Why become a member? ×

EB Musicman Stingray 2 Band EQ

petetexas

Hi Giys ,

I have been using a used Stingray now for about 4/5 weeks , never really satisfied with the sound .

My set up is Stingray > VT Bass > Markbass LM800 > 2 GK 2x12 Neo cabs . The VT Bass used to warm it up a bit .

I always have to watch the volume from the VT Bass , due to overloading the input of the Markbass head.

Spent a couple of hours on the net yesterday , reading about different peoples "settings" with the 2 band eq . Some were

saying the Bass control is boost only , and the Treble was boost and cut , others were saying they both are boost and cut

and some were saying that both were boost only .

However , last night ( standing in with a Stones Tribute Band ) I bypassed the VT Bass , and went direct into the

Markbass, with everything set at 12 `clock on the head .

I set the Bass on the Stingray full on , and brought in the Treble gradually to get enough clarity ...........WHAT A

DIFFERENCE ! ! ! ! ! !

Playing again with them tonight , so I will see if this is it , or was it just a fluke !

Let you know

Pete

On my 2eq I have the bass at about 80-90% and the treble rolled in just enough to get some bite. I roll the treble and volume off just slightly if using a pick.

On my amp it's treble and bass flat at 12 o'clock with the two mid range frequencies at 11 o'clock.

It took me some time to get everything to where I need it to be, but now I have, that's where it's staying.

NO FLUKE !

Last night was an absolute pleasure playing , the sound was a good " old school " sound ( just right for a Stones Tribute Band ! )

Bass eq full on , treble brought in slightly to get some clarity .

The one issue I still have , is that the top G seems quieter than the rest of the strings , even though the pup is tilted ( .190" gap from

pup top to bottom of G string , and .250" gap pup top to bottom of E string .

The bass is set up exactly to the spec`s from MM apart from this .

I use EB Super Slinky ( 100, 80, 65, 45 )

Edited by petetexas

[quote name='petetexas' timestamp='1504429115' post='3364720']

The one issue I still have , is that the top G seems quieter than the rest of the strings , even though the pup is tilted ( .190" gap from pup top to bottom of G string , and .250" gap pup top to bottom of E string .
[/quote]

Firstly try and check the front of house sound as it may not be producing the same effect as you're hearing. If still an issue, if you drop the bass boost back a little you will find more mid range will appear in the sound which may even it out.

Failing all that, boost the mid range on the amp a little.

I have never felt the need to mess around with the pick up poles on a Stingray (I have 9 of them) - and have found them to produce an even FOH sound and record evenly also, across the strings - I'm not even convinced it makes any difference at all (other than lowering the resale value!!).

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1504454234' post='3364964']
Firstly try and check the front of house sound as it may not be producing the same effect as you're hearing. If still an issue, if you drop the bass boost back a little you will find more mid range will appear in the sound which may even it out.

Failing all that, boost the mid range on the amp a little.

I have never felt the need to mess around with the pick up poles on a Stingray (I have 9 of them) - and have found them to produce an even FOH sound and record evenly also, across the strings - I'm not even convinced it makes any difference at all (other than lowering the resale value!!).
[/quote]

Conversely, both of mine exhibit the quiet G.

[quote name='Jack' timestamp='1504459241' post='3365006']

Conversely, both of mine exhibit the quiet G.
[/quote]

Do you mean recorded or when heard whilst stood a couple of feet in front of your amp? If they are 3 band instruments have you tried altering the mid range? That usually has a major impact (you can hear the change by playing G string harmonics also). If 2 band boost the mid range on your amp or drop the tone controls back a bit to introduce more mid range.

Edited by drTStingray

Thanks drTStingray ,

That has helped a great deal ( at home with my practice amp anyhow ) it seems a lot more balanced now .

Will try at practice with the full rig .

Glad of these kinds of forums , where there is a vast knowledge base within the users , which helps others !

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1504478982' post='3365187']
Do you mean recorded or when heard whilst stood a couple of feet in front of your amp? If they are 3 band instruments have you tried altering the mid range? That usually has a major impact (you can hear the change by playing G string harmonics also). If 2 band boost the mid range on your amp or drop the tone controls back a bit to introduce more mid range.
[/quote]

Both recorded and live. And headphones, old school rigs, straight into a frfr cab, everywhere. It's not an eq issue at all, otherwise it would affect equivalent notes played on the other 3 strings. It's simple, the whole string sounds thinner and weaker.

Now, I'm but complaining as such. I loved my first Ray so much I bought another, but only because I successfully mitigated (although not cured) the issue via the pole piece trick. Next time I might try the magnet fix as suggested by Leo Fender himself.

Took the Bull by the Horns last night , and carefully moved the pup pole under the G to the same height as the middle two - so now

the A, D and G poles the same height from pup cover ...........................an improvement again in balance across the output .

Something I have noticed , the new set of EB strings I put on two weeks ago , are showing signs of rust - this NEVER happened when

I use Fender strings . Looking at the strings on my Jazz ( which have been on for at least four months - dull sound but NO rust )

Might put a set of Fender strings on the Musicman , and try again .

[quote name='petetexas' timestamp='1504648767' post='3366392']
Hi jack ,

What is the magnet fix suggested by Leo Fender ?
[/quote]

Show the picture again Howard.... @BassDoc....

Basically, you put science classroom style cylinder magnets on the G pole pieces to make them higher.

Edit, ok, so you can't tag members in this forum!

Edited by Jack

I honestly only like the 2eq StingRays, have owned a ton of them.
Once I find where I like the eq settings of the StingRay, I unscrew the knobs and carefully reposition the knobs (including the volume knob) so all the grub screws are facing straight up. Since there is no detents, the grub screw facing up indicates where 'home' is for me at a glance, or in case a knob gets bumped.

• 4 weeks later...

I owe two 1990 stingrays and I have under my eyes an official Musicman brochure from 1990 and I can tell you 100% that both bass and treble are boost and cut. At least for the stingrays from that period I don't know for the new one

Edited by pfonck334

[quote name='pfonck334' timestamp='1507103363' post='3383270']
I owen to 1990 stingrays and I have under my eyes an official Musicman brochure from 1990 and I can tell you 100% that both bass and treble are boost and cut. At least for the stingrays from that period I don't know for the new one
[/quote]

Yes, always were from the start and still are!!