Why become a member? ×

New £50 guitar day!

Evil Undead

Hey everyone!

This is a total impulse buy, but I'm pretty happy with it for £50 (including a stand haha). I wasn't looking for a guitar, but was browsing marketplace on Facebook and up this popped - I love pacificas especially maple neck ones, which don't seem to appear for sale often.

The guy said he doesn't play any more so just wanted rid, wife wanted the space for other stuff :D

It badly needed a setup so I've done a quick job, but it also needs new strings so I'll do a proper set up then.

Seller said he'd never adjusted the truss rod in all the years he had it (considering the terrible set up I believe him!) so when I got it home I had a go - it was very stiff so I pulled back on the neck to ease up the pressure, tried turning it again and heard a loud crack - thought I'd broken it. But it still turns quite stiffly and has had a very positive effect on the relief, so I think it was loosening up rather than broken, fortunately.

I think I did alright

Edited by Evil Undead

Nice, well done. I've had a couple of Pacificas and with a decent set up and a few little upgrades they were good enough to gig with.

It's a scary moment when you hear that crack isn't it? :o Had it with a customer's Yamaha bass, when I was adjusting the truss rod. Like you, I thought it had broken but it is just the nut loosening after having been locked in position for years.

Like all Yamahas, the Pacificas are well built and now you've managed to shift the truss rod it should prove a good instrument; for just £50! Upgrade the pickups, as suggested above, and you'll have a cracking guitar.

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1504858384' post='3367773']
Nice, well done. I've had a couple of Pacificas and with a decent set up and a few little upgrades they were good enough to gig with.

It's a scary moment when you hear that crack isn't it? :o Had it with a customer's Yamaha bass, when I was adjusting the truss rod. Like you, I thought it had broken but it is just the nut loosening after having been locked in position for years.
[/quote]

Very scary! I was nervous of truss rods for years, but now I'm just like eh... if it breaks, it breaks, but hope it doesn't haha

• 2 weeks later...

That's a great find for £50, Pacificas seem great! Is it a 112? I picked up an 012 from eBay a few months ago and it's fantastic. I prefer it to my old Epi SG Special I used to own (like comparing apples and oranges, admittedly) and a friend who played it became an instant convert.

[quote name='Rikki_Sixx' timestamp='1505924471' post='3375292']
That's a great find for £50, Pacificas seem great! Is it a 112? I picked up an 012 from eBay a few months ago and it's fantastic. I prefer it to my old Epi SG Special I used to own (like comparing apples and oranges, admittedly) and a friend who played it became an instant convert.
[/quote]

I'm not sure to be honest! I think it might be from parts - the body is almost definitely a 112J but I never saw one of those with maple neck so maybe the neck is from a 112V?

I think the single ply pickguard is not stock either!