Why become a member? ×

Realist question

adriansmith247

Hi

I have recently fitted a realist after using a shadow pu for years. (Still fitted to try blending) in fact the realist was professionally fitted

Great sound but the e string is weak and lacks volume. I got away with it at a gig yesterday but feel it wouldn't work out in higher volume gigs

Is this normal for realist?
Can I improve this by moving the realist slightly under the same e foot?

I would like to find a solution that doesn't involve blending two pickups. Some if the best bass sounds I have heard have been with players using a realist so I don't see why I am getting this issue

Thanks
Adrian

Thanks for the responses. Well, the bridge seems to be level and well fitted. The bass has not lost any of it's volume acoustically but I can understand why this type of pickup could affect sound and volume.

The thing is, I have watched many decent players using this pickup at gigs and they get a well rounded and balanced sound. I guess it may be that the pickup is simply not suited to my bass but it does sound better than the Shadow and works well apart from the low volume E string.

It sounds like I may need to try moving the pickup slightly under the foot to see if small changes make a difference. I'll also take out the shadow pickup in case that is having any bearing on things.

Yes, See above. I've only once had an issue with a Realist...and it was because the bridge had been knocked slightly in transit, and it wasn't sitting quite properly. Looked fine, but a tap with a paperback book fixed it. They do sound better on some basses...but string balance is usually very good as long as the two elements are getting equal string pressure.

You can try it under the other foot, but I wouldn't bother. Rubbing a bit of rosin on the copper, bass top and bridge foot can help it to stay put if you find it moves about once in place.

• 1 month later...

No improvement despite trying a few things. The E string is just so low in volume with the Realist but when I use the Shadow pu it is the exact opposite. The E, A and D are loud and well balanced while the G is weak.
Acoustically the bass is well balanced even with pickups installed.

I think I may just be a bit unlucky

I take it your bass sounds even acoustically? (Edit: sorry, you said above it is)
And I assume the Shadow is the "underwood" looking wing type?
Lots of people use the Realist so if it just doesn't suit your bass, I'd say abandon ship. I've never had it on my bass, but I used to have an Eminence and it sounded champion on that. There's no point altering the bridge to suit the Realist unless you will then use it forevermore. And it may not work.
In that case, if you wanted to just have a "truer" sound but not too expensive you could go down the route of Ehrlund. Schertler is much better but more expensive. Remic is brilliant. I have the studio version. I know they make a live version which is apparently much more resistant to feedback and trades off a bit on sound. If you play at extreme volumes however you'd just have to put up with the unnatural sound and stick to underwood-types or get the dreaded mag pickup.

Edited by Rabbie

[quote name='adriansmith247' timestamp='1503305447' post='3356969']
Hi

I have recently fitted a realist after using a shadow pu for years. (Still fitted to try blending) in fact the realist was professionally fitted

Great sound but the e string is weak and lacks volume. I got away with it at a gig yesterday but feel it wouldn't work out in higher volume gigs

Is this normal for realist?
Can I improve this by moving the realist slightly under the same e foot?

I would like to find a solution that doesn't involve blending two pickups. Some if the best bass sounds I have heard have been with players using a realist so I don't see why I am getting this issue

Thanks
Adrian
[/quote]

Hi Just incase....
Where did you get it ?
cant name names here but when i ordered mine from a "Reputable" uk bass maker/shop it was rubbish, nothing like the one i had been trying from a friend. it was a home made copy, and charged me full price. THE Robber ! !
when i got intouch with david gage they sent me out a new one right away even tho this was not their problem.
i still owe them.
David Gage... thanks, what a great Company.
so.....
can you post a pic of it ?
the copys you can tell the copper foil is not cut right, , the heat shrink and cable look cheap mine did not even have the print on it ! and the jack socket was very cheap looking.
and the output was half as weak with nothing but low boom from the E string.

Edited by funkgod

Funkgod, thanks for the thought and worth checking but mine is a real realist from Thomann, all boxed and everything. I will probably be selling it on here soonish.

In fact I tried taking one of the Shadow pickups out of the bridge over the weekend, leaving just one, and it sounded great. Kind of like somewhere between the realist and the shadow but with much better balance. I left one element in the E string side of the bridge, no EQ needed apart from a slight mid cut around 800Hz, nice balance across strings. The only thing I need to get used to is a slight increase in 'punch' at the start of the notes. Not a bad thing really

thanks for all the feedback