Why become a member? ×

Unbalanced volume between strings issue...

cLepto-bass

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone might be able to provide me with any thoughts on an issue that I have been experiencing with my bass.

The bass in question is one of the older (more pretty) Sandberg JM California 5 strings. Specifically, I have it tuned in the high C format (e.g. E-A-D-G-C)

All things considered, I absolutely bloody love this bass and see no reason why I would ever move it on. However, I have long noticed that the low E seems to be fractionally, albeit noticeably, quieter when compared to the other strings. The thing is that its quiet hard to actually describe exactly what I mean as its not a simple case of the overall volume that drops, but more that bell like presence and attack is slightly muted on the E string when compared to the others. I have tried various strings over the months but the issue is still present.

In the past this has not really concerned me due to my playing style but I have recently started a new project that will require more use of the E string and I really want to be confident that it can offer the thunderous low notes that I am hearing in my head.

I was just wondering if anyone has any similar experience or able to offer any advice? For example, would a compression pedal help in this?

Thanks in advance for any help.

You may well have tried all of these steps, but worth checking.

Is the issue present when you pan so only one pickup is used?
Do you need to bring the pickups closer to the E string to increase output in the lower end?
Have you checked that the bridge saddle is seated correctly?
Is the string pinched in the nut?
Is the string sitting correctly on the zero fret?

Edited by walbassist

Ideas to try -

Bump the low E up a gauge. I do this with my 5 strings with the B - e.g. 125, 100, 80, 60, 40 - because for how I play, I always noticed that the matching 120 seemed less weighty than the rest of the strings.

The E string needs to be closer to the pickup - try raising the pickup up to get a better balance across all the strings. Don't assume that you pickup has to be seated level to the fascia of the bass... they are adjustable for this reason. If you play with a high action, it may also be the case that you need to lower the E string at the bridge.

Not all string brands are the same - it may be worth trying different strings to settle on a strings that perform uniformly for each respective string. I tried a load of strings before I settled on DR. For me, they work the best for my technique and my basses.

Have you had the nut replaced? If the nut was cut for a B and you are now using an E, then there will be too much play in the string at the nut, which will lead to a loss of sustain and volume. You may want to look into this - it's quite easy to build up a nut without replacing it (e.g. mix up sanding dust from another nut, mix with epoxy glue and fill into the existing nut and refile it for your E string).

A compression pedal would help to some extent - but it's really a masking of the problem as opposed to being a solution to the problem at the source... and unless you really know how to use a compression pedal, you could introduce yourself some more problems - as thats a few extra variables to throw into the mix.

With a thin strip of metal, even a small screwdriver test the pick up for equal magnetic strength - especialy under the outside strings. A delicate touch is required to sense the pull of the magnets but it can show up shortcomings in the pick up magnet department.

Wow, this is all great advice so thank you very much.

I will have to check out some of these recommendations later this evening but off the top of my head I was suspecting that the nut might have something to do with it. I have never actually got around to replacing the nut as I kind of assumed (perhaps erroneously) that the zero fret would negate the need for addressing the nut. However, I am happy to be be wrong on this.

So as a general suggestion, is it wise to get the nut sorted out before doing anything else more drastic?

Whilst I am at it, does anyone happen to know which string brands offer a complete 5 string set with the high C option? Up to now I have been mix 'n' matching a standard D'Addario 4 string set with an extra string for the C?

Thanks again all.

[quote name='uzzell' timestamp='1504004950' post='3362034']
Wow, this is all great advice so thank you very much.

I will have to check out some of these recommendations later this evening but off the top of my head I was suspecting that the nut might have something to do with it. I have never actually got around to replacing the nut as I kind of assumed (perhaps erroneously) that the zero fret would negate the need for addressing the nut. However, I am happy to be be wrong on this.

So as a general suggestion, is it wise to get the nut sorted out before doing anything else more drastic?

Whilst I am at it, does anyone happen to know which string brands offer a complete 5 string set with the high C option? Up to now I have been mix 'n' matching a standard D'Addario 4 string set with an extra string for the C?

Thanks again all.
[/quote]
I would wager that a correct nut slot for the B will improve the situation drastically (in fact all of the slots should probably be refilled/refiled or the nut itself replaced (although this can come with a risk if there if the lacquer has been blown over post the install of the nut - if in doubt go and see a luthier)).

You are in same game as me... I have to buy sets of 4s and then buy in my separate Bs. Can be a hassle but it's worth it.

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1504012564' post='3362101']
As a temporary measure, try wrapping a strip of paper around the E string where it sits in the nut so it is nice and snug. if that improves it you know to get a new nut
[/quote]
The problem is more likely to be a slot that's over-tight than one that's over-sized.

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1504012564' post='3362101']
As a temporary measure, try wrapping a strip of paper around the E string where it sits in the nut so it is nice and snug. if that improves it you know to get a new nut
[/quote]

Thanks for the advice. Well take care of that.

In the meantime, here is the current state of affairs.

Even if its not the nut that is causing the issue, its about time that I saw to sorting this out.

Thanks again all