Why become a member? ×

September Composition Challenge - GET WRITING

Dad3353

[color=#800000][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=5][b]September’s Composition Challenge is now under way![/b][/size][/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=5]Here's the picture chosen for this month's Challenge by last month's Winner: Xgsjx :)[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Click on the 'Spoiler' button below to read the usual rules and caveats:[/font][/color]

[spoiler][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]By entering the competition you agree to the Basschat Terms and Conditions and Forum Guidelines, which are designed to help ensure the forum remains free of offensive and/or illegal behaviour and material. In a nutshell:[/font][/color]

[b]1) Please avoid any content that other forum users may find offensive.[/b][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] If your track contains explicit lyrics, then please warn other forum users so they can choose for themselves whether to listen to it.[/font][/color]

[b]2) Please make sure you have permission to use any 3rd party sounds included in your track[/b][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] (ie. sounds that you have not recorded yourself, such as samples of other people's music). The owners of Basschat accept no responsibility for infringements of copyright or other forms of legal ownership, which are solely the responsibility of competition entrants.[/font][/color]

[b]3) Entries should be no more than five minutes long and written/produced during the month of the competition[/b][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif], taking inspiration from the photo provided. No cheating![/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]If you have any questions, just ask.[/spoiler][/font][/color]
[b][color=#800000][size=5]The deadline for entries is midnight on Saturday 23rd September.[/size][/color][/b][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color]

Edited by Dad3353

Doom..? Doom..? Doom..! Ah, yes..! Doom..! Thanks for the tip; I'll get onto that right away..! Where's my keyboard..?

([i]Doom... Now then, what have I in stock suitable for Doom..? Storm samples..? Nah, too evident. Screeching brakes..? Nah, not on a traction engine..! Doom... Hmm... Not as easy as I first thought. Doom... Doom... Doom... Doom... Doom... No, nothing coming so far[/i]... :()

Edited by Dad3353

Inspired by Stephen King's "IT".

"I'll kill you all! Ha ha! I'll drive you crazy, and then I'll kill you all! I'm your every nightmare you ever had, I'm your worst dream come true! I'm everything you're ever afraid of!" - Pennywise.

Oh wait, hang on... what happened here? That's not my usua....

https://soundcloud.com/mornats/carouhell

Step right up, you'll float too!

i have been out for a couple of months, been rather lacking in inspiration recently. hardly been playing anything at all so there wasnt much hope for anything composition wise. i decided to try and get back in to things though. so this is based around having a head full of acid at the fair. i wanted it to sound like the fair was just off kilter so everything just seem not quite right. i went for the tradition waltz style tunes as a basis. not sure if it works but a proper tune wasnt very forthcoming so i figured something closer to a soundscape would serve. the human noises are courtesy of my mum and little brother.

https://soundcloud.com/christofloffer/acid-at-the-carnival

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I've got Stuff happening right now, so I'll get this posted in here whilst I can. Here, then, is...[/font][/color]

[color=#800080][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][b]The Return Of The Return Of 'Play Of The Day'..![/b][/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]In order of appearance...[/font][/color]

[color=#800080][b]'Doom Di Doom Di Doom', from Dad3353 ...[/b][/color]

A steady 'chug', but it's a lure, a sort of count-in to an up-tempo blast-beat, rocking straight into an almost country-picking guitar lick, a firm bass riff and hard-rock drums. There's a definite sensation of déja-vu, a feelng of familiarity . Now where has this been heard before..? A short solo sax, slightly distanced, takes over, but is immediately pushed aside by the urgent guitar/bass/drums. Follows a few bars of chundering and drum break; the steady 'chug' makes its presence felt before the riff is back with a vengeance, the guitar now doubled. The pattern continues, with solo sax variants, contrasting with the raw tone of the overdriven bass, and extra guitar layers joining in successively, interspersed with ever more sophisticated drum breaks, each time with a reminder of 'Old Faithful' chugging away, oblivious of the pace that was so innocently set at the start.
There's a leitmotif established right from the start, with the traction engine ticking over with constance, and echoes of a distant funfair evoked by the sax melodies; the theme of the picture is respected without resort to too much cliché. You never know; it just might work.

[color=#800080][b]'Carouhell', from Mornats ...[/b][/color]

Ominous, foreboding, menace. Nonchalant chattering in the background seems heedless of the impending pounding building up. A stomping pace is established, along with a disturbing jangle, like muffled alarm bells. Virtual 'stabs' of brass cut through; the girlish shrieks in the vicinity are provoked by what, exactly..? The disquietening ringing fades away, replaced with equally unsettling murmurings and sound effects, which break into a rather mocking cross between a cheezy Farfisa organ and a hurdy-gurdy, playing a strnge mixture of half-jazz, half-circus, half-theatre interlude music. The stomping has mutated into a more classic, but just as enthusiastically pummelling drum set, adding to the incongruety. Diabolical mocking laughter rings out, doing nothing to allay our troubled state, the organ continues unabated with a brash melody, then relapdes into its vamped travesty of euphony before desisting behind one last derisive cackle. The crowd continue their chatter; perhaps the worst has been averted..?
There is ample expression of the theme here, with the pounding pace and rhythm well match the locomotive; the carnaval is represented through the crowd 'noises off'. There's a certain lack of cohesion in the evolution of the piece, but the global effect aimed for is attained.

[color=#800080][b]'All the fun...', from lurksalot ...[/b][/color]

Ah..! A funfair..! A nice waltz-time carousel theme..! Oh, that was just the intro; we're into the 'real' compo now. A bit of a 'stomping' beat, an enthusiastic crowd and a lilting organ stabs out the melody. Now it's joined by an orchestra, filling out more and more, the audience ever more appreciative. Every sort of variation is thrown in, all retaining an authentic link to the theme, as if in the imagination of a listener, extrapolating the basic sounds, adding progreessively to the complexity of the already rich harmony. The dream comes to an end; reality pierces the bubble and the piece ends with a flourish, rightly applauded by the assistance. Does it fit the picture..? Not 'alf it does, eh..? Where's me toffee apple, me ol' china..?

[color=#800080][b]'Scream If You Wanna Go Faster!', from Leonard Smalls ...[/b][/color]

It's not so much a problem (well, it is, but ignoring that...) as a philosphical challenge. From the start, one is inclined... (well, I say 'one'; I really mean me, of course...) I was saying, one is inclined to 'fast forward', or even to end the session as abruptly as the 'music'. I have, however, for my pains, a conscience, which disallows such behaviour. I said I'd review the works; revue them I shall. Still, I can't really write what I think of it [Tommy Cooper] "Just like that..!", I need to at least try to find something, anything, that's not too defametory. Hmm... I'll have to listen again; there's no other way. What was that..? A crafty shift there... Was that a spoken phrase..? Hey, it's been sped up, but the voice has sped down..! That's almost a neat trick..! The drumming not half bad, either; better than the too-often abused disco big beats. That's a positive remark, isn't it..?
Yes, the more one listens, the more one hears good bits, carefully hidden away, tiny nuggets that require intensive sifting amongst the silt clogging it up. But that's the point, isn't it..? This stuff needs listening to, again and again. Forget the initial pain, the bleeding ears soon heal and a grainy image forms in the mind, twisted and distorted, somewhat elusive; as soon as I think I've caught a glimpse it's swept away from earshot, to be followed by another, equally disturbing flash of insight.
I do so wish Lenny would get his bass repaired, though.

[color=#800080][b]'Acid at the carnival', from christofloffer ...[/b][/color]

Giggles, almost hysterical, as a pipe organ churns out it's 3/4. Sturdy basses resonate boldly, a carillon peeps out timidly from behind the lay of the air. The melody chiming out in the background seems disjointed, although its rippling cascades are pleasant enough. The chortling continues unabated as the chimes edge forward; the organ and its basses slink away, leaving the peals of ringing and the peals of laughter have share the front of stage. The tittering is twisted towards the end; this is a strange, but fair, interpretation of an 'amusement park'. Jolly Good (but I'd recommend reducing the dose, just the same...).

I'll try to post others as and when they drift in; my apologies in advance if I can't do 'em all.

To be continued, hopefully...

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1505088224' post='3369427']

I do so wish Lenny would get his bass repaired, though.

[/quote]

Cheers Mr D! Good to see Play Of The Day returning!
I'm glad you liked my haunting little melody... I say Liked, I mean Tolerated. And by Tolerated, I mean you'd probably prefer to be Edward The Second than have to listen to my offering ever again :)
Anyway, there is bass all the way through; the 3:4 section at the beginning is harmonised through a Vielklang VST, and the D'n'B bit has low mid and bass turned right up, with a low pass set at 250Hz and plenty of New York Glue on both - Wal in each case... And drums were largely played on the fly by lil'ol me (you can tell...)

Thanks for the write-up :) The general incohesion in mine was totally due to me wanting to throw off anyone suspecting that my Doom array was going to come in and absolutely wasn't anything to do with throwing that one out quickly. Nur-hur.

The background talking/yells etc. is one of the atmospheric pads from Ethera Soundscapes. Some nice little gems in there.

Oddly enough, I've not found this month's pic as easy to write for as the previous 2 months. Maybe it's because I already have songs written by other people that I associate with the pic.
I'm trying to meld them all together. I've recorded some bass & laid down some organs (easy now). I've got some steam & now I'm working on the beats. Hopefully get it finished soon. :)

This is my effort, I get a sinsiter feel from the picture, fairgrounds have always for me felt quite moody places. The ones from the youth were full of violence and debauchery. Ive tried to capture a psychedelic under the influence experience at the fair, which is what i get from the colours and the out of focus figure near the steam engine. Theres also a nod to shennigans that I obseved at the Unfairground at Glastonbury. The title is named after the Ghost Train at our local fair called The Bone Rattler. Thank you for listening.

https://soundcloud.com/thevelvetknock/the-bone-rattler-demo