Why become a member? ×

Most Obscure Bass Claim to Fame?

MrDaveTheBass

I found out last night that the Ampeg 8x10 that I play through every week at my local rehearsal studio was used by none other than Jah Wobble at the excellent Simon Says festival in Leicester last month. (Great gig BTW).

I'm sure that he wouldn't have sounded so good had it not been for all of my hard work breaking in the cab for him. :-)

So what's your most obscure bass claim to fame?

Did Sting nick your parking spot?

Did Paul McCartney go to school with your dad?

Did you lend Lemmy your last plectrum?

I once lend a bass to a well known PT band (well known over here of course) as their roadies forgot to pack the basses in the van. I got a call from a friend who is friends with the band members asking me to help them out. As luck would have it at that time i was the owner of a Fender P (the guy only played with P's) and i was happy to let him have it. They came to my town for lunch (the gig was 30km away from me) and i had coffe with them and talked for a while. It was very nice to meet the guys behing the band (who i knew since i was a kid), they were good and simple people and i had a great bit with them. I got a signed CD and book from them as a gift.
So, my claim to fame is, if i hadn't lend the bass [size=1](and they couldn't get another on time)[/size] the gig wouldn't happen, LOL

Ok, obscure only:

Captain Sensible told me he was going to ask me to join his band. When I asked why he didn't, he said he didn't think I'd want to.

David Ellefson has played my Shuker 7 string.

Glenn Hughes once asked me for amplifier advice.

We once did a better rendition of 'Iron Maiden' that Paul Di'anno, our headline really wasn't happy and got angry with the audience. Who promptly left and joined us in the other bar.

[quote name='nightsun' timestamp='1503581690' post='3359365']
Had my Hotrod signed by Jack Bruce....errr that's about it
[/quote]

On the day of setting out to Jack's house to interview him, he had to cancel due to poor health. Very sadly, we never got to make that trip to meet him.

Dennis Gasser once told me to stop looking like Chris Astley. I actually took that as a compliment, as Gasser is awesome and Xentrix were my fave band at the time, not that I actually went out my way to remotely look Chris. Probably spent more time trying to play like Macca (Not Sir Paul)

I once got given an LP that I'd won in a pub raffle in Jesmond (Newcastle-on-Tyne for those that need to know). by His Stingness. He and the other members of the band - no, not [i]that [/i]band - had signed it. I still have it around somewhere. It was big band jazz featuring Jon Hiseman on drums IIRC.

I once drove half of Rotting Christ, including the bassist, to a festival in Leeds after the organisers had their original driver drop out at the last minute.

I subjected them to my band's album, they were polite about it, which was nice as the lead song writer was a big fan of theirs.

[quote name='Burrito' timestamp='1503582018' post='3359368']

And I once bought an old Ampeg SVT cab that was reportedly ex-Wurzels.

[/quote]

Now that's the kind of thing that meets the criteria right there.. perfick :drinks:

[quote name='MrDaveTheBass' timestamp='1503574585' post='3359284']

So what's your most obscure bass claim to fame?

[/quote]

I announced becoming an endorser of a company's product after waiting weeks for it's delivery, only to find on the day of arrival, the company dropped the complete product line and the name stamped on my goods. The goods were 'made to fit and thus weren't returnable'. They've never acknowledged my artist position either especially as I was essentially advertising a design they could no longer be seen to be using.

So close yet so, so far.

[quote name='AntLockyer' timestamp='1503585138' post='3359406']

wait for it...

Charlie Grima the drummer in Wizzard who was on holiday the day they recorded "I wish it could be Christmas everyday"
[/quote]

This could be a winner :)