Why become a member? ×

Darkglass Super Symmetry and power supplies

DangerDan

I seem to be having very little luck powering my Darkglass super symmetry, regardlesss of what power supply i use.

I have tried:

A 9v 500mah single plug - causes a very quiet hum that ducks when the threshold is engaged

A 9v outlet on my palmer pwt 08 - causes an awful churning sound that makes me panic and unplug straight away (only when the pedal is engaged)

Daisy chained off of my korg pitchblack tuner output - causes it to make a chuffing noise that synchs with the meter lights going out as the comp releases

The only time i have managed to have it silent is when i powered it off a mates mxr dc brick, but the problem with this is that that power supply is insufficient to run my zoom b3n, which the palmer does perfectly due to its isolated 500mah 9v circuit (isolated from the rest of the standard 9v outputs).

Anyone got any ideas why this may be happening? I have tried most of the obvious trouble shooting of having it plugged in on its own, different cables etc. The pedal isn't faulty as it works as expected with the mxr, and makes the noises as described above otherwise, so it has to be a supply issue.

Get an isolated supply with sufficient current.

I run mine either with a Gigrig Power Generator set up, or with the Warwick Rockboard XL battery power supply (the latter isn't isolated, but it's not connected to the mains either - and I only have that, a tuner and an EBS Sheehan Deluxe)

I have a palmer pwt 08 which is an isolated power supply that runs up to 2000mah, the SS needs much less than 100mah. Even when the SS is the only thing connected to it it makes a horrible churning noise.

The only time i have heard it silent is o the non isolated mxr brick. Even plugging it into a 9v 500mah single adapter it makes a noise.

Edited by DangerDan

I'm definitely out of ideas then.

Mine is one of the quietest pedals I've ever known. Even if I'm just using a 1-Spot and daisychaining a few other things.

Do you do your testing at the same time of day? Is the tumble dryer on? Have you got an old and crappy lamp somewhere close?

Do you live within the boundary of the LHD? ;)

Not sure whereabouts you're based, but I've got a sneaky feeling that there is just more background interference in Central London with tubes, rail, telephone and power lines all throwing out EM interference - Grangur and I certainly found that his single coil pups on a couple of his basses had much more pronounced coil him than at his place 50 miles from the Big Smoke! I've developed a bit of a liking for humbuckers in consequence!

Edited by Al Krow