Why become a member? ×

Compact amps with 2 ohm, or 2 x 4 ohm outputs - suggestions?

lowregisterhead

Over the last few years I've slowly slimmed what was once a vast rig down to two EBS 210's (4 ohms each) coupled with a GK MB800 Fusion head, which I like a lot. The only downside is I've had to build a series speakon adapter to bring the impedance of the two cabs up to 8 ohms, as the GK won't run into 2 ohms.

I'm looking into what the options are for a lightweight, preferably rack-mountable head of 500 watts + capable of 2 ohms (or two x 4 ohms) to take its place. So far I've found Genz Benz, TecAmp, and Thunderfunk. I haven't tried any of them yet, but what other choices are there out there? Thanks in advance for any and all input!

Edited by lowregisterhead

[quote name='lowregisterhead' timestamp='1504722423' post='3366913']
The only downside is I've had to build a series speakon adapter to bring the impedance of the two cabs up to 8 ohms, as the GK won't run into 2 ohms.

[/quote]

I'd be interested in finding out more about this cable.
I have and EBS 110 250watts at 8ohms and a 115 300watt at 4ohms with an Ampeg PF800 head 400watts at 8ohms or 800watts at 4ohms minimim load.

I'm not sure what your budget is, but the Bergantino B|Amp is stunning. It's stable down to 2 Ohms and just sounds superb! There's also a cheaper option, the Bergantino Forte that I haven't had the chance to try but it's essentially a cut down version of the B|Amp but the signal path components are all the same.

The Carvin BX700 amp I have goes down to drive a 2 Ohm load. This is selected with a switch on the back of the amp from 4 Ohm loads. It is lightweight with 2 EQ sections (switchable) and a valve (switchable) in the pre-amp stage.

I have mine for sale here on Basschat:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/310949-carvin-bx700-amp/"]Carvin BX700 Amp[/url]

[quote name='Dazlexic101' timestamp='1504726420' post='3366954']
I'd be interested in finding out more about this cable.
I have and EBS 110 250watts at 8ohms and a 115 300watt at 4ohms with an Ampeg PF800 head 400watts at 8ohms or 800watts at 4ohms minimim load.
[/quote]

Here you go... http://speakerimpedance.co.uk/?page=calculator

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1504726501' post='3366956']
I'm not sure what your budget is, but the Bergantino B|Amp is stunning. It's stable down to 2 Ohms and just sounds superb! There's also a cheaper option, the Bergantino Forte that I haven't had the chance to try but it's essentially a cut down version of the B|Amp but the signal path components are all the same.
[/quote]

Looks very nice Dood, thanks for the recommendation! I was wondering if I could somehow find the readies for a Thunderfunk TFB800-B2, but with duty and tax, it's about 2 grand! The B|Amp looks great though. I will investigate further.

[quote name='lowregisterhead' timestamp='1504808579' post='3367525']
Looks very nice Dood, thanks for the recommendation! I was wondering if I could somehow find the readies for a Thunderfunk TFB800-B2, but with duty and tax, it's about 2 grand! The B|Amp looks great though. I will investigate further.
[/quote]

No problem! I've reviewed the B|Amp, but I haven't had my hands on the Forté yet which promises to be very good too.

Here's some bloke who seems to like it a lot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHoNNtuOpsc

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1504808756' post='3367528']
No problem! I've reviewed the B|Amp, but I haven't had my hands on the Forté yet which promises to be very good too.

Here's some bloke who seems to like it a lot:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHoNNtuOpsc[/media]
[/quote]

Yeah, watched it this morning - very interesting!

[quote name='vsmith1' timestamp='1504772250' post='3367142']
The Carvin BX700 amp I have goes down to drive a 2 Ohm load. This is selected with a switch on the back of the amp from 4 Ohm loads. It is lightweight with 2 EQ sections (switchable) and a valve (switchable) in the pre-amp stage.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/310949-carvin-bx700-amp/"]Carvin BX700 Amp[/url]
[/quote]

Thanks, I'd already seen that listing, and although it would probably do the job, I'm looking for something a little more high-end. I'm either just very picky, or a terrible amp snob - you can decide! The truth is I know nothing about Carvin gear.

[quote name='vsmith1' timestamp='1504772250' post='3367142']

[/quote]
[quote name='lowregisterhead' timestamp='1504809291' post='3367535']
Yup, there's even on for sale here on BC. Call me a snob, but I'm looking for something a bit more substantial...
[/quote]
[quote name='lowregisterhead' timestamp='1504809498' post='3367537']
Thanks, I'd already seen that listing, and although it would probably do the job, I'm looking for something a little more high-end. I'm either just very picky, or a terrible amp snob - you can decide! The truth is I know nothing about Carvin gear.
[/quote]

OK, as you asked, you're a snob :D

Seriously, I'd have put the Carvin at least as high end as GK or Genz Benz. I bought mine after a/b testing against the Aguilar Tonehammer and felt the Carvin won hands down. I've got the 500w version, and although I now swap between this and a newly acquired Fender Pro 800 the Carvin's going nowhere.