Why become a member? ×

Need advice on onboard preamp/effect device

VoodooChild

I want to add a something to my bass but don't know what to get. Usually i play all passive but when I want to play a bass solo my sound does not work at all (I play flats and my sound is all about the low and low mid end of the spectrum). It's a jazz kind of bass and for now i go to my bridge piuckup for the bass solos (i do not like to carry pedals around).

What i want is a device that i put in my bass, one that does not need extra pot's (i like to keep the passive setup as it is and rather not drill any more holes anywhere). If i can adjust the settings once with a little screwdriver and let that thing disappear in my bass that would be perfect. It's supposed to make me louder, give me a distinct solo sound (scoop EQ?) and if possible even some grid and compression. Activation should be via switch (have one in my control plate already anyways). 18V would be great, 9V work too. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

EDIT: fixed the ctrl-v issue

Edited by VoodooChild

I think what you want is not something on your bass. In an idealy functioning active bass, with a perfect guitar lead you shouldnt' be able to tell the difference between passive and active. The difference people hear are bad active circuits or treble loss in a passive lead.

Given that you also don't want to change the instrument and you just want to cut through in a solo, the idea approach to that is to have it in a footpedal. That way there is no change to the bass, no having to fiddle with anything on the bass when you should be playing it, and when you want to change the sound, kick down and you are done.

^ Deleted my comment as it no longer made sense, yet it lives on!

You'd struggle to find an on-board pre that gave you EQ, grind and compression, yet alone one with no knobs. I think you are looking for a pedal...

I don't think you are looking for a scooped EQ for a solo sound if you are used to moving to the bridge pickup, which is very midrange focused. More like a mid boost? I'm quite into the Fairfield Accountant for solo/boost purposes at the moment - leave the switches in one place, then all you have is a volume knob, and it gives a bit of boost, grind and compression all in one tiny box. In fact you could probably rehouse it in your bass without too much trouble!

[media]https://youtu.be/cumlB6lUU-Y?t=129[/media]

Edited by dannybuoy

Rip the guts out of a TC Spectracomp and install it in the bass with a 9v battery. Set up a toneprint with high gain and compression and use your switch to patch it in or solos.

Even easier, just tape the mini pedal and a battery to your strap and use it that way (as long as you can hit the stomp switch while playing).

Edit: Fairfield circuitry accountant above looks even better for this being analogue.

Edited by No. 8 Wire

[quote name='Skybone' timestamp='1504807614' post='3367513']
If you want to keep the bass as a passive, then why not look at adding an EQ pedal?

Does the same thing that you want, and you can easily switch it off when you've finished solo-ing, without the hassle of flicking a switch on your guitar.
[/quote]

My suggestion too. Try one and practice boosting the different mid range frequencies rather than pushing the total level up. The beauty of this is that you can change your solo voice easily but also easily recall the settings you like without a screwdriver!

I have an old Dan Armstrong Yellow Humper (Google it) which KiOgon kindly modified for me so that I could install it inside my P bass.
It now has one mini toggle switch to bypass the circuit completely so it can still run in passive.
When it is switched on a second mini (3 way) toggle selects the settings.
Centre position is flat eq but slightly boosts the signal so is effectively just a buffer.
Up position is a bass boost.
Down position is both bass and treble boost.

The Yellow Humper is unfortunately no longer made but the circuit diagram is easy to find online if you're any good with electronics.

• 2 weeks later...