Why become a member? ×

Barring chords

OliverBlackman

I've recently purchased Janek Gwizdala's new chord book, and while watching the video I noticed when he plays minor triads that he bars his first finger across the board so that he plays the minor third on the g string. Now this looks like an ideal way to play it, and he makes it look very easy, but when I try it I get tension in the left hand because I'm trying to fret the G string while avoiding muting the A string so I can play the 5th.

Question: Has anyone else experienced this, and if I practice it regularly for short periods will it become relaxed eventually?

I have experienced pain in my left hand through playing chords etc. Yes it does get better.
If you're specifically talking about barre chords, make sure your thumb is anchored on the back of the neck, quite low, and so that it can pivot. Rather than clamped on like a capo.
Don't know how helpful that explanation is? :rolleyes:

Presumably unconsciously trying to avoid the A string?

You'll just have to practice moving in and out of that position until your brain gets it...

I reckon a lot of people use too much left hand tension.... the amount of pressure you should be putting on the back of the neck should be minimal, like not enough to make an impression if the back of the neck was made out of playdoh.

One thing I did to get rid of tension in the hands (my hands would cramp in the palm at the base of the thumb after a while of playing) was to practice for periods without touching the back of the neck... i.e. with my thumb "hovering" a few inches behind the neck, so I'm only touching the strings with my left hand... needs a little bit of bracing with the right forearm.

Edited by dlloyd

I think I've narrowed the issue down to not getting enough contact with the bottom of the finger on the G string, to to successfully play the root and the tenth with one finger. Especially when I add in the 5th using the 3rd or 4th finger, my index finger tends to lift up very slightly on the G string, trying to keep this down is causing the strain. Think to either stretch my fingers or make them porkier.

I presume we are talking about this voicing:

[url="https://flic.kr/p/XsEc7Y"][/url]

The only notes you need to fret with your first finger are on the E and G string, you don't need to fret the A and D strings so let your finger relax and arch a little (your finger will still be in contact with these strings but it won't be fretting them); if you keep it flat you will certainly experience tension in your hand and wrist.

Try and keep your wrist and forearm straight and do not let your thumb drop too low as this will cause your wrist to bend sharply and will push your hand forward, resulting in the lower part of your first finger losing contact with the G string.