Why become a member? ×

Muting bass alters intonation

Bloc Riff Nut

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1505381642' post='3371432']
Mine was in front of the bridge so killed the sound. Everyone I knew removed the foam, even if they didn't take the ash trays off.
[/quote]

Sorry to pick on your quote chris_b - but would you guys (and Carol Kaye) be intimating ........ that Leo got this element of the P bass wrong? Blimey...

Mind you I've heard Carol Kaye describe P basses generally in less than glowing terms in the past.

And he did fix it on the Mustang as I understand so was happy to improve on designs.

Edited by drTStingray

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1505404043' post='3371684'] Sorry to pick on your quote chris_b - but would you guys (and Carol Kaye) be intimating ........ that Leo got this element of the P bass wrong?[/quote]

Leo changed almost everything about the original Precision bass so he wasn't perfect . The parts industry certainly wouldn't have prospered so well if he was and neither would the dozens of P and J builders.

It shouldn't have taken a genius to work out that after roundwound strings came out in 1966 that there was no point in providing the foam mute as standard, but they kept installing it for years, like the strap button on the back of the headstock and the tug bar.

When the likes of Clapton and Mike Bloomfield wanted unwound 3rd strings, in the late 60's, Leo refused to supply them because he didn't think guitars should be played like that! Fender were good but have never been infallible.