Why become a member? ×

Phantom Power and Batteries

kodiakblair

The Harley Benton Bass Expander says it works off phantom power and I thought it did till it stopped working :angry:
Opening up the box I found a 9v connected so I swapped mixer incase the mixer wasn't kicking out enough juice. The Alesis has 4 XLR so should easily power a 9v pedal.But it didn't :(

Returned the unit to Thomann and yesterday I got the exact pedal back (matching serial numbers) with a 9v fitted again.

I'm getting the same results. When connected to mixer with no battery the lights are dim and zero volume. It works great using dc or the battery. Thinking it may need a battery in place to complete a circuit I stuck a dead 9v in but that didn't work,no lights or sound.

Anybody came across phantom power that needs a battery to work ? I'm giving the pedal the benefit of the doubt as the original mixer was a wee Behringer and may not have been up to scratch.

What's your thoughts folks, faulty mixer or faulty pedal ?

[quote name='kodiakblair' timestamp='1504204380' post='3363424']
Cheers pete.

The spec says it needs 40mA max to power it, the recommended power supply is rated 500mA. I'm trying to find specs for the Hartke Bass Attack as it works prefectly with both mixers via phantom power.

I'm more confused than normal :)
[/quote]

The manual suggests that the DI switch must be in the GND position for Phantom Power to work. I'm sure you'll have tried it, but in case you haven't..

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1504209445' post='3363468']
The manual suggests that the DI switch must be in the GND position for Phantom Power to work. I'm sure you'll have tried it, but in case you haven't..
[/quote]

lol what if you get a Ground loop? sorry folks, show's cancelled lol

[quote name='bazztard' timestamp='1504500303' post='3365219']
lol what if you get a Ground loop? sorry folks, show's cancelled lol
[/quote]

Ha ha!! It's not just this pedal that requires switch to be in said position, I've seen it on others too. It's necessary for Phantom Power to work :)