-stage volumes in bigger venues.

Are you looking for something in the same performance/price bracket as the Streamliner or something to get you out of trouble if the Streamliner failed? TC Electronic stuff is good - their RH450 would probably fit the first category and their BH550 (which I had for a while and liked) the second.

What's the small TC electronics stuff like, sound quality wise? The TonePrint function looks like a lot of fun .. but they're surprisingly cheap for a compact class D, even without with that extra functionality. I'm guessing there is a drawback somewhere - or are they just great value?

I don't have experience with the RH heads but I do own a BH800 and have to say it's brilliant. Unlike the controversy surrounding the advertised wattage of the RH series, the BH heads put out what they say on the box. They're clean, and uncoloured tone-wise with a really well thought out EQ section. Also, the TonePrint feature really isn't a gimmick - there are a lot of really nice sounding patches available which could genuinely remove the need for separate pedals for some people.

[quote name='NickA' timestamp='1503252893' post='3356722']
What's the small TC electronics stuff like, sound quality wise? The TonePrint function looks like a lot of fun .. but they're surprisingly cheap for a compact class D, even without with that extra functionality. I'm guessing there is a drawback somewhere - or are they just great value?
[/quote]

Had a BH550 which I liked a lot - the 2 Toneprints it came pre-loaded with (Spectracomp and octaver) were nice and on-board tuner handy. Recently sold it for £250 (mint) to part-fund a Magellan 800 and wish I could have kept it.