Why become a member? ×

An error occurred ...

EssentialTension

If I get the following page when I click on a personal conversation, does it mean I have been put on 'ignore'?

[quote]
[b] An Error Occurred[/b]

Sorry, an error occurred. If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information.

[#10275] [u]You have been [b]banned [/b]from this personal conversation.[/u]

[/quote]

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1503306398' post='3356974']
Could be because the other person deleted the convo - the software is a bit weird, it deletes it for everyone if one person deletes it!
[/quote]

Thanks Ped.

I have seen 'Deleted' on conversations but this one just disappeared except in 'View all notifications' where I get the error as above in the OP using the word 'banned' unlike other deleted conversations where I get the error below with no word 'banned'.

[quote]
[b][size=4]An Error Occurred[/size][/b]

Sorry, an error occurred. If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information.

[#10229] [u]We could not determine which message you were attempting to view.[/u]
[/quote]

I don't need to continue the conversation but did just wonder if I had been put on 'Ignore'.

Edited by EssentialTension

That's easily tested, innit?
Just send me a PM, and I'll put you on ignore after reading it and will post back here when that is done.

[color=#ffffff].[/color]

[color=#ffffff].[/color]

Then again, you won't see this offer, now will you?
:)

Edited by BassTractor

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1503315721' post='3357071']
I'm away this week but I can have a closer look when I'm back. Was there something you needed to get from the convo as I can look at inviting myself in and copying over what you require.

Cheers
ped
[/quote]

Thanks Ped, but I don't need anything really as the business was concluded and there was nothing further to be said.

However, the disappearance of the conversation and the use of the word 'banned' in the error piqued my interest in whether i had been actively put on 'ignore'.

It's no big deal.

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1503315263' post='3357062']
That's easily tested, innit?
Just send me a PM, and I'll put you on ignore after reading it and will post back here when that is done.

[color=#ffffff].[/color]

[color=#ffffff].[/color]

Then again, you won't see this offer, now will you?
:)
[/quote]

PM'd

This is weird.
I first read your PM, and then put you on ignore immediately. Some minutes later, your PM was still readable to me.

Then, just in case, I logged out of my account and closed and reopened my browser and logged in again.
Your PM was still there.

There may be delays in the server's handling these requests, but I now think that maybe the Ignore function is about future PMs.
We'll see tomorrow then.
I'll leave you on ignore until we know more.

BTW, I looked again, but didn't didn't find anything resembling "block".

best,
bert

Edited by BassTractor

Here is the PM i just sent or tried to send to ET:

Hi ET,

Yup! :)

I read your last posts in the thread (through "View it anyway") and am now slightly confused as I can't see any "block" on the whole PM page. When I hover over your name or avatar, I get the usual options of viewing your profile, sending your a PM or finding your posts. I can delete the PM thread or report you. and also invite others into the conversation. No block.

I'll copy this PM to the thread as I don't know whether you'll see it.

best,
bert

Ah!
IOW you did not get the "an error occurred" then, right?
That is interesting, and maybe exactly the difference between 'ignore' and 'block'.

Since I did not get a block option, even if it was you who sent the first PM, maybe this functionality is dependent on platform or browser. I've been on Win 10 and Chrome the whole process but am now checking on several different platforms and browsers. If I don't find anything I'll unignore you and see what then happens.
Will report back.

Hi Dave,

The whole PM thread had vanished.
I then unignored you on the "Manage Ignore Prefs" page, and at that point saw that it does indeed use the word "Block" there.
After this, the PM thread did not reappear right away, but who knows whether it might reappear after some hours.

Right now I'm a bit confused. I'll have me a cup of coffee in some type of vain hope.
You have any ideas?

Edit:
In the mean time, I read on ze innerwebz that sometimes-not-always this happens in the following scenario:
ET sends a PM to BT,
the server sends a notification mail with a link to BT,
ET deletes the PM
BT clicks on the mailed link but gets that error message #10275.

Now where's my coffee?

best,
bert

Edited by BassTractor

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1503398725' post='3357846']

In the mean time, I read on ze innerwebz that sometimes-not-always this happens in the following scenario:
ET sends a PM to BT,
the server sends a notification mail with a link to BT,
ET deletes the PM
BT clicks on the mailed link but gets that error message #10275.

[/quote]

Hence, if I block you, then you get the 'banned' error? Yes?

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1503407746' post='3357963']
Hence, if I block you, then you get the 'banned' error? Yes?
[/quote]

Nope. I haven't seen that error message at all.
First I used the Manage Ignore Prefs page to ignore you (and later discovered that the ignore part for PMs is called "Block"), after which I could still see your PM and also send you a reply to it.
When you had blocked me, the PM thread disappeared totally from my PM pages.

I then unblocked you, and the PM thread didn't reappear, but I got no form of warning about that a thread existed.

My last bit of text was something I read on the net: that this exact error message sometimes occurs when people delete the PM they'd sent - before the recipient had clicked the e-mailed link to that same PM. (E-mail warnings about PMs and quotes can be switched on or off somewhere in your profile IMS.)

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1503415237' post='3358048']
:blink:
[/quote]

Hehehe, but we could easily test that as well.
Just send me a PM without deleting it. When I've received the e-mail from the server, I post here in the thread. Then you delete it, and when you've done so and reported that here, I then click on the link in the e-mail. Maybe I get the dreaded message then.
I should, coz I've read it on the innerwebz! ;)