175 replies to this topic

#1 MrDaveTheBass

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Interests:Cushions, Quicksand, Mud Flaps, Big Game, Tuxedos

Posted 24 August 2017 - 11:36 AM

I found out last night that the Ampeg 8x10 that I play through every week at my local rehearsal studio was used by none other than Jah Wobble at the excellent Simon Says festival in Leicester last month. (Great gig BTW).

I'm sure that he wouldn't have sounded so good had it not been for all of my hard work breaking in the cab for him. :-)

So what's your most obscure bass claim to fame?

Did Sting nick your parking spot?

Did Paul McCartney go to school with your dad?

Did you lend Lemmy your last plectrum?
Why brand they us with bass? With baseness? Bastardy? Bass, bass?
(King Lear, Act 1, Scene 2)

#2 Ghost_Bass

yamaholic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,446 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 11:55 AM

I once lend a bass to a well known PT band (well known over here of course) as their roadies forgot to pack the basses in the van. I got a call from a friend who is friends with the band members asking me to help them out. As luck would have it at that time i was the owner of a Fender P (the guy only played with P's) and i was happy to let him have it. They came to my town for lunch (the gig was 30km away from me) and i had coffe with them and talked for a while. It was very nice to meet the guys behing the band (who i knew since i was a kid), they were good and simple people and i had a great bit with them. I got a signed CD and book from them as a gift.
So, my claim to fame is, if i hadn't lend the bass (and they couldn't get another on time) the gig wouldn't happen, LOL

'00 Yamaha TRB-5PII | '92 Yamaha TRB-5P | '85 Yamaha BB1000S

Alembic F-1X + KMT DC5 | Genz Benz STL-9.2 | Barefaced Super12T | Promethean P5110

Korg Pitchblack | MXR Bass Octave Deluxe | Darkglass B3K | 3Leaf Audio Groove Regulator | EBS Multicomp | Zoom B3

My bands:
www.facebook.com/grooves.banda
www.facebook.com/naoha2sem3

My Feedback

#3 Kiwi

Big, bouncy and now officially "dangerous".

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,611 posts
  • Interests:DIY dentishtry. Competitive throat clearing, road raging at Chinese drivers.

Posted 24 August 2017 - 11:59 AM

As a civil servant, I processed the post code for a famous songwriter/bassist-who-cannot-be-named-due-to-the-1989-Official-Secrets-Act census form in 1990 while he was in Newcastle on tour.
Bass: Self built 5-string semi hollow headless, '79 Alembic Series 1 graphite, '78 Musicman Stingray, '86 Pangborn Warlord graphite, '93 Pedulla Pentabuzz, '09 Shuker Headless 6 MIDI (signed by Lee Sklar, Doug Wimbish and Billy Sheehan),'00 Spector NS5CR, '90 Status Series 1 5 string.
Backline: EBS Microbass, FEA Labs Dual Band compressor, Future Impact bass synth, Zoom B3 into two Genz Benz Shuttle 6's and two fEARful F112 cabs, Trace Elliot Hexavalve, two Burman Pro4000HD 140w valve heads

Guitar: Alan Knight 'Hitmaker' tribute, Klein-berger replica with sustainer, Warmoth HSS Strat (signed by Nile Rodgers), Yamaha MSG Deluxe Mk 1, Yamaha MSG Deluxe Mk 2
Backline: Effectrode PC2A compressor, Empress Parametric Eq, Amptweaker Tight Rock, Joyo JF14 American Sound, Zoom G3X, Lexicon MPXG2 + R1 foot controller, Ibanez TSA5 x2 Burman Pro 501 50w combo and Fender Concert II (Rivera era)

Studio: Yamaha CS6R synth module, Axon AX100 pitch to MIDI, Burman GX3 preamp, Lexicon MPXG2 and MIDIman 16ch mixer, Ableton Live + soft synths

#4 Donnyboy

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 12:09 PM

A friend of mine once owned a bass rig, Trace Elliot I think, previously owned by the Pete Agnew of "Legendary Scots Rockers"... Nazareth!!

Description - " Big , heavy, loud, completely impractical.'Nazareth/ Pete Agnew' stenciled on it"

#5 bartelby

Hyper elite member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 12:17 PM

I've mentioned this before: I briefly owned a Trace Elliot MP11 that was part of one of John Enwhistle's touring rigs.
Sent it in to a shop to be serviced/repaired and the shop went bust and the MP11 disappeared.

#6 dlloyd

Should be at work

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,283 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 12:23 PM

About ten years ago a very drunk me was invited by a very drunk Sonny T. (the bass player in this photo) for a jam in his hotel room in Rome. Both of us were too drunk to play.

Posted Image

#7 pfretrock

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 922 posts
  • Interests:Playing stuff that's too difficult for me. Rewiring stuff. Avoiding lead free solder.

Posted 24 August 2017 - 01:15 PM

View PostMrDaveTheBass, on 24 August 2017 - 11:36 AM, said:

Is that a euphemism?
He married a girl from my school.
Euphemism or not, he did not.
Fender MIM P Bass, SD quarter pound, TI flats.
Squier Jaguar Bass (short scale)
Epi Tbird

#8 Jus Lukin

It's only Time 'n' Space, but I like it.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 01:18 PM

View Postdlloyd, on 24 August 2017 - 12:23 PM, said:

About ten years ago a very drunk me was invited by a very drunk Sonny T. (the bass player in this photo) for a jam in his hotel room in Rome. Both of us were too drunk to play.

Posted Image

He looks half legless there, too!

Status Stealth II 5, Yamaha BB425, 3 Pickup Squier Precision TB, Harley Benton 50's P-Bass, Epiphone Thunderbird Classic Pro IV, Epiphone Rumblekat INTO...

Markbass Little Mark II, Blackline 250, NY121 x2, Fender 4x12, Markbass 801 VIA... A vast plastic tub of effects for every occasion.

Feedback HERE

#9 EliasMooseblaster

Complete Arse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,312 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 01:20 PM

Guy Pratt has played my Epi EB3. I've not washed it since.

(Not that I made a habit of washing my basses before the event...)
5th August: Cherry White at The Revelator, Brighton
http://cherrywhitemusic.com

#10 nightsun

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 01:34 PM

Had my Hotrod signed by Jack Bruce....errr that's about it
Currently lugging out the back of the car: TC BH800, BH250, RS210, RS212 | Fender 'Hot Rod' P-Bass 1999 | Fender Flea Jazz 2016 | Fender Highway One Jazz 2006 | Zoom B3 | Digitech Synth Wah

Currently sitting in the spare room: Squire Affinity Jazz V 2011 | J&D JB Vintage 1975 SFGR Jazz 2014 | Harley Benton JB-75NA | Bitsa Precision | Takemine Acoustic | LC Acoustic

Currently making a racket with: Holding Aces | Ragged & Dirty | Various Jam Bands

#11 dood

Basschat Lifer

• Members
  • 8,388,607 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 01:37 PM

Ok, obscure only:

Captain Sensible told me he was going to ask me to join his band. When I asked why he didn't, he said he didn't think I'd want to.

David Ellefson has played my Shuker 7 string.

Glenn Hughes once asked me for amplifier advice.

We once did a better rendition of 'Iron Maiden' that Paul Di'anno, our headline really wasn't happy and got angry with the audience. Who promptly left and joined us in the other bar.

#12 dood

Basschat Lifer

• Members
  • 8,388,607 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 01:38 PM

View Postnightsun, on 24 August 2017 - 01:34 PM, said:

Had my Hotrod signed by Jack Bruce....errr that's about it

On the day of setting out to Jack's house to interview him, he had to cancel due to poor health. Very sadly, we never got to make that trip to meet him.

#13 Burrito

Rock 'n' Rolla

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,672 posts
  • Interests:Rock 'n' Roll, Country, Soul, The 50s, 60s & 70s

Posted 24 August 2017 - 01:40 PM

Earlier on this year we rehearsed in the next room to Chumbawumba.

And I once bought an old Ampeg SVT cab that was reportedly ex-Wurzels.

I'm quietly confident that I must be at least top 3 in the ranks for impressive name drops today!

Gibson Thunderbird into an all valve Ampeg PF50T head and 115HE / 410HLF Portaflex cabs via a Tech 21 VT Sansamp bass pedal

ably supported by a Fender CIJ 50s P-bass, a Rickenbacker 4003s & a long scale Hofner Verythin bass

European Blonde Doghouse bass with Gut-a-Like strings and David Gage Realist pickup

Accessorised with Couch vegan guitar straps and cool rock 'n' roll shoes

CaseHardin are a Clubhouse Records Artist. Check out our critically acclaimed albums "Colours Simple", "PM" & "Every Dirty Mirror" on Amazon, on iTunes and see us live too

Creedence Clearwater Revival Revival (CCRR) are a glorified drinking club who happen to play loud rock 'n' roll!

Appearing live on Saturday 23rd September at The Beer Festival in Yattendon, Berkshire (hic!)

BassChat Terms & Conditions - - - Forum Behaviour Guidelines - - - Rules & Guidelines for The Marketplace

#14 Dad3353

Basschat Lifer

• Forum Moderators
  • 10,775 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 01:45 PM

Already recounted here..., we once lent our bass to Rodney Curtis for a festival gig, as his own was faulty.
Have a nice day
Dad3353 (Douglas...)

BassChat Terms & Conditions............... Forum Behaviour Guidelines............... Rules & Guidelines for The Marketplace

#15 dood

Basschat Lifer

• Members
  • 8,388,607 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 01:47 PM

Dennis Gasser once told me to stop looking like Chris Astley. I actually took that as a compliment, as Gasser is awesome and Xentrix were my fave band at the time, not that I actually went out my way to remotely look Chris. Probably spent more time trying to play like Macca (Not Sir Paul)

#16 leftybassman392

Vogon Poet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,855 posts
  • Interests:Music, Photography, Cars, Computer Gaming, Mathematics.

Posted 24 August 2017 - 01:54 PM

I once got given an LP that I'd won in a pub raffle in Jesmond (Newcastle-on-Tyne for those that need to know). by His Stingness. He and the other members of the band - no, not that band - had signed it. I still have it around somewhere. It was big band jazz featuring Jon Hiseman on drums IIRC.
“We're fickle, stupid beings with poor memories and a great gift for self destruction.” Suzanne Collins.

Stuff that makes the music:
2009 Shuker Jazz 5 L/H
2003 SeiBass Original headless 5 L/H

Stuff that makes the noise:
GenzBenz Streamliner 600/ Vanderkley EXT112

My Feedback thread is HERE

#17 Graham

Four strings good, five strings better

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,796 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 02:00 PM

I once drove half of Rotting Christ, including the bassist, to a festival in Leeds after the organisers had their original driver drop out at the last minute.

I subjected them to my band's album, they were polite about it, which was nice as the lead song writer was a big fan of theirs.
Basses by Lakland and G&L
Amps by EBS and Gallien-Krueger
D'addario strings, Cleartone cables

Experienced bassist available for session / dep work in the Sussex, Surrey and Kent area:
http://www.facebook....GrahamSmithBass

Bassist for Naked Bass - party covers for weddings, parties and corporate events
www.nakedbass.co.uk

#18 Donnyboy

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 02:13 PM

View PostBurrito, on 24 August 2017 - 01:40 PM, said:

Now that's the kind of thing that meets the criteria right there.. perfick :drinks:

So what's your most obscure bass claim to fame?

#19 Trueno

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 02:15 PM

1. Clint Boon watched a gig by my first band... so I was told anyway.
2. I did A level Art with Ted Robbins, who is not only famous in the north west, but is (notably) Macca's cousin.
3. I once went out with Suggs' cousin.
Steve J

#20 No lust in Jazz

Dig if you will

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 02:22 PM

I asked Scott Thunes to bless my marriage - he did and we're now divorced.
Hustle - Loyalty - Respect

#21 dood

Basschat Lifer

• Members
  • 8,388,607 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 02:31 PM

I announced becoming an endorser of a company's product after waiting weeks for it's delivery, only to find on the day of arrival, the company dropped the complete product line and the name stamped on my goods. The goods were 'made to fit and thus weren't returnable'. They've never acknowledged my artist position either especially as I was essentially advertising a design they could no longer be seen to be using.

So close yet so, so far.

#22 AntLockyer

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts
  • Interests:Biker

Posted 24 August 2017 - 02:32 PM

People I've played with recently include Dennis Greaves of Nine Below Zero and....

wait for it...

Charlie Grima the drummer in Wizzard who was on holiday the day they recorded "I wish it could be Christmas everyday"

#23 dood

Basschat Lifer

• Members
  • 8,388,607 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 02:39 PM

View PostAntLockyer, on 24 August 2017 - 02:32 PM, said:

wait for it...

Charlie Grima the drummer in Wizzard who was on holiday the day they recorded "I wish it could be Christmas everyday"

This could be a winner :)

#24 DaveFry

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 02:49 PM

I used to work with a bassist who played a gig here in Jersey supporting the Noel Redding band in the 70s . Afterwards , Noel sold him his Sunn amp that had JHE stencilled on it .

#25 Kevin Dean

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts
  • Interests:Shuker JJB 26, Shuker Black 36" ,Status necked Jazz. Ashdown ABM 1000 .Ahsdown ABM 400 RH . JJB 500. 2 x Ashdown RMT 12" with Sica drivers .

Posted 24 August 2017 - 03:00 PM

When I was about 14 years old, Me " You sound just like the bass player from The Stranglers, He must have been a big influence on you ".....I said that to Chris Squire :) well I didn't know who they were, they were just my mates uncles band .

#26 Mykesbass

Absurd Strawman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,386 posts
  • Interests:Music (funny that), Rugby - referee lower levels in Sussex, food and of course, family.

Posted 24 August 2017 - 03:01 PM

No, but he did ask me which one was the gents loo at a bash, having just seen a woman come out of the ones with urinals in. He was wearing Moroccan style fancy dress, complete with Fez at the time.
My Feedback Here:
My Blog www.modlock.co.uk
My Band Lee Ainley's Blues Storm
My Work Wordcrafting

#27 TheRev

Gobsh*te

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 06:02 PM

Burrito, on 24 August 2017 - 01:40 PM, said:

I've gigged with the current Wurzels bass rig (Ashdown 4x10 combo). Didn't like it.

Half of my bands second album was recorded and mixed by Jim Barr, who played bass with Portishead.

I bought my first bass from the bassist of the band that went on to become The Divine Comedy.

Edited by TheRev, 24 August 2017 - 08:49 PM.

Double bass - it's big, it's clever and it does impress people.

Bigguns: Michael Poller carved double bass (Boris) 1950's double bass - probably Musima (Jayne), Eminence EUB (Barbara)

Littleuns: Musicman Sterling - Italia Rimini- Fender ABG

Boxes: Markbass, Euphonic Audio and Hartke amps - BigE MA45 (THE daddy!) - Bill Fitzmaurice Omni 10.5 - Acoustic Image Coda - Roland Microcube

Fueled by proper I.P.A. and scrumpy

Bass plonker with The Skimmity Hitchers

#28 ern500evo

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 706 posts
  • Interests:Music, football and motorcycles!

Posted 24 August 2017 - 06:27 PM

I bought my Ashdown ABM500evo RC from Doctor and the Medics!
Yamaha Attitude ltd II- sea foam green
MusicMan Bongo 4HS- Stealth
Sire MM V7
Spector NS2000/4
GK MB Fusion 500
Barefaced Big Twin 2

#29 casapete

Hyper elite member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 06:27 PM

As I may have mentioned before on here ....... we had Lee Pomeroy, Donavan Hepburn and a couple
more guys from Jeff Lynne's ELO come to see our ELO tribute band last year. They came up to meet us as we
were packing down after the gig. Lee had a go on my Precision Lyte, and was a top fella.
Glad I hadn't seen him until the end of the gig or else would have freaked.

#30 SimonEdward

E A D G

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Interests:Pedals, effects and many other things ...

Posted 24 August 2017 - 06:38 PM

Not really obscure. But ... my TE GP12XV is ex MK's Summerhouse studio on the Isle of Wight: -

Posted Image

The only other thing I've got is.. John Diggins told me (years' ago) that The Shadows Bass player ~ Alan Jones ~ appeared on Pebble Mill from Birmingham in 1986 with a Jaydee ~ that I still own: -

Posted Image

https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be

Edited by SimonEdward, 24 August 2017 - 06:39 PM.

Simon Edward @ https://infinitybass.com

JAYDEE +++ DAVID EDEN +++ TRACE ELLIOT +++ TC ELECTRONIC +++ EARTHQUAKER DEVICES +++ EHX +++ MONO +++ GATOR

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users