Why become a member? ×

Yamaha TRBX504 neck relief

tumilho

[color=#191919][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=4]Hi guys,[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#191919][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=4]I have a TRBX504 and a setup issue, that i can't solve.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#191919][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=4]When i bought my bass, about 2 months ago, the original setup was good.. I had no need to mess with it.[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#191919][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=4]Since the beginning, i've noticed that the neck was very straight, but i could play without noises and buzzess.[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#191919][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=4]After the first month, i've start to notice some minor buzz on the higher frets.. 12th and up..[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#191919][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=4]After an eye inspection, it seems the neck developed a very slight curve on the nut region (backbow).[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#191919][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=4]I've made an adjustment on the truss rod, counterclockwise, to have some neck relief, and the backbow disappear.[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#191919][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=4]I have needed about 1/2 turn to get some visible correction, and it solve the buzzess problem.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#191919][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=4]But, i've never get a real relief. The neck was straight as it comes from the store.[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#191919][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=4]If i put a capo on the first fret, and press down the last fret, i have 0 distance between the strings and the frets.[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#191919][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=4]The strings just touch on all frets.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#191919][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=4]The playability is great, and i can get a very low action with it.. but i've start to think that the correct geometry, is to have a slight bow on the neck, and try to get that with some more truss rod adjustment.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#191919][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=4]No success.. i can relief the truss rod all the way until the adjustment bolt felt really loose (counterclockwise), without any change on the neck.[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#191919][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=4]It just stay perfectly straight.[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#191919][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=4]It seems that the strings can't pull the neck to form the correct bow.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#191919][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=4]This, with the strings on. I have never take them off.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#191919][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=4]Just to know.. how are the necks of your TRBX's? They are straight like mine? or you can get a slight bow with a truss rod adjustment?[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#191919][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=4]My fear is that, if the neck develops a backbow, i will can't correct it, since the truss rod is on neutral position.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#191919][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=4]Regards,[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#191919][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=4]Tiago Silva[/size][/font][/color]

If you want more relief in the neck then there are only three cheap options that I can think of. First is to fit slightly heavier strings. This will increase the pull on the neck, hopefully enough to provide the relief you want.
Second, if it's a double action rod you can go beyond the neutral position to introduce some forward bend in the neck. Obviously if it's only a single action rod then this isn't an option. Third is to take it back to the shop or return it to Yamaha. Inability of a neck to be in some relief is a defect in my opinion.
Alternatively if the buzzing is on the higher end of the neck (ie nearer the bridge) you can increase the string height a little. This may solve the buzzing issue.

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Thanks for the answer, but i have already solve the problem.
I thought the TRBX504 action rod was single action.
In reality its a dual action rod, and after the neutral position, i was able to force the neck to have a nice soft bow.[/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#191919]Now i have the perfect clearence and a nice low action.[/color]

[color=#191919]For the negative, as i like very low action, any fret misalignment will show up easy.[/color]
[color=#191919]This setup revealed a low 5th fret. When you play the 6 fret it slightly buzzess.[/color]
[color=#191919]Today i went to a local luthier and he confirm the misaligned fret.[/color]
[color=#191919]He inspected the bass top to bottom, and was the only issue that he have found. He will make me a total fret alignment,[/color]
[color=#191919]and the bass will have a perfect setup.[/color][/font][/size]

[color=#191919][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Regards,[/font][/color]
[color=#191919][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Tiago Silva[/font][/color]