Why become a member? ×

Hard for Vanderkley cabs

shafty2.3

Thanks to all for comments to my last post (New head and cabs). Checked out a few combinations and impressed with Vanderkley cabs. Tried with a few different heads, Darkglass M900, Mesa 800, Aguilar 700. Of these I preferred the Aguilar but I'm tempted to go for valves. Would love to try the Vanderkley Spartan but they don't have one yet. Any suggestions? Is it worth the extra for valves being as the new generation of solid state amps sound so good? Thanks again.

It's all down to your lug-a-bility

If you don't mind valves then go hard for something like a Mesa 8:88 or a Verellen Meatsmoke maybe a wizard amp.

They will blow your socks off

If I was going all out for class D I would go for a Tech 21 dUg Ultrabass every day

Edited by Cuzzie

I used valve heads 40 years ago and other than one catching fire on stage I loved the sweet tone. In those days solid state sounded tinny in comparison. I'm obviously old school but I'm amazed by how good the new solid state heads are.......but.......can't get my valve experience out of my head (pun). Just need reassurance from players who've been solid state for some time. Most people I talk to still say......you still can't beat valves.

• 2 weeks later...