Why become a member? ×

Ashdown RM 500 EVO head

scrumpymike

Found a new one at a really good price, had a play - and like it a lot. Just done a search on the forum and there was a report of a studio buying 3 and having to return all as faulty. Can any long-term users out there comment on their reliability before I pull the trigger on this one as my back-up amp?

[b][i]Changed topic title as this thread has changed from a 420 enquiry into a 500 love-in :D[b][i] !![/i][/b][/i][/b]

Edited by scrumpymike

I have one of the older pre-chromed ones, and like it a lot. I got it in... 2014? and haven't used it hard, but haven't had any problems.

At one point I thought the onboard sub-octave was faulty, and sent it back to Ashdown to see if they could improve the tracking. They were extremely helpful throughout, but ultimately couldn't find anything wrong, so I think the sub is just a bit pants. But as decent and affordable amplifier I am a big fan of it.

I bought a new 800 evo in the spring and it's a great amp. Only complaints have been from guitarists who claim it's too loud! I also have an older 800 (non evo) that I bought on this forum a few weeks ago, no problems with that, either.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='bassix' timestamp='1504125619' post='3362910']
I had the RM420 and sent it back after one practise, just didn't cut through sufficiently. Got the RM EVO 500 and no such problems, I see you already have one..
[/quote]

Yep, ended up getting the one from Lozz - really pleased with it!

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1505373092' post='3371339']
Nice one Mike, glad you like it, they really are a hidden gem amongst the smaller Class D amps imo, seem to have a lot more "oomph" to them.
[/quote]

Hi Lozz - couldn't have put it better myself :) Post from Bassix confirms that I did the right thing!

[quote name='scrumpymike' timestamp='1505406302' post='3371712']
Hi Lozz - couldn't have put it better myself :) Post from Bassix confirms that I did the right thing!
[/quote]

Def Mike, in fact it was hearing Bassix`s RM500 at a gig that prompted me to buy mine.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1504083517' post='3362496']
I bought a new 800 evo in the spring and it's a great amp. Only complaints have been from guitarists who claim it's too loud! I also have an older 800 (non evo) that I bought on this forum a few weeks ago, no problems with that, either.
[/quote]

Are there any tonal differences between those two?

[quote name='gillento' timestamp='1505665832' post='3373446']
Are there any tonal differences between those two?
[/quote]

The evo is much more aggressive, which suits my style of playing and the bands I play with. In fact, I will be selling the non evo root master to replace it with another evo when I can afford to.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1505670793' post='3373469']

The evo is much more aggressive, which suits my style of playing and the bands I play with. In fact, I will be selling the non evo root master to replace it with another evo when I can afford to.
[/quote]

Would you be able to say whether either one is closer than the other to the ABM600? I've had a non-evo RM800 for a while now but recently picked up an ABM600 which I'm really enjoying for its extra 'authority' (for want of a better description) of delivery. I'd be really interested to know whether the RM evos get you any closer to that character in a smaller package, as I won't always be able to transport the ABM. Cheers!

I've just sold my ABM 600 as the RM 800 evo does everything I need and is smaller and lighter. I suspect the non evo is closer to the ABM than the evo, but I never compared the three of them back to back. I prefer a more aggressive sound, so the RM evo suits me best. My current plan is to sell my ABM 500 evo 2 and rootmaster 800 and just have a couple of rm 800 evos. But that's just the way I play, might not suit everyone.

Cheers for that! I'm far from unhappy or disappointed with the original RM800 (especially given what I paid for it when they were clearing them out to make shelf space for the Evos) and it's thus far proven reliable, so I guess I'll stick with it as I don't think a difference in tonal aggression is what's leading me to just slightly prefer the ABM600.

I had the RM-500-EVO that Scrumpymike now has as a backup to my ABM600. I found it to be pretty near the ABM tonally, the only real difference being the lows on the ABM are at 60Hz I think, in comparison to the RMs 100Hz, so adjusting lows gave a slight difference. Other than that the only other difference was the H-word, heft, that authority of delivery. On bigger stages the ABM just has more.

I use the RM500 EVO head with two RM fifteen inch speakers. It's a hell of a rig, I always get asked to turn down! I find the tone can get aggressive when you dig in but you can tame it a lot. It's just a really simple head, easy to get the tone set as you want and getting a two button footswitch really helps, in fact it replaced my entire effects board on Saturday night. I bought the head thinking I'd try it and see if I liked it and I can't see me needing more power or other options in the foreseeable future.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='uk_lefty' timestamp='1505760164' post='3374141']
I bought the head thinking I'd try it and see if I liked it and I can't see me needing more power or other options in the foreseeable future.
[/quote]

Couldn't have put it better myself! Only thing I can fault is the relatively noisy fan - not really a problem in the gigs I do but is that normal?

[quote name='scrumpymike' timestamp='1506936210' post='3382034']

Couldn't have put it better myself! Only thing I can fault is the relatively noisy fan - not really a problem in the gigs I do but is that normal?
[/quote]

We did have a batch of fans that were noisier than we would have liked it was caught quickly but there are a few out there, if it's troublesome we would be happy to swap the fan out for a quieter one for you. You are free to pop in and we can sort whilst you wait or if you want to pop it in the post we can sort and ship back to you. Just let me know. Cheers.

The awesomeness of Ashdown customer service right there.

[quote name='Ashdown Engineering' timestamp='1506981639' post='3382575']

We did have a batch of fans that were noisier than we would have liked it was caught quickly but there are a few out there, if it's troublesome we would be happy to swap the fan out for a quieter one for you. You are free to pop in and we can sort whilst you wait or if you want to pop it in the post we can sort and ship back to you. Just let me know. Cheers.
[/quote]

[quote name='Ashdown Engineering' timestamp='1506981639' post='3382575']
[/quote]

Thanks for your generous offer, which I am gratefully accepting (pm sent) - as market awareness and customer support goes, it just doesn't come any better than what you've done here :)

[quote name='mr4stringz' timestamp='1507030352' post='3382814']
[/quote]

+1 :D I've never had an Ashdown and other than a CTM, I probably never will but this level of service really is to be applauded. :)

[quote name='mr4stringz' timestamp='1507030352' post='3382814']
[/quote]

They really take it to the next level, great comany to deal with, and Mark himself is very helpful.