Why become a member? ×

Mono M80 Bass Bag

funky8884

For protecting your bass, they are really good. If you need to use it to carry your bass on your back for any distance you should try before you buy. I find mine very uncomfortable to wear for more than a few minutes because the straps are too close together at the top and the bottom of the bag slaps against the back of my legs as I walk. When it wears out I'll be looking for something else. Other people don't seem to have a problem with it.

For considerably less money but very similar levels of quality and protection, take a look at the Gator Pro Go or Protection Racket Deluxe base cases. Either one will serve you very well and both have better storage pockets in my opinion. They both run at around £100 - in fact Gator do a double bag for about £40 less than Mono's single M80! Definitely worth checking out...

The "M80" designation covers a lot of gigbags. Yes, they're expensive. They're also bloody well made, and cleverly designed.

If you're not worried about spending an extra £100 then my suggestion would be the M80 Vertigo. I do a lot of pub gigs, usually in very confined spaces, occasionally with wet or dirty floors. The Vertigo is particularly good in those situations.

I have the [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]M80 Vertigo. It is fantastic.[/font][/color]

[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]It's been around the world with me (working on ships), on planes, in vans e.t.c and it hasn't got a mark on it. The Vertigo is worth getting, so much protection on the strap pin its great.[/color][/font]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]C[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]ouldn't recommend it enough. [/font][/color]

My stupid money Marleaux lives in a Mono Vertigo. It's a great bag. Very sturdy, and the vertical loading approach is far more useful than it sounds.

Only downside for me is that the bag itself is quite heavy. Not as bad as a hard case of course, but still worth thinking about if you are walking for miles with it.

[quote name='bazztard' timestamp='1504774334' post='3367164']
The M80 Dual bag is $690 AU.

yes, $690, a couple of hundred more and you have a new Fender MIM . I just bought a second gig bag for $60.

Lets face it,a bag really only protects from small knocks and drops,anything more and a bag is useless.
[/quote]

My Mono M80 bag completely protected by bass when someone knocked my EBS-Proline 2x10 cab off the 4x10 cab it was stacked on directly onto the bass which was lying on the floor in its case. That's a weighty cab falling about 2 feet. The cab actually bounced off the case and the bass inside was completely unscathed. As I said in my original post the protection the Mono bag provides is excellent, it's a pity it's so uncomfortable for me to wear on my back for any length of time which negates it's usefulness as a gig bag.

Yep fusion bags for me. I did a review of their double gigbag here somewhere. You can customise the inside to fit your bass exactly. Also if you're going to wear it the straps and waist strap mean it's really comfortable and wears in the right position.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1504781725' post='3367243']

My Mono M80 bag completely protected by bass when someone knocked my EBS-Proline 2x10 cab off the 4x10 cab it was stacked on directly onto the bass which was lying on the floor in its case. That's a weighty cab falling about 2 feet. The cab actually bounced off the case and the bass inside was completely unscathed. As I said in my original post the protection the Mono bag provides is excellent, it's a pity it's so uncomfortable for me to wear on my back for any length of time which negates it's usefulness as a gig bag.
[/quote]

My M80 saved by bass from drowning! We put our gear in the designated back room after sound check and went for some food. It rained. A lot. Onto melting snow. When we returned for the gig, the room had about 2" of water on the floor at the end where the gear was stacked. The bass was dry inside!

I agree about the uncomfortable shoulder straps btw

I love my M80, it has been in constant use and had a battering over the years from gigging and it still looks good and no tears or broken zips anywhere. I cant comment on the comfort of wearing it for long walks, I use one strap on one shoulder like a golf club bag and its fine for my short walks. It is massively better quality than a lot of gig bags and similar type cases I have seen (and bought and returned) but you would expect that for the cost.

It will sting a bit when I have to replace it, but it will be worth it, they are VERY good.

I have a couple of M80 cases and think they're excellent, best balancing case ever when you're carrying using the side handle. I don't have the discomfort when wearing both straps, but then i'm not overly broad and only 5'10", so very comfortable to me.
My only minor gripe is that I wish they had a tad more padding in the bottom, but I think that probably just means I'd be a littler better suited to the Vertigo. Will look at that closer if and when they need replacing.

I also have a Fusion F1 bag which is excellent for the money, really good alternatives to the M80, although not quite as comfortable strapped on for me.

Si