Why become a member? ×

Too much "clickety clack"

Pirellithecat

Hi,
Not sure where to post this as it might well be a technique issue, or it might be a set up issue or a string choice issue - or is it just my bass?

I have 3 basses, one is fretless, two are fretful. The issue affects my Ibanez GSR750,

When playing I seem to get a lot of extraneous string noise in the form of unwanted clicks, rattles and buzzes. I've had a luthier give it the once over, and the action adjusted and I've also further adjusted the neck relief which has sorted most of the buzzes out. However, there's still too much mechanical noise for my liking. I recently changed the strings to Black Beauties, but this, if anything has made the issue worse.

I play finger style and can reduce the noise by playing lightly, but that's not always desirable.

I don't get the same issue on my back up Warwick Rockbass Streamer, and, I guess obviously, the fretless is fine.

So is this an Ibanez issue, or a me issue.

There's much to like about the tone of the Ibanez, and the neck profile makes it easy to play, but it is noisey in terms of pickups (bridge pickup) and I'd be interested in other players experience.

Cheers
Ian

By the sounds of it, I wonder if it's either the way you've eq'd the bass (too much treble or mids) or if there's an issue with your left and right hand muting technique? Don't forget that a new set of strings will always sound a bit bright & scratchy before you've played them in..

There will always be a certain amount of fretting noise but that will get lost in the sound of the band (if you're playing in one), but it will show up a bit more when you're practising. If your muting technique is up to scratch, then it's part and parcel of playing a fretted instrument.

If the pickups are noisy, then the bass may not be shielded properly or maybe a loose connection? That being the case, take it to your luthier, who should be able to sort it out for you.

Thanks,
I'll have a practice later and see whether the strings ring or need me to mute them more. However, it's the mechanical noises which bother me, and apart from open strings ringing more than I'd like, ringing isn't the main issue at the moment. But I am starting to realise that muting is something I need to get my head round more.
The particular noise I don't like is the click of the string on the fret as a note is fretted, could be the adjacent fret either up or down the neck, but it's a clear "tap". The action is a little higher than recommended but I suspect if I lower it the problem will be worse. Maybe it is an action/ relief thing. However it has always been an issue with this guitar despite having several different brands of string on it and being set up in the shop and by an independent luthier.

I'm starting to also wonder whether there's something not right with the amp/combo.

Hey Ho, maybe I'll take up mandolin instead.

Cheers

Ian

Without listening to it its impossible to diagnose, but I wonder if its some kind of electrical/earthing issue? Or conversely, the inevitible acoustic noise/sound a bass makes when a note is fretted? Imagine a strong hammer-on, the bass is able to sound the note without the right hand because the hammer-on imparts energy to the string, in the same way the other "half" of the string (okay it might not be half...in fact it will never be half, imagine playing at 12th fret, the other 'half' is from the nut to fret 11) similarly acoustically sounds, resulting in (if purely acoustic) 2 notes sounded a semitone apart.

My other thought it that the luthier is basically rubbish and hasn't identified an obvious issue such as a maladjusted neck, or a fret not level, or a warped neck etc. Or a simple electrical issue.

[quote name='Pirellithecat' timestamp='1504632698' post='3366237']
I recently changed the strings to Black Beauties, but this, if anything has made the issue worse.
[/quote]

Coated strings like Black Beauties will almost inevitably result in more finger noise as your skin 'squeaks' along the plastic. Pretty much every review I've read for those strings mentions this.

Have you tried a decent set of flatwounds? Far less finger noise than either coated strings or roundwounds, a much beefier tone, and - while they cost a fair bit more - they last for EVAH.

Also bear in mind that sitting at home practicing you might hear the strings clicking on the frets, but at gig volume, unless that noise is being transmitted to the amp, it will be lost. I almost always practice at home through headphones so I rarely hear any 'mechanical' noise.

Just a thought.

Ooh and another one, maybe your pickup is too high and the strings are hitting the pole pieces?

Thanks everyone.
The info on the coated strings seems true and I think they are improving a bit with use - shan't get another set though.
I use flatwounds on my fretless and recently got a set of Rotosound 77 Jazz Bass and they are HORRIBLE - like playing fencing wire. They replaced a set of Thomastic Infeld Jazz flatwounds which were great but costly.

On the fretful bass, the unwanted sound is transmitted to the amp and I will lower the pick up height later today - this sounds like a promising course of action, as does using headphones.

I have played around with my muting efforts and part of the problem might be technique as I tend to damp the D and G strings with my right hand fingers as well as my left and this seems to generate a "tap" using the Black Beauties. So, if I play lightly, and don't damp the strings I can reduce the unwanted noises - however this is difficult in faster more aggressive pieces.

I'll let you know!!

Thanks for the help though - I'll persevere a little longer.

Ian