Why become a member? ×

NAD - Form Factor Audio Bi1000

Cuzzie

So people of Basschat land, today is a new amp day, can i present the Form Factor Audio Bi1000. 1000w RMS of clean transparent power amplification.
I took a complete punt on this amp. They have a good rep in PA speakers in the states and this is their first toe into the amp world.
It's been around for 1-2 years and has a few artists like Taylor Swift's and Mylie Cyrus' bassist that use them. Also Steve Aurajo at the bass hang has given it great reviews and speaking to him on email he also gave it a massive thumbs up.
I also spoke heavily to a guy on talkbass who seems pretty high in the world of bass, he has played with George Lynch and other rock gigs, and he also rated it highly.

Previously I had a Hartke LH1000, then moved to Darkglass M900, but I have been using less and less dirt and craved more the simplicity of the Hartke in a lighter weight package. In addition I am pretty happy with my tone via my board so I wanted something just to pump out what I give it.

Never played it first, and I saw a great deal and managed to get hold of this amp brand spanking new

The specs are as follows

SPECIFICATION:

Model: Bi 1000
Configuration: 1 x 1000 Watts | Class D Amplifier
Power Rating: Power 1000 Watts RMS @ 4Ω | 600 Watts RMS @ 8Ω
IN/OUT: Active| Passive | Tuner | Send | Return | Amp Direct | Direct Out | Speaker Out
Connectors: 2 x NL4 Speakon™ | 1 x Powercon™ | 6 x Neutrik 1/4" | 1 x Balanced XLR
Finish Options: Powder Coated Steel
Finish Color: Black
Controls: Gain | Limiter | Master | Mute
Tone Controls: Bass | Mid | Mid Frequency Selector Selector | Treble
Weight: 10Lb | 4.5 Kg

This was copied from the web site (they also do a 400w version).

First impressions.

Well made, rugged chassis, with a slightly rough finish, but nice rough. It's solid and feels it's weight, which is fairly light, not the lightest.
The power supply is not a normal kettle lead, it's a speakon type connection which I like, and they gave me 2 leads with European plug ends.
The voltage has to be set in the factory, there is no switch.

Dials are really simple, straight up is flat, then it's boost or cut, you select your mid frequency you want to affect with the central dial.
Knobs feel nice, sturdy and tactile.
The mute button is big and glows bright Luke sky walker light sabre green when engaged.
No pops turning on and off or plugging and unplugging instruments.
There is no fan so it is deathly quiet, small white noise from the solid state pre amp when on, but obviously disappears when muted, this is certainly not very noticeable unless you are not playing and sat right next to it in a silent room.

On to the sound - only played at bedroom volume (next step is mrs out the house volume) very articulate, transparent clear and reactive. You pluck it transmits your bass sound, you play hard/soft etc it reproduces it.
Loads of bass on tap on the dial, the mid selector works very well and you can tweak away as you need.

I have not put my pedals through it yet, but I do not see why it would not be good.

One bad point is the DI is affected by vol and gain, you turn up on stage, the DI to FOh goes up too.

So far so good, I really like it, it's a powerful articulate with a great tone that lets your bass shine through.

I will update as it goes along, and I think I may just have the first one in the UK!!!

Congratulations Cuzzie!!

My "sources" inform me that the family business behind these amps are very highly regarded in the US for their cabs and they have invested circa $200K in R&D to come up with an amp head that matches the quality of their cabs. Glockenlang are often mentioned when folk are thinking of a European comparable.

[i]"The warmth of an SVT, the responsiveness of an Aguilar DB 750 and the quality and clarity of an Avalon Studio Preamp".[/i]..NAMM 2016

Nice review by Steve Arujo [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCc92xS9TBA"]https://www.youtube....h?v=dCc92xS9TBA[/url]

Apparently you can plug in a preamp into the "amp in" and bypass the FF's EQ and use it as a pure power amp so I suspect that combined with your pedals you will be able to craft exactly the sound that you are after.

...looking forward to hearing more of how you're getting on with this and I definitely can't guarantee to avoid a bout of GAS, if it turns out to be just half as good as the reviews! :)

Edited by Al Krow

Great review, looking forward to hearing your thoughts on what it can deliver at gig volume.

[quote name='Cuzzie' timestamp='1504390840' post='3364621']

The mute button is big and glows bright Luke sky walker light sabre green when engaged.

[/quote]

If Form Factor base their marketing campaign on this statement alone these will sell by the truck load B)[size=4] [/size]

Yeah it's pretty good and secure, only problem is if you forget it or lose it then you are a bit stuffed.
Fortunately they packed me with 2 which is pretty decent especially as they have to get it made specifically.

By all accounts from other people on Talkbass and speaking to an endorsed artist they do look after you.
I experienced that so far

Ok

First step up is turn up in the house and see what the amp can do.

It's loud and crisp and accurately represents what you throw at it.
I played it raw from my Sandberg bases - nice sound, clean and crisp, the dials do what they say on the tin-straight up flat, counter clockwise cut and clockwise boost, loads of bass on tap.
Select the Mid frequency you want to affect, it's a nice big dial that clicks at each level, and bingo you do the same.

I threw my pedals at it and it gave me what I wanted to hear. The pedals were a Hartke VXL, MXR Bass chorus deluxe, Cali76G, Two Notes LeBass.
All through my BF Supertwin

Did I mention it was loud?!

It copes admirably and as you turn up so does it with no jumps and spikes from one level to another.

Happy bunny so far for a clean transparent tone with presence

Next step Loud outside the home..

Well worth a consideration for people in bass land.

They also do a 400w version