Why become a member? ×

Where are the "roadworn" amps and cabs?

Conan

Because old amps are seen as heavy, inefficient and electrical goods aren't generally known for getting better with age. For that reason (and quite rightly imo) old amps aren't seen as being cool or better. It is however widely accepted that some guitars sound and feel better and look cooler with a degree of "mojo" and history.

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1504698077' post='3366642']
Because old amps are seen as heavy, inefficient and electrical goods aren't generally known for getting better with age. For that reason (and quite rightly imo) old amps aren't seen as being cool or better. It is however widely accepted that some guitars sound and feel better and look cooler with a degree of "mojo" and history.
[/quote]
Oh, I don't know about that...

[url=https://flic.kr/p/RBGMAi][/url]

It sounds the biz too.

It's a commonly held belief that old instruments sound better.
Some even go so far as to say that being played for decades makes the wood align for a better resonance.

I don't think the same belief is held for amps. Being old doesn't necessarily make them sound better, but a lot of times the old designs are sought after....
but you also want to find that old vintage amp in near mint condition, LOL!@

[quote name='matski' timestamp='1504703797' post='3366735']
Just buy Ampeg gear but don't bother with any form of cases - you will have a roadworn bass rig after having loaded it in and out of your car a few times, guaranteed! ;)
[/quote]

Very true! But whereas signs of age on guitars and basses can make them more valuable, damage (let's call a spade a spade here, because that's what it is!) to amps and cabs generally reduces their value. I just think it's interesting...

[quote name='Kevsy71' timestamp='1504858626' post='3367778']
Ooh lovely! What is that..?
[/quote]
It's a Radiovox valve amp. 2 of them were made back in the 60s as part of a sound system, one for each channel. My brother has the other one. Sounds lovely with the bass, but it is 33.4kgs.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1504879491' post='3368008']
It's a Radiovox valve amp. 2 of them were made back in the 60s as part of a sound system, one for each channel. My brother has the other one. Sounds lovely with the bass, but it is 33.4kgs.
[/quote]

Cheers - love the look, very '50s sci-fi spaceship console.

I was looking at a McIntosh 3500 on eBay recently, 55.7 Kg!

In my mind its just as much nonsense as paying more for a brand new instrument, that has been made to look old and beaten up, than a new one in pristine condition. The whole "Its old so it must be better" thing escapes me. I have a 1970s Gibson SG that I wont part with, even though it was badly built and finished when I bought it new. I got it sorted by a luthier back in the day and it plays well. I have tried a number of new SGs over the years, some sound better some have a better neck but I love my old faithful, not cos its "Road worn" or it's better, but because its my old friend. A pre stressed amp or instrument could only ever be that after long and faithful service.

Why is your bass banged up?
I bought it like that brand new.
So you paid someone to make it look old?
Yep.
Why?
Because people would think the bass is older than it is/played more gigs than it has.
Okay...

My bass has 'mojo' caused by me playing the damn thing through countless gigs. I bought it brand new with no roadworn rubbish on it.

Funny how only Fender benders are included in this mojo club...

I have a hypothesis about "road worn" or whatever you call them older instruments vs mint condition ones. If you had a few basses which were similar, you'd usually choose to play the one that sounded best. And as things like Fenders were mass produced with a somewhat variable eye on quality control, they do tend to vary in sound rather a lot. So generally, the most worn looking basses (particularly wear from playing as opposed to neglect) are likely to be the best sounding ones.

I'm not saying that mint condition vintage instruments all sound bad - but do close your eyes when playing them so you don't fool yourself! ;)

Recently I bought and old EB180 combo that looked very 'road worn'. The black carpet had mould growing on it, unknown species of animal hair, and the previous owners cat had scratched off the carpet entirely on one side. It had genuine mojo through hard use over a long period of time. I paid £30 quid to take it off the owners hands as he perceived the wear as excessive and had trouble selling it on. After a re-cover in new black carpet it was transformed & looked like new. I had no trouble selling it on for £120 within a few days. The point is amps and cabs that look beat up usually have had hard use, been neglected and are less desirable. Relic'd instruments are fashionable these days but I suspect a lot of players prefer well kept and good overall condition amps and cabs and will try and protect them from damage. Good condition usually increases resale value. There are exceptions though, something like a road worn SVT and 810e with no tolex on the back and sides might appeal to some. Also, how something sounds can sway a decision in my experience but if it looks good it generally does help. I can't think why someone would want to spend a lot of money on a deliberately road worn bass cab for their rig at new retail prices. It would be interesting to gauge whether relic'd amps and cabs was more of a guitarist thing than a bassist thing. I feel a poll coming on :)

[quote name='lownote12' timestamp='1504935204' post='3368372']
Its easy with Barefaced cabs. They're programmed to incrementally distress with time. I look after mine like a baby and yet the Tolex is starting to peel.
[/quote]

We had some adhesive problems with early tolexed cabs. I thought they'd all been sorted. If you'd like some help then please email us.

[quote name='dangoose' timestamp='1505435638' post='3371943']
Recently I bought and old EB180 combo that looked very 'road worn'. The black carpet had mould growing on it, unknown species of animal hair, and the previous owners cat had scratched off the carpet entirely on one side. It had genuine mojo through hard use over a long period of time. I paid £30 quid to take it off the owners hands as he perceived the wear as excessive and had trouble selling it on. After a re-cover in new black carpet it was transformed & looked like new. I had no trouble selling it on for £120 within a few days. The point is amps and cabs that look beat up usually have had hard use, been neglected and are less desirable. Relic'd instruments are fashionable these days but I suspect a lot of players prefer well kept and good overall condition amps and cabs and will try and protect them from damage. Good condition usually increases resale value. There are exceptions though, something like a road worn SVT and 810e with no tolex on the back and sides might appeal to some. Also, how something sounds can sway a decision in my experience but if it looks good it generally does help. I can't think why someone would want to spend a lot of money on a deliberately road worn bass cab for their rig at new retail prices. It would be interesting to gauge whether relic'd amps and cabs was more of a guitarist thing than a bassist thing. I feel a poll coming on :)
[/quote]

Where did you get the cab re-carpeted? Or did you do it yourself? My EBS has got a certain amount of cat damage which I'd love to get repaired if possible.

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1505295400' post='3370765']
I have a hypothesis about "road worn" or whatever you call them older instruments vs mint condition ones. If you had a few basses which were similar, you'd usually choose to play the one that sounded best. And as things like Fenders were mass produced with a somewhat variable eye on quality control, they do tend to vary in sound rather a lot. So generally, the most worn looking basses (particularly wear from playing as opposed to neglect) are likely to be the best sounding ones.

I'm not saying that mint condition vintage instruments all sound bad - but do close your eyes when playing them so you don't fool yourself! ;)
[/quote]

Eric Clapton likes guitars with a bit of wear and tear. He likes the idea that somebody has taken the time to wear them in for him. He calls them 'players'.