Why become a member? ×

IEC chassis mounted coupler

prowla

I've put some things into a 4U 19" rack and at the moment I've got a mains 4-way extension in the rack with its trailing lead running out with a 13A plug on it, which is a bit scruffy.

I'd really like to have a connector panel on the back to plug things into and I have a 1U panel and MIDI & jack sockets for it and am looking for a suitable mains socket to complete it. I can then close off the back of the unit with a filler panel, to make it self-contained with three connectors to plug mains/MIDI/audio into.

To do that I want to put an IEC (320/kettle) mains socket there, but they all seem to be open-backed with solder tabs for connecting the inner-side wires to (ie. intended for enclosed equipment), so I'd need to do extra work to make the inside side safe.

What I'd really like is a M-F coupler which is chassis mounted.

Is there such a thing?

Can't say that I've ever come across the exact thing that you are after but you can get insulating boots for the rear of IEC sockets - [url="http://uk.farnell.com/mckee-hagborg-connectors/dip-iec6l-bk/insulation-boot-iec-black/dp/427330?mckv=8y38WpcI_dc|pcrid|78108488349|&gross_price=true&CATCI=pla-74724723907&CAAGID=20220781389&CMP=KNC-GUK-GEN-SHOPPING-MCKEE_HAGBORG_CONNECTORS&CAGPSPN=pla&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-oDzgMD-1QIV7Z3tCh0kZg7kEAYYASABEgKv3_D_BwE&DM_PersistentCookieCreated=true&CAWELAID=120173390001362953"]Link[/url]

If you fit one of those and secure it in place would that work for you? As an added precaution I would buy some thin sleeving and fit it over the individual live, neutral and earth wires where they connect to the tags. Heat-shrink sleeving would be ideal for this.

Two things that you should consider before "sealing" off your rack case.

1. Airflow. many rack units even if they don't have fans or heat sinks rely on the design of the rack case to direct the airflow over them to keep cool. Blanking off the unused rack slots might prevent this. At the very least consider vented blanking panels rather than plain ones.

2. No matter how well you think you've got everything fitted and secured, eventually things will work loose, and an open U or two can be invaluable when trying to find out exactly what has come undone when one or more items in your rack suddenly stop working for no apparent reason.

[quote name='whizzzy' timestamp='1504080700' post='3362477']
Can't say that I've ever come across the exact thing that you are after but you can get insulating boots for the rear of IEC sockets - [url="http://uk.farnell.com/mckee-hagborg-connectors/dip-iec6l-bk/insulation-boot-iec-black/dp/427330?mckv=8y38WpcI_dc|pcrid|78108488349|&gross_price=true&CATCI=pla-74724723907&CAAGID=20220781389&CMP=KNC-GUK-GEN-SHOPPING-MCKEE_HAGBORG_CONNECTORS&CAGPSPN=pla&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-oDzgMD-1QIV7Z3tCh0kZg7kEAYYASABEgKv3_D_BwE&DM_PersistentCookieCreated=true&CAWELAID=120173390001362953"]Link[/url]

If you fit one of those and secure it in place would that work for you? As an added precaution I would buy some thin sleeving and fit it over the individual live, neutral and earth wires where they connect to the tags. Heat-shrink sleeving would be ideal for this.
[/quote]
Thanks - that could be handy as a plan-B!

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1504110428' post='3362767']
Two things that you should consider before "sealing" off your rack case.

1. Airflow. many rack units even if they don't have fans or heat sinks rely on the design of the rack case to direct the airflow over them to keep cool. Blanking off the unused rack slots might prevent this. At the very least consider vented blanking panels rather than plain ones.

2. No matter how well you think you've got everything fitted and secured, eventually things will work loose, and an open U or two can be invaluable when trying to find out exactly what has come undone when one or more items in your rack suddenly stop working for no apparent reason.
[/quote]
Thanks - yes, it would be a vented panel.
And yes again, a blank panel is easily unscrewed.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1504118224' post='3362842']
If you want a "filler panel" get the mesh type - not the closed off type.
[/quote]
Yes - for sure!
(Actually, the panel I have for mounting sockets has pre-drilled holes right across.)

• 1 month later...