Why become a member? ×

Getting that sound from a Thunderbird

Harryburke14

Hi all,

So a few months ago I bought myself an Ep Thunderbird Classic, the white one with the Gibson USA Thunderbuckers. Lovely bass. Nice, fast neck, surprisingly well balanced and looks cool af.

Thing is, I'm having trouble getting the sounds I want from it, particularly from the neck pickup. All seems very muddy with little to no top end unless I completely roll off the neck pup. Any Thunderbird users give any recommendations of what I can do re EQ on amps, string choice, etc, to brighten it up a bit? I know Jared Followill (Kings of Leon) used one of these Epi Birds for ages and got some great tones from it, so surely it can be done.

I love the look and how it feels and how it plays, but Im still trying to get the sound 10/10 to match.

Edited by Harryburke14

I could never get on with the modern Thunderbirds for that reason. The old-style Thunderbirds have brighter pickups so popping in some Thunderbuckers is an option. Bit pricey though!
I'm really looking forward to getting my hands one the new Epiphone Thunderbird - if they've nailed the pickups it will be a monster.

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1503655470' post='3359966']
I could never get on with the modern Thunderbirds for that reason. The old-style Thunderbirds have brighter pickups so popping in some Thunderbuckers is an option. Bit pricey though!
I'm really looking forward to getting my hands one the new Epiphone Thunderbird - if they've nailed the pickups it will be a monster.
[/quote]

Its funny you mention the new one. I saw the thread on here the day after I bought mine. If I'd have known I probably wouldve held off for the new one because they look awesome.

Although, I could own two birds...

I've got the same bass (except for the colour) and it is very bass heavy. I use rounds on mine (currently strung 120 to 55 and tuned DGCF) and get a decent enough sound from it with the mids boosted on the amp. Same thing with my Gibson T Bird, except that uses 110 to 50 strings and is in standard tuning. The two of them sound and feel very similar to each other.

I play with a pick so like the bottom heavy sound, I find my Fenders a bit twangy in comparison.

Edited by FinnDave