Why become a member? ×

Sandberg TM4 or Stingray

kevham

I have some serious GAS for a Stingray. Always wanted one. Don't know why other than some of my favourite bassists used them and I love the look. My local guitar guitar has my dream stingray in stock just now (a rare thing being a lefty) - black with a rosewood board. However, a friend of mine showed my his Sandberg a few weeks ago and it looked and felt really nice (albeit a righty). Thomann have a lovely cream coloured Sandberg TM4 with rosewood board and it's a good £300 cheaper than the advertised price of the Stingray. I can't try it out though. What should I do?

Bear in mind a TM4 doesn't sound much like a Stingray due to the MM pickup being quite a bit close to the bridge.

But the answer should be play both and get the one that sounds and feels best! You can play the 'Ray in store, was your friend's Sandberg a TM4 so you can compare?

• Like 1

This might sound strange but I'm not so fussed about the tone. More about how they feel to me. Quality, feel, playability, reliability is what I'm interested in.
I should have remembered about Thomann's return policy - I sent back a Tech 21 amp recently! Hmmmm.....

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1503093496' post='3355741']
but the differences are marginal at best
[/quote]

Really?! They're both excellent and much loved, I agree. But they are certainly not clones of each other and definitely have their own personality and tone.

I've loved my TM4 and it's a keeper. It has a really good tonal variation from it's PUPs (Delano's in my version), a good EQ and the ability to play equally well as a passive or active bass. It's very comfortable to play both in terms of balance and action - as you said about your mates' Sandberg: "it looked and felt really nice". There's been a recent thread on Sandbergs on the forum and a lot of love from BCers for these basses: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/306575-talk-me-out-of-a-sandberg-please/page__st__60__p__3320350__hl__sandberg__fromsearch__1#entry3320350"]http://basschat.co.u..._1#entry3320350[/url]

If there is a "criticism" of a Sandberg TM4 it is that it is a very "sensible" high quality bass and does what it does well, and for 90% of playing in a band it will be just the ticket. But it lacks the growl of a bass e.g with Nordstrand or Warwick MEC pups and I'm really glad I've got these as well to pick up when I want something more meaty. The alternative is to get some decent pedals to give you your tonal variety.**

A Stingray has a quite different "sound" and one that you will either love or you won't (it falls into that same marmite category as Warwicks IMHO)**. Spend as much time as you can down at your local store having a play through transparent amps (e.g. a Markbass) so that you can get a feel for the tone and playability, it may, as you say be your dream bass, in which case go for it!

**However if, as I've just seen, you're not worried about tone and are only focusing on play-ability, then I'd say they are both excellent basses. In which case I'd also recommend checking out Ibanez too - they have the most playable neck of the three.

Edited by Al Krow

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1503094327' post='3355747']
Bear in mind a TM4 doesn't sound much like a Stingray due to the MM pickup being quite a bit close to the bridge.

But the answer should be play both and get the one that sounds and feels best! You can play the 'Ray in store, was your friend's Sandberg a TM4 so you can compare?
[/quote]

Spot on, I tried to get on with a TM4 twice in the past and failed. I loved the tone when I tried them and when practicing at home but I was happy with in my band and ended playing a Stingray. I don't think I'm that picky as I now play either a SR5, Ibanez ATK or BTB or my old Bass Collection but not a TM4.
Like someone else said TM4's were lovely but always to polite for me.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1503149481' post='3356068']
Apologies, that should be "You wouldn't let it lie, would you?" :blink:
[/quote]

H you're having to issue far too many apologies on this thread (no need to apologise) :D :D

Edited by Al Krow

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1503149481' post='3356068']

Apologies, that should be "You wouldn't let it lie, would you?" :blink:
[/quote]

Think we need to get Judge Pickles and Lister in right now to sort this........

Spin, spin, spin the wheel of justice.......

Tough choice. I nearly bought a Sandberg JM4 (pre name change to TM4 and change of the body shapes to be less 'Fendery') in 2009, but ended up going for a Sadowsky Metro. The Stingray is an utterly iconic bass though. In terms of build quality of both I think you would actually be okay to buy them without having played one if have made your mind up on what you are wanting.

My view is that if you have been wanting a Stingray for years then you should buy a Stingray. The Sandberg will be a great bass but my guess is that no matter how good the instrument is, your brain will still be sending you 'I want a Stingray' message for months and years to come. Try the bass that is in Guitar Guitar and if you like it, buy it.

• Like 1

[quote name='thodrik' timestamp='1503151369' post='3356085']
Tough choice. I nearly bought a Sandberg JM4 (pre name change to TM4 and change of the body shapes to be less 'Fendery') in 2009, but ended up going for a Sadowsky Metro. The Stingray is an utterly iconic bass though. In terms of build quality of both I think you would actually be okay to buy them without having played one if have made your mind up on what you are wanting.

My view is that if you have been wanting a Stingray for years then you should buy a Stingray. The Sandberg will be a great bass but my guess is that no matter how good the instrument is, your brain will still be sending you 'I want a Stingray' message for months and years to come. Try the bass that is in Guitar Guitar and if you like it, buy it.
[/quote]

+1! Not sure any of us are going to give you better advice than that!

If you want a Stingray for a classic sound especially Bernard Edwards get a Sub, but makes sure it's a USA one and drop a Nordstrand Vintage MM pick up in it.

And then get the Sandy

Job done!

I think I saw a good Ray on a Facebook selling group for about £400 which seemed good value

Edited by Cuzzie

Stingray itch is best remedied by applying a healthy dose of Stingray. Been there, done not quite that... Wanted a Stingray for 25+ years, I blame Gary Grainger for that. Go and listen to Blue Matter, Loud Jazz and Pick Hits Live by John Scofield. Stingray heaven and great musicianship! Finally had the cash to buy one but bought a Sterling 4H instead. I prefer the smaller body and slimmer neck. Soundwise they're both chips off the same block. It's everything I hoped for, sound and playability are both great.

Edited by Treb

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, kevham said:

Thread resurrection.

I finally took the plunge and bought the Stingray last week. Loving it so far. :-)

Nicely!

The only solution. I’ve never liked Sandbergs, none I’ve played have ever given me the right vibe, I think they’re sterile. Similar to Clover, another bass in the same camp.

Any Stingray I’ve played has bags of character and cuts through a mix well. It’s also iconic and looks the business.

1 hour ago, kevham said:

Thread resurrection.

I finally took the plunge and bought the Stingray last week. Loving it so far. :-)

Good choice - i have a Stingray and a Sandberg PM4 (so not quite the same but...) and i love them both. But whenever i gig with any of my other basses for a change i always miss playing the Ray.