Why become a member? ×

Double ball end strings - Status

ped

Hi all

I'm looking for some double ball end round wound strings for my half sized bass. my idea is that rather than buying normal strings and cutting them literally in half and throwing the rest away, I could buy double ball end strings and use the other half at a later date.

First of all, it's not easy finding a set with a high 'c' but Status do a 6 string set so I could give the B string away. Edit - just seen I can buy individual strings from Status.

Second of all I just need too heck the overall length of the string, ball to ball - does anyone have a set they could measure for me?

Cheers
ped

[quote name='bazztard' timestamp='1504108973' post='3362749']
bad idea, the open end of each string will be too fat to wind on the tuner and will probably start to unwind, coz you're gonna cut the string at it's centre,the thickest part
[/quote]

Sorry I should have said, the bass is headless so the string will be clamped at the end of the bass, not wound, so although cutting the strings will take some decent tools, there is no extra length needed for winding.

Here's the end clamp

[url=https://ibb.co/fJjQNF][/url]

I just found a part of the Status site where they list the length of the strings - 908mm. JUST too short to install half at a time with any wiggle room, unfortunately. It might JUST work but I probably won't gamble on it, especially as Elixirs are my fave anyway. Just seems a waste to chuck half the string away!

[quote name='whizzzy' timestamp='1504118564' post='3362843']
I've just been able to measure the Status strings on my Spirit XZ-25 and under tension, from hole centres of each ball the string length is 914mm, so I don't know if that helps.
[/quote]

Thanks for that, seems a bit longer than the spec in their site then. 914mm would fit ok. 908mm is a bit tight but just about doable.

I've emailed status to check how accurate their current specs are (seems they changed manufacturer recently) so maybe they'll send me some?

Are your strings new or have you had hem a while? Maybe they're the new manufactured ones?

The strings are flatwounds and are about 18 months old at a guess. I suppose the other factor is where you measure the string from and to. If you measure from the point at which is attaches to the ball then you'll loose another 2.5mm at each end approx.

I have a brand new set of GHS strings here also and measuring the E string shows it to be 913mm from ball centre to ball centre. From ball edge to ball edge it is showing 908mm so I suppose this is where Status are getting their dimensions from.

Thanks again. Status say 908mm is between the 'inside of each ball end' which sounds like ball centre to me. Like you say though I reckon that's probably generous. I calculate I'll need about 910mm minimum to allow correct installation (with bridge anchor right forwards then pulled back to tune).

Think I'm just going to have to try some. Worst case scenario I'll get at least one set from a pack...

Thanks. It seems double ball end strings are a standard length (makes sense) which is just about too short for my purpose but never mind. I ended up getting some of my favourite Elixirs and cut the rest off, which seems a waste but can't be helped!

[quote name='bazztard' timestamp='1504771963' post='3367134']
the offcuts make great nut files and pipe cleaners :)
[/quote]

Ah but my basses all have a zero fret and my house is a rental so I'm not to concerned about the pipes! Any other suggestions?