Why become a member? ×

New pickups for my CIJ Geddy Lee: extra ground wire?

BassAgent

[color=#000000][font=-webkit-standard]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]I got this gorgeous 2005 CIJ Geddy Lee Jazz a while back and I LOVE the playability, the neck and so on. But I think the sound could use a little more growl. It feels a bit like my old Celinder so I'm looking for a bit more punch/output/and so forth. So I might be getting a pair of Aguilar 70's pickups, or Aero, or something like that for it. But when I tried to check out the wiring (which was odd anway) I found that the pickups seem to have an extra wire attached to them. I'm used to Jazz pickups with two wires (white and black) but these have an extra one which is soldered to a copper plate in the control cavity. Do I have to find pickups that have that extra wire? [/font][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=-webkit-standard]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][/font][/font][/color]

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[quote name='tommorichards' timestamp='1505842815' post='3374714']
The extra wires won't be coming from the pickups, but a brass plate in each pickup cavity. Its the 70's version of copper tape shielding. Any standard Jazz pickup will fork fine.
[/quote]

what this man says :)