Why become a member? ×

Finally the Precision I've always wanted. Apologies to stingray fans.

fretmeister

[quote name='scrumpymike' timestamp='1505733537' post='3373813']
The One10 will also contribute to the vintage tone you're getting.
[/quote]

No doubt! I don't like their regular cabs, but I love the One10.
I'd love to have the Four10 as well but at the moment I'm driving a Polo - I'd never get it in!

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1505734539' post='3373823']

No doubt! I don't like their regular cabs, but I love the One10.
I'd love to have the Four10 as well but at the moment I'm driving a Polo - I'd never get it in!
[/quote]

I had a 4*12 in a Ka, having a polo is no excuse for not having a Four 10!

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1505851366' post='3374807']
Nice!

Now, if you're bored one day... post that picture on the EBMM forum, and retire to a safe distance to watch the fireworks :lol:
[/quote]Sterling Ball would have a stroke, he'd be apoplectic.

They went mental when I had a blue Ray years ago and I said I wanted to swap the pickup for something with a smooth top, like a ramp.
There was even a dig when I said I wasn't using EB strings.

I understand that any forum set up by a manufacturer is going to want their own product to be front and centre, but the entire "EBMM can do no wrong, no improvements are possible" is just bizarre bollocks.

Still, if you want to see a meltdown. There was a thread on TGP a few months ago - post a pic of yourself and your other half.

A friend of mine posted a pic of himself and his husband...

He knew the reaction it would get from the guns & Jesus crew on there. It was hilarious at the same time as being a bit on the scary side.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Used it at rehearsal this morning.

its perfect. And now it will also do an excellent Marcus slap sound.

Set list today was

Superstition

Dont worry ‘bout a thing

Gonna Fly Now (Rocky theme)

Live and let die

Hawaii 5-0

all big band jazz arrangements 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm on a sorta' similar project. I own 2 USA SR5s and would never dare such a mod on them, so recently got a nice used SBMM Ray35 to do the P+MM franken-thing, been updating a TB thread about it. I'm waiting for delivery of a Wilde (Bill Lawrence) P-46 pickup to add to this. Also trying other pickups I have at hand with a rather "ratrod" test rig (in this photo with a cheapo -Donlis brand- pickup)...

donlis3.jpg

My intention is to integrate it as much as possible into the Musicman scheme, preferrably thru' the stock preamp. In the case of a P pickup I'd route the lower strings part of the P in its "standard" position but move the high strings' part towards the neck, reverse P. I'll update as soon as I do the final install.

EDIT: BTW, I've made all sorts of switching mods to Stingray 5ers (both 2 coil as in this case and 3 coil as my USA SR5s). Besides this pickup addition I'm all for full humbucker flexibility. I particularly love how the neckside coil of the stock humbucker sounds when soloed (something not possible when stock either for the 3 coil -single+dummy mode only uses the bridgeside coil- and 2 coil -doesn't even have single coil mode but the "filtered series", which I don't dig at all-). Just ask via a message (not to hijack this thread) and I'll point you to threads and sample videos I've made about it. Being able to solo the neckside coil of a musicman adds a great "P meets Ray" tone in fact, all the punch, authority and cutting ability of a Musicman, plus some of that distinctive P "clonk" we all love. The bass in the photo (a 2-coil humbucker SBMM Ray35) has in fact one of those mods, which simply cut either coil for real single coil tones when in parallel (or none for the stock parallel wiring -and for the other series positions to work-). Can do 2 more tones apart from the stock 3 settings.

Edited by andruca
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So, I've been doing some testing with 2 P pickups (one from a 4 string thomann kit build and the Bill Lawrence P46) and the cheapo big pole J from AliExpress and finally decided on this last one (more on that in my TB thread about this, don't want to hijack too much). Here's a quick pic...

ray35_2pickup.jpg

Carving was a mix of my Skil rotary tool, chisel, drill, files and sanding (don't have a proper router -nor the plunge adapter for my rotary tool-), still came out very decent. Here are some samples of the 9 different tone settings it now has, in the following order (coil 1 being closest to bridge):
- COILS 1 and 2 (STOCK, typical Musicman): parallel, filtered series, series
- COILS 1 and 3 (jazzy, sorta'): parallel, filtered series, series
- SINGLE COILS: 1, 2, 3 (this last one is the P'ish one, new pickup soloed)

EDIT: sounds better explained in vid...

Edited by andruca
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

I've been playing this lovely thing a great deal. I've gone through a load of different strings to see what I like on it too.

One thing I've really noticed is that when it was just a P the B could be a bit crap with the wrong strings, particularly flats. The B would be flubby and not have the same tone as the other strings. D'addario Pro-Steels sorted that out perfectly but I still wanted to do a Duck Dunn thing for the big band.

The new J pickup has cured that flub even with low tension flats (La Bellas). I suppose the J is just sensing the string at a point where string movement is a lot less. 

It's definitely not the Duck way of getting that tone, but I've got the J at full volume with the tone backed off to about half-way, and then I ease up the P to taste.

"Shake a tail feather" now sounds bang on.

Summer Concert is on Saturday and I'm looking forward to it!

34 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

One thing I've really noticed is that when it was just a P the B could be a bit crap with the wrong strings, particularly flats. The B would be flubby and not have the same tone as the other strings. D'addario Pro-Steels sorted that out perfectly but I still wanted to do a Duck Dunn thing for the big band.

I have a (different) 5-string PJ and I've recently been experimenting with mixing strings -- I have rounds on the BE, and flats on the ADG.  I keep it on just on the P pickup for motown stuff. Seems good so far.