Why become a member? ×

Most Obscure Bass Claim to Fame?

MrDaveTheBass

Is an obscure drumming claim to fame aloud..? Yes..? OK, then...
When writing up his article covering our gig for his local paper, the journalist mentioned that I'd previously played drums with Dick Rivers (look him up..?). I haven't; we move in different circles.

I didn't mind he's a mate of our drummers and they were using our rehearsal space to put something together for Maddy Prior's Stepping Stones festival near these parts. I always say that's why the knobs are there in the first place and I don't exactly have a signature tone to dial back in :)

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1503608061' post='3359706']
Nice! I think the first ever production 5 was the Yamaha BB5000 in 1985? So yea I expect there weren't too many about!
[/quote]

Fender made a five WAAAAY before that. Also a six. Both in the 60s.

[quote name='Shaggy' timestamp='1503610519' post='3359748']

4. Dave Gilmour (Pink Floyd) was a former pupil at my school, and I once found a book with his name signed in! :) .....which I wish I'd kept... :(. As were most of the Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah band.
[/quote]

Cambridge High School for Boys or the Perse? Which Bonzos? I thought Bubs went to Netherhall. (well he was big enough to count as most of the BDDDB) :lol:

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1503665574' post='3360123']

I think that even beats Bill Wyman!
[/quote]

Yes, I suppose it does but he was well known and I wasn't. My brother made a homemade bass guitar, used the coil from a headphone for the pickup but because he didn't have the skills to put frets in the fingerboard he left it fretless. As I was playing DB back then I found it quite easy to play. Deffo 1959 tho, I played it at my school dance.

I once made Neil Murray a cup of tea. I was working at Roland/Boss at the time and he came to our HQ for something.

I also sat in a hotel bar with Guy Pratt once after a stand up show he was doing called My Bass and Other Animals a few years ago now. Ended up getting pissed together and talking about our fave bass lines.

And Marcus Miller once rang me when I worked at Roland to get some info on a sound module. No idea whether he ever went out and bought it tho!

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1503668858' post='3360178']
Yes it was high C. Alembic did the first low B for Jimmy Johnson in 1981 I think.
[/quote]

Are we talking about the first bass with a low B? Anthony Jackson had one built by Carl Thompson in 1975 apparently...

http://www.melvinleedavis.com/images/Contrabass%20Conception.pdf

My son was gigging one night and a drunken woman remarked that he looked like a young Duff McKagan.
She also remarked that she *would*...

Thing is, I don't know if there are any pics of Duff from when he was 14. Or if he was the object of desire for cougars.