Why become a member? ×

Warped Pickguard

SPHDS

Hi, I know this might be a non-starter/pointless question......but here goes......!

I have an Ibanez JetKing Bass that I have had for a while.......trouble is that over time the two pickguards (one on the top portion of the body above the pickups and the other below, into which the pots are screwed) have warped (probably due to heat/cool/heat cool etc.....) and so between screws it is lifting from the body (quite considerably in places)

Is there any way to remedy this....or is it a lost cause.....?

Cheers

Sam

I did once heat up two large flat blocks of wood in the oven, remove them and clamp the pickguard between them, left it overnight, next day perfik!

I can't remember what temperature/gas mark it was though :rolleyes: but the wood wasn't on fire :D

I would choose the things you clamp it with to have a very smooth surface, and be larger than the guards, as a textured surface may leave an indelible impression under heating, and an unwanted line if smaller than the guard. It sounds obvious, but one of these has happened to me :)
I seem to remember getting a good outcome using a hairdryer with a guard still screwed to the body. This would have been on a poly finish, not nitro.
Good luck!

I've done a few (occupational hazard of fixing up old Japanese guitars) and had good results with hand-hot water followed by compression on kitchen worktop under flat/heavy object.

A hairdryer/heat gun could work too but be careful, concentrating too much heat on one area could easily wreck the whole thing.